Concept And Creation
Vanessa's role in the film is inspired by the original Andersen tale. In that story, after the prince has been rescued by the mermaid, he is found on the beach by a shrine maiden whom he believes to have saved him. Later on, after the mermaid becomes human, she discovers that the prince will be marrying the maiden. In the end the maiden marries the prince while The Little Mermaid, who chose not to kill the prince and maiden despite the urging of her sisters, dies and ascends to a spiritual rebirth.
Vanessa's place in the film is inspired by the events that transpired in the book. Only now the witch takes the place of the maiden herself, expanding her role as the film's villain.
Vanessa's personality is very similar to her true form's. She is a sadistic and flirtatious woman who takes advantage of others' weaknesses and uses her magic to come out ahead of the game. She is quick to show off more skin than Ariel with her attire - showing her arrogance, and openly admires Eric's body. She takes great glee in the suffering of others, such as when she saw Ariel running away crying and giggled to herself while snuggling closer to Eric sensually, and singing to herself when victory was at hand. Vanessa also has a very quickfire temper when her plans start to go awry, such as when she choked Scuttle, smacked around a few birds, and plucked starfish from herself. She also shares Ursula's ego; believing herself to have already won when she sings to herself, and under no suspicion that something may go wrong with her plans.
However, unlike Ursula, Vanessa is quick to hide these most conspicious traits when in public, going for a more subdued woman who remains demure and sweet by the side of her fiancée in silence. Making others believe that they are the ones in control while she pulls the strings in the dark.
Vanessa's appearance is that of a slender yet voluptuous young woman, similar to Ariel in certain ways. The majority of the similarities they share is that their waists are similar sizes, and their facial structure is nearly on par to each other. The way their hair is shaped is also in an almost similar overhead fashion. It is believed that this was done to make it more believable that she saved Eric. However, Ursula distinguishes herself from Ariel in many notable ways to keep herself from arousing suspicion from Ariel and her friends, at first.
Most noticeably, their hairstyles are different; while Ariel's hair is flaming red and straight, Vanessa's hair is dark brown and wavy. Ariel's hair is parted on the left side of her head while Vanessa's parted in the center. Also, Vanessa's skin is paler than Ariel's, and her eyes are more almond-shaped and are a violet color instead of blue.
Vanessa wears three outfits during her short appearance on screen. The first of these outfits is a majorelle blue corset with a long light pastel purple dress underneath without sleeves, instead using shoulder straps. She wears this on the beach when she is hypnotizing Eric, along with a long cape as well.
Then, just before the wedding ceremony, Vanessa is seen again in another dress. This one is a vanilla under dress to her wedding gown. It reaches down below her neckline, yet does not have the shoulder straps that Vanessa's corset did beforehand. She also wears a pair of black flats.
Vanessa's final dress is a long white wedding dress with ruffles covering the front of it and a split skirt. She has a long veil above her head as well, though unlike Ariel's it is not transparent. She also has shoulder puffs as well, though not as large as Ariel's. The dress ends up being destroyed over the course of Scuttle's attack though. She also wears a pair of white high heels during this time.
And with all three outfits, she wears the nautilus necklace, (holding Ariel's voice) around her neck, until Scuttle destroys it.
Vanessa was capable of hypnotizing people with her (actually Ariel's) voice, and can do so so long as her nautilus survives. Presumably, she was also either a skilled swimmer or possessed teleportation abilities, as evidenced by her arrival at Prince Eric's castle from Ursula's grotto. She also has limited shapeshifting capabilities, which are strengthened with the nautilus.
Presumably, she also has the same abilities as Ursula, although it is not made clear either way if she does.
It's also implied that she was capable of summoning a storm when she needs to even without the nautilus, as evidenced by a storm immediately appearing the second the sunset ended on the third day, and her utilizing it to transform back into Ursula.
When Ariel comes "too close" to succeeding in her task, Ursula decided to take matters into her own tentacles. She takes the form of a beautiful woman, (under the alias "Vanessa"), with Ariel's voice in order to sabotage her relationship with Eric.
On the night of the second day. Ursula, as Vanessa, bewitches Eric to marry her by using Ariel's voice in combination with her magic. Then, on the morning of the third day, Eric announced to Grimbsy that his wedding would be at sunset. All the while, Ariel is watching from the shadows as the mysterious dark haired girl snuggles up to Eric suggestively, until she runs away in tears. When Ariel has left, Vanessa giggles to herself and looks at the nautilus around her neck glowing brightly.
Cut forward to sunset of the third day, and the wedding ship has departed. Vanessa is in her dressing room singing for her victory, all the while unaware that Scuttle, one of Ariel's friends, is spying on her. After a moment, Vanessa looks in a mirror and her true form is revealed. Scuttle panics and flies off to warn Ariel, and gather troops together to the stall the wedding.
When the wedding ceremony begins, Vanessa walks down a line of bowing guests arm-in-arm with a hypnotized Eric. She encounters Eric's sheepdog Max, who angrily growls at her. In retaliation, she kicks Max with an angry pout on her face before raising her head up innocently. After reaching the priest, Vanessa glances over to the setting sun to verify that her scheme is going as planned and smirks wickedly. She then turns to Eric and uses her influence to make him say "I do."
Before Vanessa can say her vows however, Scuttle comes with an attack force of various sea creatures to attack Vanessa. A brief scuffle ensues, played mostly for laughs as Vanessa ineffectively tries to defend herself in an increasingly shrill and vicious manner. As a barrage of animals assault Vanessa, Ariel hops on board just in time to see Scuttle attack Vanessa.
Scuttle bewilders her for a moment, but she retaliates with a choke hold, which nearly suffocates Scuttle until Max shows up and bites Vanessa's butt. Vanessa releases Scuttle and he manages to pry the necklace off her and sends it flying onto the deck. Ariel's voice is freed and Eric is free from Vanessa's spell.
In spite of this, Vanessa nonetheless succeeds in winning the deal as the sun sets before Ariel and Eric can kiss, and Ariel transforms back into a mermaid. Vanessa triumphantly unleashes her true form as Ursula in front of the guests , terrifying them before taking Ariel with her under the sea.
Ursula briefly appeared as Vanessa once on House of Mouse in the episode "House of Crime". Goofy interrogates her, asking if she has seen any disguised villains. She silently answers no, and then transforms back into Ursula when Goofy leaves her table.
Vanessa does not actually appear in the musical, although a workshop version of the musical implied that she was intended to appear with the lyrics for Ursula's second incantation.
Vanessa appears in one of the scenes in Voyage of the Little Mermaid in Disney's Hollywood Studios. Rather than having a Cast Member play her on stage, it's just reused clips from the movie, detailing Vanessa hypnotizing Eric and being attacked by the animals on the Wedding Ship.
In one version of Disney on Ice, the story of The Little Mermaid plays out, along with Ursula making an appearance as Vanessa. In this version, she will transform into Vanessa on the rink and dance a solo for a short while before eventually meeting up with Eric.
The process of her hypnotizing him is shown as them doing a tango together, while Sebastian watches. Interestingly enough, when the tango occurs, an instrumental of the deleted song, "Silence is Golden" plays in the background.
Moving forward, Scuttles discovers that Vanessa is Ursula as he spies on her looking through a hand mirror, prompting him to warn Ariel and gather the animals.
At the wedding, Vanessa's outfit is changed to a large wedding dress, and her movements are more limited as she is being chased by the animals. Scuttle then proceeds to harass her to the point where her wedding dress is in shambles and she is back to her form of Ursula. Max then proceeds to bite Vanessa, causing her to lose Ariel's voice as well.
Vanessa also doesn't appear on the ride. However, guests can hear her evil laughter in the background while Ursula is casting a spell in order to transfer Ariel's voice into the shell necklace. It does trace the guests back into the scene from "Kiss The Girl" where Ursula made a disguise potion when Ariel's voice is still inside the shell necklace.
Ursula changed herself into a beautiful girl to ruin Ariel's chances with Prince Eric. Ariel gave her voice to Ursula when she signed their contract... and Ursula used Ariel's voice to mesmerize Prince Eric. -Jiminy's Journal
Vanessa had a brief appearance in Kingdom Hearts II, where, in a similar fashion to the movie, she manages to brainwash Prince Eric. However, they apparently do not wed unlike the film. They are seen walking down the beach hand in hand towards a crying Ariel, with Vanessa singing, (Part of Your World (Reprise)), to a hypnotized Eric. Sora is quick to point out Eric's dazed expression while Flounder instantly identifies Vanessa as Ursula when he notices the nautilus necklace on her. Sora is quick to act, and fires a bolt from his Keyblade; snapping the necklace off Vanessa, causing it to shatter on the ground. It was too late at this point however, as the sun had already set, and Vanessa had transformed back into Ursula, taking Ariel back with her to the ocean.
Her design was slightly altered in the Kingdom Hearts games, giving her a slightly shorter skirt (only reaching her ankles instead of coming down to her feet).
The Little Mermaid: Magic in Two Kingdoms (Game Boy Advance)
Vanessa appears in this game as a boss character for level 6. In this level the player controls the sea creatures attacking Vanessa, and must help them in breaking the necklace she wears by gradually chipping away at the pieces. All while the sun begins to set in the horizon.
Interestingly enough, unlike in the movie, Vanessa in this game shall periodically use her magic to repair the necklace, by engulfing herself in a purple shield.
In this game, Vanessa plays the same role as she does in the movie. The player first sees her in the "Kiss the Girl" scene, when Ursula (still in her narrator's bubble) transforms into Vanessa and hypnotizes Eric with her song, thus eliminating the beach scene from the game.
After the "Kiss the Girl" sequence, the player will be taken straight to the wedding. There Vanessa can be seen singing her song, as in the movie, before she moves to the upper deck.
Very little about her role, or even her lines differ from the movie. However, she is given two new lines especially for this game. If one were to click on her while she has Ariel's voice, she will say, "Let's get this wedding over with!" And if the player were to click on Max, he will growl at her for a moment before she calls him a, "Mangy mutt!"
Reflections of Arsulu
Although Vanessa herself doesn't appear in the short story, she is subtly referenced with Ursula's disguise of Arsulu, another alter ego she adopted to infiltrate Atlantica. She is a blonde mermaid with a red tail, and a magenta seashell bra.
She arranges an accidental meeting with Adella and flatters the latter into believing the story that she is searching for her lost boyfriend. Adella even offers Ursula a place to stay: at the palace, right where Ursula wanted. Then she begins to fill the heads of the royal family with poisonous talk, similar to what the Evil Manta did and began turning them against one another while still retaining popularity amongst all but Ariel.
Ariel was the only one who suspected Arsulu's intentions and eventually discovered her true identity. Ariel then exploits this to have a group of fish expose Arsulu for who she really was.
- The name of Ursula's human disguise, "Vanessa", is derived from the Latin word "Vanitas", meaning "Vanity", "Worthlessness", "Emptiness" and "Nothingness". Interestingly enough, a character named Vanitas appears as one of the main villains of Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, but unrelated to Ursula.
- In an original draft for The Little Mermaid, Vanessa's role in the plot was quite different than in the final version. Originally, Eric proposed to Vanessa willingly after he discovered that she had the voice he was looking for, although he later had second thoughts at the actual wedding, when Vanessa intimidated him into saying "I do." Also, Vanessa was originally supposed to wear a scarf in order to ensure that her identity as Ursula was safe (as it hid her nautilus) when meeting people up close (such as Ariel). The attack on her was actually much different in the original version, as Scuttle and the various aquatic fauna did not start attacking her and the ship until just before the priest could pronounce them Husband and Wife. However, during this version of the attack, Eric defends her from the animals. So, for Eric to see Vanessa for who she really was, he had to be exposed to her reflection in the water the animals left. Perhaps the biggest difference is that Vanessa still kept Ariel's voice, though for some reason, she was unable to use it anymore.
- At one point while Vanessa was being harassed by Scuttle, she yells angrily "Oh why you little!" and strangles Scuttle in a very similar manner to Homer and Bart in The Simpsons. (Coincidentally, both The Little Mermaid and the first Simpsons full length episode were released in 1989.)
- Her name is never revealed in the film before the wedding, often in storybooks she is known as The Maiden.
- In concept arts of Vanessa which is shown on DVDs of The Little Mermaid, her name was written with an 'E', but apparently there was confusion amongst the movie staff, causing her name to appear with an 'A' on her production cel, and everything afterwards.
- Vanessa is one of four characters to possess violet or purple eyes, the other three being Aurora, Megara and Doctor Facilier. On a related note, Vanessa was also the first villain to possess purple eyes, eventually being joined by Facilier.
- In the official comic adaptation, Vanessa was shown multiple times singing in Ariel's voice without the necklace hanging around her neck, implying that so long as the necklace is safe, she will be able to speak with Ariel's voice.
- Vanessa speaks only twice during her brief appearance with Ariel's voice excluding her song. When she has Ariel's voice she first screams, "Get away from me you slimy little-" and later "Oh Why You Little". Following the loss of her necklace Pat Carrol, the voice of Ursula does Vanessa's lines, where she says "Eric get away from her", "Eric No!" and "You're too late!"
- The song Vanessa sings in her room may have been the inspiration for the song "This Day Aria" from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, were the villain also sings into a mirror while she is in disguise just before her marriage to a hypnotized man.
- Had Melissa Fahn gotten the role of Ariel instead of Jodi Benson, she would have also provided the voice of Vanessa. In real life, Melissa strongly resembles Vanessa. Coincidentally, Melissa Fahn later ended up supplying the English voice of Kanako Urashima, a character from the Anime series Love Hina who ended up having a similar attempt at ruining a romantic relationship between two of the main characters to Vanessa's attempt at ruining Ariel's. She also is famous for voicing Gaz (short for Gazlene), an antisocial girl who doesn't have very good relationships with many people at all, romantic or otherwise, on Nickelodeon's Invader ZIM.
- One interesting bit of trivia to note, is during the wedding, when the priest is about to declare Vanessa and Eric man and wife, the blue birds that first attacked Vanessa can be seen being flung backwards, as if they were just struck by something, yet Vanessa had not been seen doing any such. However, one of the storyboards of Vanessa shows her angrily shaking her fists at the bluebirds. This implies that a scene with her fighting back was originally animated, but was left out of the final film for unknown reasons.
- Vanessa was the second human villainess to be assaulted by animals before her apparent triumph, the first being Madame Medusa from The Rescuers who shares many qualities with Ursula, Vanessa's true form.
- In 2013, the Little Mermaid Deluxe Doll Set was released, with dolls of Ariel, King Triton, Eric, Ursula and Vanessa. This marks the first time Vanessa had ever been released as a doll in Disney media.
- Despite Vanessa's relatively minor role in the film, she has gained a dedicated following. Being one of the few villain alter egos (aside from Grimhilde) to get merchandise based on her.
- Although Vanessa does not appear in the broadway version, the test run did feature a spell from Ursula that was implied to be the spell for the transformation into Vanessa.
- Because of Jennifer Lee's explanation that the King and Queen of Arendelle were lost at sea while trying to get to a wedding, it is theorized that Ursula/Vanessa may have been responsible for their deaths due to the storm she had summoned.