Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Velociraptors were dinosaurs that lived in the Cretaceous Period of Mongolia, Asia. The dinosaur was made popular by the 1993 film Jurassic Park, and they also appear as the quaternary antagonists in the 2000 Disney CG film Dinosaur.
Although not evil, they are hunters who need food to survive, but they have no malicious intent. They just care about feeding themselves in order to survive, though they don't care for anybody else.
As Aladar and the lemurs walk through the barren wasteland, they see a Velociraptor go by, Aladar and the lemurs became curious on what it is and decide to check it out. When they found it, the raptor snarls at them, and soon others came along and start chasing them. They soon ran away when the herd, led by Kron, came by. After Aladar walked the opposite direction of the herd, he and the lemurs looked at the herd. Yar was about to convince Aladar not to be in the herd until Zini spots the Velociraptors, whereupon Aladar and his family then decide to join the herd for protection against the raptors. Although very dangerous, the raptors are not seen as a major threat by the adult dinosaurs in the herd, as Eema tells Aladar that they are the only predators following them.
Later as the herd migrates to find some water, Aladar sees one of the dinosaurs, Struthiomimus has died of exhaustion and some Velociraptors coming near by and there were three of them only. With no choice on helping the dead dinosaur, Aladar decides to keep on going, as the raptors soon start to feast on it. A little later, when Eema collapsed, Aladar told her that she must get up without getting eaten, and that the raptors are out there, waiting. However, the Velociraptors have already eaten their fill. Suddenly, two Carnotaurus come and scare them away. They are not seen again for the remainder of the movie.
- The Velociraptors in Dinosaur were originally supposed to have feathers, but they were removed as the team felt that audiences wouldn't take them as a serious threat that way and went with the popular scaly perception.
- Their size is more accurate to their real-life counterpart than those in Jurassic Park.
- In the early stages of the production of Dinosaur, Utahraptor, Velociraptor's larger and lesser known cousin, was originally planned to co-star in the film with its smaller relative. But ultimately, only the more popular Velociraptor made it to the final cut.
- A famous fossil exists of a Velociraptor locked in combat with a Protoceratops (a smaller, distant cousin to Triceratops). Called the "Fighting Dinosaurs", the two were preserved by either a sandstorm or a collapsing sand dune, with the Velociraptor using its deadly foot claws to kill the Protoceratops and the Protoceratops biting the Velociraptor's arm.
- Examination of Velociraptor's eyes indicates that the dinosaur was nocturnal, much like owls.
- In reality, Velociraptor lacked crests unlike those seen in Dinosaur.
- For information on the real dinosaur, click here: