The park, which opened on June 1, 1989, is home to the world's largest outdoor wave pool.Its theme is the "Disney legend" of a typhoon that wreaked havoc upon a formerly pristine tropical paradise. Ships, fishing gear, and surfboards are strewn about where the storm flung them. Its centerpiece is "Miss Tilly," a shrimp boat impaled upon a mountain named "Mount Mayday" that erupts a 50-foot (15 m) geyser of water every half hour, right before the bells of the watch sound on it. Its mascot is Lagoona Gator who is related to Blizzard Beach’s mascot, Ice Gator.
- Typhoon Lagoon Surf Pool - one of the world's largest wave pools including waves that crash down on the shore every 90 seconds
- Castaway Creek - a lazy river that meanders throughout the park
- Ketchakiddee Creek - Slides, raft rides and bubbling jets for little ones
- Keelhaul Falls - The mildest of the three raft rides. Single-rider only
- Mayday Falls - The wildest of the three raft rides. It is also the longest water slide there.
- Gang Plank Falls - A medium-intensity family raft ride located near Mayday Falls and Keelhaul Falls.
- Humunga Kowabunga - Three speed slides that plummet the rider down five stories in complete darkness
- Storm Slides - Three body slides, that careen down three stories of banks and turns
- Shark Reef - Salt water snorkeling experience with sharks
- Bay Slides - Body slides for children
- Crush n' Gusher - Three different aqua coaster water slides that can have up to three guests ride at a time
- Miss Fortune Falls - An upcoming two-minute raft ride for Spring 2017 focused on the Society of Explorers and Adventurers character Mary Oceaneer and her parrot Salty.
- Want to surf the perfect wave at Typhoon Lagoon? Surfing is prohibited during park hours, but you can surf after hours or before the park opens in the morning. WDW books Private Surf Parties for up to 25 wave rides so they can enjoy the 2.75-million-gallon wave pool all by themselves. Waves up to six feet tall will roll every 90 seconds, giving you 100 chances for a great ride in just three hours.