The Walt Disney Pictures Logo is the logo used for Disney movies. It is basically a shot of the Disney castle.
This was the Walt Disney Pictures logo used from 1985 until 2006.
On a drak purple/blue gradient backdrop, a shower of light descends from the top of the screen, forming a stylized, segmented castle which is a white/purple gradient. The segments seem to be spaced farther apart by the time the light reaches the bottom. Through the main gate of the castle, a white ball of light forms, then extends out to form the words "WALT DISNEY" in the familiar corporate "Disney" logo font. The word "PICTURES" fades in underneath, and a white semi-circular line is drawn over the castle to the bottom left. This version was used until 1989.
From 1990 until 2006, the background is a light blue, and the castle is a lighter blue. The line now stops when it hits the tip of the "W" in "Walt Disney".
A shorter, modified version of the logo was also used for the Walt Disney Television logo.
Depending on the film, the logo is altered to fit the film somehow. Here are some examples:
- The Black Cauldron: The castle is entirely in white, and the music is slightly different. This was the first movie to use this logo.
- Cinderella (1988 video only): The entire logo is tinted in blue.
- Both Oliver and Company and The Little Mermaid used the 1985 logo for their theatrical release (and video in the Walt Disney Classics collection for The Little Mermaid released in 1990), however, their video releases in the Walt Disney Masterpiece Collection (1996 for Oliver and Company and 1998 for The Little Mermaid) use the 1990 logo instead.
- Ducktales the Movie: The logo is shorter and has a chorus.
- All movies released by Pixar up to 2007 use a different version of the logo. Their version uses a CGI castle and lacks the beam of light or segmenting (we just zoom out from the bottom of the castle). A different theme plays as well, and can be heard on the soundtrack of Toy Story
- The Rescuers (1999 video): The logo is silent as it was formed then thunder was heard. Also, the tape uses the 1985 version of the logo than the 1990 version that would have usually been used for the tape. This plasters over the Buena Vista logo.
- "Inspector Gadget": The logo is altered to look more mechanized, and the white curved line is replaced by a gear.
- "Tarzan": After the "flash" that forms the Disney logo text, the background fades to that of a jungle.
- "Bedknobs and Broomsticks (longer version):" The 1997 laserdisc of this film ends with a short logo, but with a black background. (This is not on the current DVD of the film, which has the short logo at the end with the normal blue background).
- Recess: School's Out: After the flash that forms the Walt Disney logo text, T.J., Mikey, Spinelli, Vince, Gus, and Gretchen are shown on each side of the castle, and they play out the rest of the theme with their kazoos.
- "Lilo & Stitch": The logo appears as normal but is followed by a 50's style alien abduction.
- 101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure: After the flash, puppies can be heard barking to the rest of the theme.