Zoey Stevens (Zendaya) is an average 16-year-old girl who has just moved in with her mother and 4 other boys. Her brother Adam (Adam DiMarco) is always in a rush due to being captain of the basketball team. The youngest one Ben (William Ainscough) is always getting dirty. The middle child: Zach (Conner Cowie) has a habit of making disgusting mixtures (like Pancake Mix). Their dad: Ted (Alexis Paunovic) is the basketball team's coach who wakes everyone up at 6:30 in the morning to be prepared. When Zoey arrives at her high school, Adam quickly abandons her and she makes an unlikely friendship with Rachel (Chanelle Peloso) who shows her to her class.
However, Rachel leads Zoey to the wrong side of the school and she walks in on a science class. She is escorted by Jackson Kale (Spencer Boldman) to the correct room (East 242) and is watched by Taylor Dean (Emilia McCarthy), who becomes jealous of her. Later she arrives at dance tryouts but learns that the pancake mix that Zach made is all over her shoes. When Zoey mixes Taylor's dance routine with her own, Taylor shows her up and sends Zoey and Rachel to the J.V. (Junior Varsity) Team. She goes home to find out the family dog, Humphrey, destroyed her room. Her phone later drops into a bathtub of water, gets thrown out the window, slides down a Solar panel and lands in Humphrey's food bowl. The phone dries out overnight. Zoey arrives at dance practice but learns her group is entirely male and dances horribly. Her dog control app malfunctions and gives commands to boys. She uses the app on her team and it works. When the principal sees that the Junior Varsity team is better than the Varsity team, she proposes a challenge: a dance off competition between the J.V. team and the varsity Team. When Jackson walks in and sees Zoey showing Taylor up, he leaves and Zoey chases him down using the app to make him kiss her. Zoey uses the app on her brothers and stepfather, making them quieter, more focused, cleaner and healthier.
When Zoey learns that Adam has college scouts coming to his basketball game, she tries to reverse the app's effects but doesn't know how. The principal schedules the Dance Off for the night of the Basketball Tournament. When Taylor steals Zoey's phone, she tries to find out how Zoey controls boys but fails until Yuki (Louriza Tronco) figures it out. At the game, moments before it starts, Taylor walks in and controls every male in the room. Zoey steps in (and one by one the rest of her family come in) and persuades Taylor to use it on her. At the end Rachel tackles Taylor and the game begins. Zoey figures out how to reverse the app with the word Release, smashes her phone and throws it out, much to Taylor's horror. The basketball game begins and Adam's team wins. The Dance Off begins and as it turns out, the J.V. Team wins with their own creation. At the end it is shown the Zoey and Jackson are dating and Zoey and her stepfamily have finally adjusted to each other. Even though it is not actually shown in the movie, it is commonly believed that after losing the Dance Off, Taylor is suspended.
In a post-credits scene, two students in detention find the phone and it turns on, and it shows the app.
- Zendaya as Zoey Stevens
- Spencer Boldman as Jackson Kale
- Emilia McCarthy as Taylor Dean
- Chanelle Peloso as Rachel Todds
- Adam DiMarco as Adam Thompson
- Louriza Tronco as Yuki
- Lucia Walters as Jeannie Stevens
- Aleks Paunovic as Ted Thompson
- Zapped is based off of the fiction novel Boys Are Dogs.
- Zoey's friend, Rachel, mentions Wizards Of Waverly Place: The Movie when she says "You know how in movies when the main character gets magic powers and everything gets wrong like when they travel back in time and stop their dad from meeting their mom, removing themselves from exsistence.. do you think that's happening now?"
- The US premiere garnered 5.7 million viewers.
- Zendaya was the co-star of the Disney Channel Original Series, Shake It Up.
- Spencer Boldman stars in the Disney XD Original Series, Lab Rats.
- In the book, the main character's name was Annabelle, she didn't have any stepbrothers, and Rachel and Jackson were brother and sister. Neither did she have a app but a book that she used.