Hi guys, I had this idea to make a blog post about which Disney movies should have live action film versions of themselves made. Disney have produced a few films over the years that are inspired and/or based on some of it's classic animated movies (or the work on which the animated movies themselves were based on), like Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, 101 Dalmations (and the sequel), Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book, and the upcoming film Maleficent. Are there any others you think should be made into a live action film? Or at least, which do you think would make a good live action film? I've made a poll to find your guys opinions. Since obviously I can't list every Disney animated movie ever, I've made a set of rules, and ruled out a few films. Here are my rules:
- The film must be in the Disney animated film canon
- The film can't have many or any popular Non-Disney adaptions based off the original work. For example, what recent films like Mirror Mirror is to Disney's Snow White, Beastly is to Disney's Beauty and The Beast, all the millions of films based on the Cinderella story is to Disney's Cinderella, and so on. Other films I have not included Pinocchio (too many films based on the story), The Little Mermaid (same as last), Peter Pan (Disney's adaptation is far from the first and far from the last), Robin Hood (where have you NOT seen the story of Robin Hood?), The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Tarzan (huge film series in the 30's and 40's based on that book), The Sword in Stone, Winnie the Pooh, and a few others. Exceptions like Tangled (which is based on the story of Rapunzel, which we have seen before in many places) is because the film has an almost completely different story than the original fairy tale or book.
- Can't already have a live-action Disney produced version like the ones listed above.
Here's the poll:
- The Aristocats- The live action movie could have humans instead of animals. An aristocratic type woman with 3 children could be lost or in danger, and could be helped by a street-smart man whom alter she falls for and marries. Along the way they could have someone who fills the role of Edgar, trying to steal their inheritences from the woman's mother or grandmother, whom he worked for as butler. I'm sure movies with similar pliots have been made before, but I woud love to see how that plays out on screen in live action. Even if it is cliche, it'd be cool just to see it anyway, like on TV, even in a Youtube video if someone had the patience and cast to make a video based on it and post it on Youtube. Kind of like the After Today video.
- Mulan- There's probably movies in China based on the tale this film is based on. Still, it'd be kind of cool to have one for an American audience, based on this adaption. If I were the director, I'd love to have the film follow the movie to the letter, to help skeptics appreciate how great the animated movie is. Of course, I'd make the live action version more realistic, eliminating the roles of Mushu and Crickee, but possibly having characters similar to those in there. I'd have an all Chinese cast, and make it as historically accurate as possible. Like the historical dramas you see in films and on TV. And if it can't be made into a film... why not a musical like the Lion King or The Little Mermaid?
- Lady and the Tramp- I'm pretty sure everyone can see this movie as a live action film. The good girl falling for the bad boy? That has been done before so many times in cinema, and this is just the animated version with dogs. The plot here is similar to my Aristocats idea. Anyone can figure this one out... just change the animals to humans, the pound to a jail, certain actions into real life things humans would do, and the whole rat and baby conflict into something different. And there you got your live action version of Lady and the Tramp. Another cliche plot in the human world, but still, it'd be cool to see it.
- Random ones: I don't know, but I think an Lilo & Stitch adaption would be too much like ET. But I included it anyway. Hercules has also been done before on screen, but a film directly based on the Disney film with it's story changes would be cool. Same goes for Tangled. I think Pocahontas would be cool to see.
Well, that's the end of my blog post. Besides the ones not posted because of the rules, I didn't include some films purposely because A: That would be a loooong list, and B: That's where you guys come in. For the ones you vote for, tell me your ideas for the live action version of the film. For the ones you didn't see and love, also tell me. Any other comments and opinions I will gladly accept. I can't wait to see your guys comments!