Vanessa's Song is the song that Ursula sings in Disney's The Little Mermaid when she is disguised as the beautiful maiden Vanessa. In it, she sings about how she is going to control the ocean and capture Ariel. It is the final song in the film that is not a reprise, though it does follow the melody of Poor Unfortunate Souls.
What a lovely little bride I'll make,
My dear, I'll look divine!
Things are working out according to my ultamite design!
Soon I'll have that little mermaid,
and the ocean will be mine!
Comic Adaptation Lyrics
In the Official comic book, Vanessa sing's her song, but with a new set of lyrics for the moment. Instead of dancing around her room in this version, Vanessa is sitting on a chair and brushing her hair while using a hand mirror instead of the large one in the film.
My scheme is working out.
Soon I will rule the sea.
That mermaid and the ocean's realm,
will soon belong to me!
- This song remains the one song in Little Mermaid to remain unreleased in any audio release of the film. This may be due to the song's short length.
- During this song, an error can be seen when Vanessa stomps on a bottle on the vanity. In one shot, the bottle is seen as being blue, but in a close up, we see another bottle that is purple, which she steps on. After the shot pans out, both the blue bottle and purple one are gone.
- In the comic book adaptation of the film Vanessa sings this song when the shell necklace isn't on her person, implying that she can still use Ariel's voice so long as the necklace is intact.
- This was Jodi Benson's first role as a villainous character in film, she wouldn't go on to voice a villain-like character until the video game Grandia 2, when she plays the role of Millenia.
- In the Catonese dub of the film, the dubbers didn't translate the song at all; instead replacing the lyrics with a sample of Jodi Benson's vocalization.