- “And there is also the issue of your sister stranded on a distant, barren planet.”
- ―Baljeet Tjinder
“Unfair Science Fair Redux (Another Story)” is the second half of the 23rd episode on Disney Channel original animated television series Phineas and Ferb, originally broadcast on Disney XD on February 17, 2009, and Disney Channel on March 20, 2009.
Whilst Phineas and Ferb help Baljeet to build a portal to Mars, Candace thinks no one, not even her friends, wants to talk to her. An accidental trip to Mars lifts her spirits. Meanwhile, Perry helps Dr. Doofenshmirtz shop for supplies for his baking soda volcano.
At the same time that Baljeet tells Phineas and Ferb his problem about his portal to Mars, Candace is sitting in her room with her cell phone. She tries calling Stacy, Jeremy, Jenny, and some of her old friends, but none of them pick up. Candace thinks they are all avoiding her and walks outside.
As she walks feeling lonely and wishing to go to a faraway place, Candace sees Phineas and Ferb’s bikes at Baljeet’s house and wonder what are they doing there. As Candace sees the portal to Mars they built for Baljeet and hear that it can take people to faraway places she walks inside happily of being able to leave Danville. When Candace realizes the actual destination of the portal at that moment, the portal breaks, leaving her stranded on Mars.
Meanwhile, Perry the Platypus arrives at Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated to stop Dr. Doofenshmirtz from his latest evil scheme, only to find Doofenshmirtz telling Perry he is behind schedule and asking Perry if he wants to join him on a shopping trip.
As Candace looks for help she sees a Mars Rover and jumps in front of it, waving her arms to try to get attention from the rover’s operators. However, by this time the man who watches the Mars Rover feed has his back to the monitor while freaking out over having to watch the same barren landscape day after day before loudly quitting and shutting down the rover. Frustrated, Candace stomps on the rover in a rage and a few Martians that hidden were nearby spot her destroying it. They meet her and bring her to their lair, crowning Candace as the Queen of Mars. Candace gets excited and starts singing about her newfound friends, calling a few Martians “good Stacy” and “good Jenny.”
Phineas and Ferb finish fixing the portal and jump in to save Candace. They hear her singing and drive over to where she is. When Phineas and Ferb arrive, the Martians see their cart and begin bouncing on it, thinking it is another Mars Roves. Candace tells Phineas and Ferb about the Martians and how she got crowned their queen. Phineas and Ferb spend some time with the Martians explaining what is a science fair, getting them excited to start their own.
Back in Danville while Doofenshmirtz and Perry are shopping they crash into another shopping cart, which appears being used by Major Monogram and Carl, giving all four having a brief and awkward moment.
Candace eventually gets tired of having her subjects follow her everywhere and she tells the Martians if she cans a break from them. The Martians agree with a break but only if they follow her, Candace explains that even though she doesn’t spend every single minute with them, it doesn’t mean that she doesn’t appreciate what they’re doing for her, a thought she then realizes could've applied to her earlier on Earth.
The Martians get hostile towards Phineas and Ferb, believing they arrived to kidnap their queen. Candace wishes them peace and jumps in the cart with Phineas and Ferb. The Martians become angry and join together to form an enormous Martian that chases Phineas, Ferb, and Candace.
Phineas uses Candace’s cellphone to call Baljeet, asking him to open the portal now. Candace wonders how Phineas can get bars for her cellphone in Mars as Baljeet obeys the orders and Phineas, Ferb, and Candace get out. Candace runs back to her home to show Linda the images the Martians had done for her, evidence that she was in Mars and that she is right about Phineas and Ferb’s daily schemes. Meanwhile, Doof fires his very first Inator for an old test and zaps the face of Candace on Mars just as Candace was about to reveal the face of her crowning achievement on Mars to Linda via her new telescope. Linda expresses that the figure looks like a Rhesus monkey wearing a powdered wig.
Sad and alone again, Candace’s friends show up to meet her and cheer her up. They explain why they couldn’t reach her as Jenny had a dental appointment, Jeremy took Suzy to the movies, and Stacy asks if Candace ever got her text message. Candace admits she thought they were avoiding her only to lead an unknown guy to admit he was actually avoiding Candace. Candace asks if she knows him and he says it works perfectly and leaves behind a confused Candace, Jeremy, Stacy, and Jenny.
- Baliwood (instrumental)
- Watchin' and Waitin' (instrumental)
- Queen of Mars (Voted #9 on Phineas and Ferb Musical Cliptastic Countdown)
24 hours later, Doofenshmirtz ends up in Mars and the Martians are about to crown him king, but instead, they crown the bicarbonate volcano. He is heard yelling, "Oh come on!!" during the logo.
The "Too Young" LineEdit
Candace: Tell them I want to walk alone.
Ferb: Meht tuohtiw ton tub enif yas yeht.
Martian: Arrabata dutch!
Perry's Entrance to LairEdit
Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
(Doofenshmirtz hands the list to Perry)
Doofenshmirtz: Here, you take the list and cross things off as we go along. Should we get something for later? Like one of those big pickles? Or a three bean salad?
(Doofenshmirtz's cart hits another, piloted by Major Monogram with Carl sitting in the child's seat; Major Monogram backs away slowly without saying anything)
Future Baljeet: Hello, Baljeet of the past. Just watch us. That is how we fixed the portal. Gesundheit!
Candace: Stupid rover! (starts kicking at the rover) You're not gonna ignore me too! Take that, you ugly unmanned exploratory vehicle! (destroys the rover) Yeah, that's what I thought!
Candace: (looking down at text) Oh... That's what I thought it said.
- This is another version of the episode "Unfair Science Fair".
- Francis "Major" Monogram, Carl Karl, Perry the Platypus, and Dr. Doofenshmirtz meet in the grocery store without getting into a conflict. Major Monogram even moves in order to let Doofenshmirtz go on.
- This episode reveals that Major Monogram makes Carl sit in the cart whenever he goes shopping.
- Ferb speaks a different dialect of Martian than the rest of the Martians do, but they are able to understand him. Ferb's line in Martian is his line in English played backwards. The Martians' language however, if played backwards, are not English sentences, but appear to be phonetic interpretations of English words backwards. See "Allusions", below for more information.
- Candace, when she calls Jenny, states herself as Candy.
- Someone has been trying to avoid Candace so well that he even refers to himself as "Unknown guy".
- Though Candace loves Jeremy, she didn't take note of not being able to see Jeremy if she went to Mars.
- The flag semaphore signs Candace uses are H-E-Y.
- This episode is placed in the same time of the original because in the beginning Baljeet was about to sing his song when the scene switched to Candace.
- Before the man watching the Rover's progress is shouting about Mars, the beginning of Watchin' and Waitin' from "Don't Even Blink" can be heard.
- This is the second episode where Major Monogram appears, but has no lines. The first time he didn't speak is during "It's About Time!".
- When Doofenshmirtz is shopping with Perry and bumps into Major Monogram and Carl, the elevator version of Gitchee Gitchee Goo can be heard.
- Second time Baljeet appears without Buford, the first being in the proceeding episode.
- Third time someone becomes a queen ("Lawn Gnome Beach Party of Terror","Put That Putter Away!")
- Episode description from a 2009 Disney XD Phineas and Ferb press release:
- Candace feels rejected by her friends, so she steps into Baljeet's science fair project which transports her to Mars, where she is worshiped by the Martians. Now it's up to Phineas and Ferb to bring Candace back down to earth.
- Previous titles for this episode were "Unfair Science Fair, The Return" and "Return to Science Fair".
- In the US, this was the last Season 1 episode ran.
- This is the final episode before a new animation is used, in which characters other than Phineas and Ferb have their noses and mouthes outlined in color instead of black. However, the Fireside Girls still have their noses and mouthes outlined in black in a few later episodes.
- Brian Stepanek voices Mr. McGillicuddy and the Unnamed Mr. Slushy Burger Manager.
- September 11, 2008 (Disney Channel Latin America)
- January 23, 2009 (Disney Channel Germany)
- The boys did have Perry when they came over (he is seen following them out of the backyard in "Unfair Science Fair"), so Perry should not be able to enter his lair (he's at Baljeet's house), and Candace should not have walked by him before he enters his lair. However, it's possible that Perry simply went back to Phineas and Ferb's house. (It's also cartoonishly possible that there is at least one entrance to his lair built by O.W.C.A. that stretch from the home of at least one of Phineas and Ferb's friends should Perry be taken there by the boys, in addition to the multiple entrances in and around the Flynn-Fletcher house and around the cabin of Linda Flynn's mother and father.)
- When the Martians ask Candace to break another rover, it starts out as having treads attached to three wheels in a triangle on each side, but after Candace stomps on it three times. It becomes a vehicle with three wheels in a straight line on each side, like the one she tried to signal and then broke before she met the Martians.
- When Ferb says "They say fine, but not without them", his eyes are far from his hair.
- When Doofenshmirtz fires the ray into space you can see Mars in the background. However the ray went off course and shouldn't have hit Mars.
- Candace's neck becomes short in some scenes when she is on Mars.
- When Phineas and Ferb get to the castle with Martians, they are olive green, but in the next scene, they are the same color as the other Martians.
- When Dr.Doofenshmirtz and Perry crash into Major Monogram and Carl's shopping cart, Dr.Doofenshmirtz's back isn't complete and is likely to have been cut.
- When Candace says "How is it we have bars here?" her mouth moves as if she were saying something else.
- Stacy's first name is misspelled as "Stacey" on her text to Candace.
- Jenny, from "Lawn Gnome Beach Party of Terror" returns, and Candace states they haven't seen each other since then.
- Candace calls Olga and Chicago Joe, her voice coach and personal trainer from The Curse of the Princess Monster ("Lights, Candace, Action!").
- One of the statues the Martians made looks like the Statue of Liberty.
- When the Martians rebuild the Rover, they shout "Yensid" which is Disney spelled backwards. The Martians also say "Erimnevop," which is Povenmire spelled backwards. When Ferb speaks Martian "Meht tuohtiw ton tub enif yas yeht" He is just saying his line "They say fine but not without them" backwards. It is possible Martian language is backwards.
- The destroyed Candace face on Mars' surface looks like the Red Face, a well-known landmark on the planet's surface.
- The owner of Taco Teepee is disparagingly called "Cooks with Grease" by the manager of Mr. Slushy Dawg, a reference to the character "Dances with Wolves" from the movie of the same name.
- The title is a reference to Apocalypse Now Redux, an extended version ofthe Francis Ford Coppola movie Apocalypse Now with extra footage.
- When Candace calls Jenny she refers to herself as Candy. This may be a reference to the character in Dave the Barbarian nicknamed Candy whose real name is Candace.
- This episode is similar to The Lion King 1½ because the concept of the same story told in this episode originated from the above film.
- Vincent Martella as Phineas
- Ashley Tisdale as Candace
- Thomas Sangster as Ferb
- Caroline Rhea as Mom, Additional Voices
- Dan Povenmire as Dr. Doofenshmirtz, Additional Voices
- Jeff "Swampy" Marsh as Major Monogram, Additional Voices
- Dee Bradley Baker as Perry
- Mitchel Musso as Jeremy
- Maulik Pancholy as Baljeet
- Brian Stepanek as Additional Voices
- Kelly Hu as Stacy
- Tom Kenny as the scientist (listed in credits as “Additional Voices.”)
- Additional voices by: Dee Bradley Baker, Kevin Michael Richardson, Kari Wahlgren
- Uncredited: Alyson Stoner as Jenny Brown
- Uncredited: Dee Bradley Baker as Aliens of Mars
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from the The Phineas and Ferb Wiki. The list of authors can be seen in the page revision history (view authors). As with Disney Wiki, the text of The Phineas and Ferb Wiki is available under the CC-by-SA Free Documentation License.|