- “I may be as pretty as an angel, but I sure as hell ain't one. Hand it over, son.”
- ―Yondu to Star-Lord
As leader of the outlaws known as Ravagers, Yondu and his cohorts pillage their way through the galaxy, taking whatever they want for solely their own benefit.
Yondu found Peter Quill when Peter was a child. Although Yondu raised Peter as a human son, he has a less-than-perfect paternal relationship with him. Yondu also is completely satisfied with his argument against Quill for rebelling against him (his argument is he stopped Quill from getting eaten), repeating it hundreds of times to Peter for 20 years.
In 1988, Yondu was sent to Earth with a mission to take Peter Quill to his father, but instead decided to keep and raise as a Ravager. Being in Morag, Yondu discovers Quill decided to keep the Orb and sell on their own. Later, Quill gives his whereabouts to save Gamora of imminet death. Being on the Yondu's ship, decide to work together, on the condition that Yondu would get the Orb once they had succeeded. During the Battle of Xandar, Yondu kills many to Sakaarans with his Yaka Arrow. Finished with the battle, Peter gives him a false Orb. Later he discovers that inside the Orb is a troll doll but he simply smiles, being thrilled since he collects them.
- In the comics, Yondu was the leader of the Guardians of the Galaxy. However, this version of him was adapted into mainstream Marvel Comics.
- He was hired by Star Lord's dad to bring Star-Lord to him, it's possible that Yondu knows Star Lord's father.
- Yondu has many similarities to that of John Silver:
- Both are leaders of a group of thieves (Silver being a pirate leader and Yondu being the Ravager captain).
- Both serve as father figures to the main protagonists (Jim Hawkins and Peter Quill), but still are at times antagonistic towards them.
- Both show their antagonism towards the hero over the fact and a special sphere object that can give great wealth (In Treasure Planet, the sphere is a map that leads to great treasure. In Guardians of the Galaxy, the orb can be sold to a willing buyer).
- Both end up helping the hero in the end.