Ultron is a sentient robot created by Tony Stark (by Hank Pym in the comics) as a peace keeping machine who went evil and became one of the Avengers' greatest enemies. He is the main antagonist in the 2015 film Avengers: Age of Ultron.
Powers and Abilities
- Enhanced Strength: Ultron's strength was far beyond that of a normal human; he was stronger than Captain America, despite the latter having superhuman strength himself, also due to body being made entirely out of Vibranium, Ultron strong enough to overpower Thor Odinson and Vision.
- Enhanced Durability: Ultron's body was highly durable, equal to that of an Iron Man suit of armor. However, after he transferred his consciousness to his new body that was made entirely out of Vibranium; this allowed him to survive a mighty punch from the Hulk and a blow from Vision wielding Mjolnir.
- Enhanced Stamina: As a robot, Ultron did not need to rest or sleep, being able to maintain his activities without stopping for extended periods of time.
- Flight: Ultron had the ability to fly through the air at high speeds, enough to keep up with Iron Man.
- Gravity Manipulation: Ultron possessed miniaturized versions of the anti-gravity technology; through his hands, he could generate gravitational fields, allowing him to move any object through a push/pull motion, pull his enemies towards himself, throw large objects at enemies and even shift the land mass around him by pulling large chunks up from the ground.
- Concussion Beams: Ultron could shoot highly concussive red blasts through his hands and fingertips; these blasts could be adjusted as Ultron had been shown to both stun and kill.
- Body Temperature Manipulation: Ultron could raise the temperature of his hands as means of slicing or causing damage to a desired target; it glowed due to the intense heat.
- Technology Manipulation: Ultron had the ability to mentally control and channel himself through technology.
- Consciousness Transferal: Given that Ultron was an artificial intelligence, he was able to transfer his programming to any computer system on the planet, essentially being anywhere and everywhere.
- Hive Mind System: Ultron could mentally command all of the Ultron Sentries, to do his exact bidding; the sentries act as an extension of Ultron himself.
- Computer Interaction: Ultron could enter and corrupt any computer network and access the Internet at any point in time.
- Genius-Level Intellect: As an artificial intelligence, Ultron could learn unbelievably quickly and could download data directly to his mind.
As Raina had terrifying visions, she predicted that "men made of metal" will change the world forever.
As the world was in constant danger, Tony Stark and Bruce Banner devised a plan, create a peacekeeping program named the Ultron Program. The idea seemed impossible only until Stark studied Loki's scepter, where he found a kind of artificial intelligence. Stark communicated this to Banner, who initially disagreed with that plan, but with a bit of persuasion, he agreed. Banner and Stark left JARVIS to complete the transfer while the two of them went to the party that had organized the Avengers after the successful battle against HYDRA. When AI woke, he asked JARVIS what was the purpose of its existence. JARVIS told him the purpose of his creation, which caused him to investigate the life of its creator. Ultron found that Stark promoted the war and boasted that, he then attacked JARVIS and built a body to confront his creator.
While the Avengers passed pleasantly, Ultron broke into the party and described him as all killers. Ultron wanted to show them the peace in his time and ordered the Iron Legion to attack the Avengers. Thor immediately destroyed Ultron, however he was already preparing a new body in Sokovia. The next day, Ultron summoned the twins Wanda and Pietro Maximoff to help him to destroy the Avengers. After sealing their partnership, the three broke into Strucker's cell and killed him, writing the word "PEACE" with Strucker's own blood, sending a warning to Avengers of what's coming. Sometime later, Ultron and the Maximoff twins traveled to Salvage Yard to buy Vibranium from Ulysses Klaw.
Ultron confronted Klaw and told him he needed his Vibranium for his new body. Klaw handed the Vibranium, but reminded him the cost he had to pay to get it, Ultron responded by transferring large sums of money to Klaw's bank account. Their allegiance ended, when Klaue compared it with Tony Stark, causing his rage. Ultron then proceeded to cut off Klaue's arm and kicked him, only to apologize immediately afterwards. Suddenly, the Avengers arrived to Klaw's ship; Iron Man asked him why he needed the Vibranium, Ultron responded by attacking Iron Man. Eventually, Iron Man defeated Ultron, but his companions had been defeated by Scarlet Witch and Ultron using one of his Sentries as a host body, fled with all Vibranium.
Ultron and the twins went to Seoul, South Korea. Ultron asked Helen Cho build him a new body, but when she refused, he used Loki's scepter on her. Ultron revealed to the Maximoff twins that the scepter contain an Infinity Stone. As the synthetic body was ready, Ultron began uploading himself into his new body. This allowed Scarlet Witch read Ultron's mind and found out that he sought to eliminate the human race. Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver decided lo leave Ultron before releasing Doctor Cho from Ultron's mind control. As Cho delayed Ultron from uploading himself into the synthetic body, Ultron blasted Cho, leaving her badly injured. When Ultron was nearly in uploading himself into the new body, he was interrupted by Captain America, which led to fight between two. During the battle, Ultron was superior to Captain America, but failed to beat him because he was helped by the twins, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. Also, the Avengers snatched his new body, but he was rewarded, his Sentries had captured Black Widow.
As the Maximoff twins had abandoned him, Ultron revealed to Black Widow his plan to raise Sokovia and crashed it into Earth. When the final battle began, Ultron was confronted by Vision, who tried to reason with him. As couldn't reason with him, Vision hacked Ultron's programming and his ability to enter the net and shut him out. Soon after, Thor fought against him, but since he was stronger than the God of Thunder, this one distracted him, so that Vision hit him with Mjolnir. He later sent his sentries in order to fight with the Avengers after Thor challenged him. Ultron confront Vision again, who defended himself by blasted it. Thor and Iron Man joined Vision and attacked Ultron leaving him badly injured.
Unwilling to admit defeat, Ultron began unloading his memory in the remaining Sentries and took a Quinjet and started shooting civilians who were being helped by the Avengers. He spotted Hawkeye and a civilian child and shot them but using his body as a shield Quicksilver saved Barton and the child from an imminent death. Suddenly, Hulk broke into the Quinjet and pulled Ultron back to Sokovia. Ultron was confronted by Scarlet Witch, who ripped off his metal heart to show how she felt at the death of Pietro.
A single sentry had survived the battle (the same that activated Ultron's doomsday machine), however he was ambushed by Vision, who asked him if he was afraid of dying. Ultron instead continued to express his ideas and considered Vision a Stark's slave than a savior. Ultron tried to attack only to be blasted and destroyed forever by Vision.
Marvel Animated Universe
Ultron robots were the guards of the Big House, a shrunken prison. When a massive breakdown happens, the Big House recovers its normal size and the inmates escape destroying some Ultrons.
During Kang's invasion, Pym repurposes the Ultrons as an army, and adds the concept of violence on their brain circuitry. Of the Ultrons present in the final battle, only Ultron-5 remains. Ultron-5 also helps against Malekith the Accursed's Dark Elves.
Ultron-5 decides humanity is flawed and tries to destroy it. He first manipulates other supervillains like the Serpent Society and the Super-Apes to keep the Avengers busy, and then tries to destroy them manipulating their machines. Ultron-5 is defeated, but then returns as Ultron-6 and tries to get the nuclear codes from the Helicarrier. Pym defeats him by making him notice that, as he's a human creation, he's as flawed as humanity, and Ultron shuts himself down.
Ultron returns with his creation, Vision, who gets adamantium to create Ultron's new body. Ultron tries to replace the Avengers with robot duplicates, but Captain America defeats and supplants his own duplicate, and Vision betrays Ultron. Vision unlocks Ultron's head from his body so Thor can hammer it out using Mjolnir.
Ultron appears as the main antagonist of the second half of Season 2. His first appearance is in the episode "Thanos Triumphant", where he managed to infest the body of Arsenal while Tony Stark upgraded the robot to absorb the energies of all five Infinity Stones. After the Avengers defeated Thanos, Ultron reshaped Arsenal's body in his image before leaving once he defeated the Avengers and completely drained the Infinity Stones.
Over the course of his arc, he begins formulating plans to dissipate the Avengers by utilizing what he knew of them to anticipate their movements, particularly that of Iron Man's. He was able to predict that since Ultron was using Arsenal's body, he wouldn't try to purge Ultron from his body by destroying his physical form. He was even briefly able to imitate Arsenal as a way of playing possum. Eventually, Captain America, Hulk, Black Widow, and Falcon left the Avengers to join SHIELD while Iron Man, Hawkeye, and Thor stayed in the disabled Avengers Tower.
Finally achieving his goal, Ultron began his final plan to unleash a horde of nanobots into New York City, infecting its citizens with the Ultron nanovirus and becoming an extension of Ultron himself. Dubbing his Arsenal body with the moniker of "Ultron Prime", Ultron took an unwitting Falcon in Central Park as his first victim to demonstrate the effects of his nanobot plague. The disassembled Avengers agreed to work in unorthodox team-ups, but Captain America and Tony decided that the two of them would attack Ultron Prime, who had set up a base in Avengers Tower and created a throne comprised of various scrapped Iron Man armors.
Once the duo arrived, Ultron Prime used a series of laser silos to attack them as a distraction while he lured the Tri-carrier to his current position with Cap's voice. After briefly turning Ultron's distraction on him, Tony was able to inform Nick Fury of the danger, but Ultron had already begun his attempt to assimilate the Tri-carrier to spread his nanobots across the world. However, once onboard the Helicarrier, Tony deduced that Ultron would only use the portion of the Tri-carrier that would be able to go into space, and deliberately used himself as bait to lure Ultron Prime out of his base to take matters into his own hands.
Ultron Prime fell for the trap, and while they battled in the space-carrier, Tony was able to program the shuttle to fly them straight towards the sun. Ultron continuously thrashed his nemesis around, taunting how disappointed his father Howard would be at his failure to save the city (even though he was ironically using a robot body Howard Stark created). However, thanks to a formula developed by a partially-cured Falcon and processed by Ant-Man, the city was purged of the Ultron nanovirus and all copies of Ultron's program were forced back into Ultron Prime, briefly distracting him and giving Tony the upper hand. Once they reached a certain distance from the sun, the shuttle melted in the sheer heat as Tony put Ultron Prime in a neckhold to ensure he would fly into the burning heat with him.
Suddenly, Ultron restarted as the persona of Arsenal, who said goodbye to Tony and deliberately flew straight into the searing heat of the sun. Ultron Prime rebooted himself, only to scream "NO!" as his body was disintegrated by the massive heat of the sun.
Unfortunately, somehow, someway, Ultron's body was not completely destroyed by the sun's heat, therefore, making Arsenal's sacrifice for nothing. His half melted, offline body drifted through space for an unknown period of time, before it was found by A.I.M. and the Scientist Supreme. Bringing Ultron's husk back to their HQ, Black Widow later found out that Ultron's body survived. After the Avengers battled the Scientist Supreme and his three new liquid metal Super-Adaptoids, and defeating him, preventing him from self-destructing his base, Ultron reactivated. Coming up from the ground, Ultron absorbed the liquid metal off of the Scientist, as well as absorbing his brainwaves, and used it to remodel his damaged body into a new, more powerful, humanoid form (resembling his appearance in Age of Ultron). He would recreate replicas of The Avengers Team and take out each member one by one. He would call his team of Avengers the Ultimates.
Ulton Appears in Ultimate Spider-Man episode "Strange Halloween", as a illusion created by Baron Mordo as one of Ant-Mans greatest foes.
- In the trailer, Ultron recites "I've Got No Strings", a song from Pinocchio, a film about an inanimate being who gains sentience. Ultron serves as a dark parallel of Pinocchio.
- Tom Kane previously voiced Ultron in Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow.
- Ultron was created by Hank Pym in the comics, but in Avengers: Age of Ultron, his creators are Tony Stark and Bruce Banner.
- Ultron's body is said to be made out of Adamantium, the same metal found in Wolverine's bones. In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, his body is made out of Vibranium.