Solo (known on all promotional material as Solo: A Star Wars Story) is a science-fiction film and the second instalment in the Star Wars anthology series that are not directly tied into the main saga. It focuses on the early life of Han Solo. It is directed by Ron Howard and was released on May 25, 2018.
Board the Millennium Falcon and journey to a galaxy far, far away in Solo, an all-new adventure with the most beloved scoundrel in the galaxy. Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian, in a journey that will set the course of one of the Star Wars saga’s most unlikely heroes.
- Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo
- Woody Harrelson as Tobias Beckett
- Emilia Clarke as Qi'ra
- Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian
- Thandie Newton as Val
- Phoebe Waller-Bridge as L3-37
- Joonas Suotamo as Chewbacca
- Paul Bettany as Dryden Vos
- Jon Favreau as Rio Durant
- Erin Kellyman as Enfys Nest
- Ray Park as Darth Maul (voiced by Sam Witwer)
- Jon Kasdan as Tag
- Toby Hefferman as Bink
- Ian Kenny as Rebolt
- Warwick Davis as Weazel
- Clint Howard as Ralakili
- Linda Hunt as Lady Proxima
On February 5, 2013, Bob Iger, CEO of The Walt Disney Company announced on CNBC that two Star Wars spin-off standalone films are in development, with Lawrence Kasdan attached to write the first film and Simon Kinberg to write the second film. Kasdan actively developed an outline for the film in early 2013, but the project was put on-hold after the departure of Star Wars: The Force Awakens screenwriter Michael Arndt from the film in the summer of 2013. Kasdan picked up script duties for the film alongside its director J.J. Abrams, with John Knoll's Rogue One taking the first Star Wars Stories release slot.
In 2014, after The Force Awakens began production, Kasdan turned his attention back to the Han Solo film, this time bringing his son Jon Kasdan on to share writing duties with him.
In July 2016, it was stated the film would be part of a planned trilogy.
On March 6, 2017, Michael Kenneth Williams was cast in a role in the film. However, on August 22, 2017, due to scheduling conflicts, he unable to return to set for reshoots under Howard's direction, and his role was announced to have been cut. Paul Bettany was cast in his place, and the character was rewritten and reworked.
- This is the first Star Wars film to be released in May since Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.
- This is Ron Howard's fourth time working with Lucasfilm, after American Graffiti, More American Graffiti, and Willow.
- This is the second Star Wars film to not be composed by John Williams.
- Though Williams instead wrote the main theme for the film while John Powell composed the film's original score.
- Solo marks Lawrence Kasdan's fourth and final time working on the Star Wars franchise.
- This is one of last two films alongside Chaos Walking to be produced by Allison Shearmur, as she passed away in 2018.
- ↑ John Williams - The Adventures of Han (From "Solo: A Star Wars Story"/Audio Only)
- ↑ "Han Solo Trilogy Reportedly Planned". ComicBook (July 26, 2016).
- ↑ "Michael Kennth Williams joins young Han Solo film".. StarWars.com (March 6, 2017). Retrieved on March 6, 2017.
- ↑ Blyth, Antonia (August 22, 2017). "Michael K. Williams' Rome Cut from 'Star Wars' Han Solo Film Amid Reshoots".. Deadline.com. Retrieved on August 22, 2017.
- ↑ "'Star Wars': Han Solo Film Loses Directors". (June 20, 2017).
- ↑ "Ron Howard Will Direct the Han Solo Movie Following Lord & Miller's Departure". (June 22, 2017).