Wheezy is an innocent rubber toy penguin with a red bowtie who squeaks when you squeeze him. He often sings in a deep, celebratory voice to all his friends, and is also a nervous wreck. Wheezy's best friends were Woody and Buzz Lightyear.
Toy Story 2
In Toy Story 2, Wheezy is once one of Andy's favorite toys until his squeaker breaks. Andy is very upset, and when his mother says she will fix it, she instead leaves Wheezy on the shelf, where he is forgotten as he coughs on dust. He tries to call for help, but his squeaker is still broken.
When Woody's arm is accidentally torn by Andy, he also ends up on the shelf and by chance, discovered Wheezy. He tries to help Wheezy, but there is little he can do to repair him. The asthmatic penguin points out that there is a yard sale outside and that he is likely to be sold. He is among the many toys collected for the sale, so Woody rushes to rescue him. He and Andy's dog Buster runs to the sale and recovers Wheezy, who is grateful for his help. Unfortunately, Woody falls off Buster, who runs back inside the house. He is captured by Al, and this is where the toys' mission to rescue him begins.
Wheezy is later seen when Woody and his friends return home. Wheezy is finally repaired with help from Mr. Shark and sings You've Got a Friend in Me to all of his friends in a deep voice.
Toy Story 3
Wheezy only appeared briefly in the home videos that Andy's mom made of Andy when he was a kid. Later on, Woody commented that Wheezy and toys like him were either given away or sold in yard sales, which suggests that Woody was unable to help him this time like he did before. Wheezy was a silent cameo in the movie, most likely out of respect for Joe Ranft.
Buzz Lightyear of Star Command
In the show's pilot, Wheezy makes a cameo appearance in the film's opening sequence where Joe Ranft reprises his role. Wheezy sees the Buzz Lightyear VHS after it arrives in Andy's room and tells Buzz, "You ought to sign that tape. It might be worth something someday!" Later, in the TV series, Wheezy makes a silent cameo at the intros of the animated series where he is trapped in a box house on fire. Suddenly, Buzz flies by and rescues him. Buzz then goes to watch his TV show with the others.
Toy Story 3: The Video Game
- “Wheezy, the squeaking penguin, has seen better days. Ever since his squeaker broke, he's been marooned on top of a tall bookcase in Andy's room. But given another chance (and a new squeaker), the dapper penguin can still belt out a tune or two.”
- Wheezy originated from the earliest story ideas for the first Toy Story, when it would have starred the main character Tinny from Tin Toy. At that time, it was planned to have been a feature version of Pixar's unmade TV special A Tin Toy Christmas (hence the reason that he's a penguin).
- Wheezy got his name from having asthma.
- Before Toy Story 3 came out, Wheezy was rumored to have a speaking role with a new voice actor. Among the voice actors rumored were Robin Williams, Charlie Adler, Mark Linn-Baker, and Mike Myers.
- In one of the videos on the Toy Story 3 website, his own version of You've Got a Friend in Me is shown, and he is also credited as "Squeak E. Clean."
- Wheezy made a non-speaking cameo appearance in a Toy Story Mania commercial.
- According to Disneystrology, his birthday would be on September 13th.