It is a semi-sequel to the previous games that Sega produced based on Disney cartoon characters. In the game, Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck are sucked into a magical world, while preparing for a magic act. Now they must survive over a dozen different side-scrolling levels, in order to return home.
The game's music, artwork and animation shows influences from classic Disney animated films, including; Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, The Sword in the Stone, Alice in Wonderland and Pinocchio. The game included many features that broke the standard platforming mold. It also seems to have an inspirational effect on Kingdom Hearts as many of the worlds are visited again.
Mickey and Donald can run, jump, or attack by flourishing their capes, which also trail a cloud of magic dust that temporarily freezes enemies not defeated by the pass of the cape itself. Enemies defeated in this way turn into doves, cards, or other harmless objects depending on the enemy. After defeating the boss of each level, a new magic spell is learned, allowing the pair to traverse the next level; i.e. flying on a magic carpet or going underwater in an air bubble.
The gameplay changes depending on if the player selects Mickey or Donald, in a one player mode, or if two people want to control both characters at once. For instance, Mickey can squeeze through certain gaps, while Donald must find a different route; if both are playing, Mickey can pull Donald through the gap. Either can stand on the other's shoulders to ascend higher, and lower a rope to pull the other up.
Along the way, Mickey and Donald learn new magic to perform in later levels.
- Magic Carpet (Level 1): Allowed Mickey and Donald to fly on a magic carpet in level 2.
- Underwater Bubble (Level 2): Allowed Mickey and Donald to breathe underwater.
- Magic Box Transportation (Level 3): Mickey and Donald could transport to different places using magic boxes.
- Card Control (Level 4): Mickey and Donald put Card Soldiers under their control, making a bridge or a pathway to the other side of a large gap.
Enemies and ObstaclesEdit
- Giant Spider from The Worm Turns
- Six Dragons
- Glut the Shark
- Madam Mim
- Magician Pete from Mickey's Christmas Carol
MegaTech gave the game 90% and a Hyper Game Award, saying that it had "the best graphics of any Disney game yet", but noted that it was very easy to finish. Mega gave the game 82%, saying it was "very easy to complete, and dull in one-player, but fantastic for a couple of youngsters".
- Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse
- Land of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse
- List of Disney video games
- World of Illusion beta - coverage of a prototype version of the game.
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The article or pieces of the original article was at World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck. The list of authors can be seen in the . As with Disney Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|