Woody, Buzz, and the rest of the gang are coming back to a theater near you!! The film is described as a "new chapter in the lives of Woody, Buzz Lightyear, and the Toy Story gang." According to the Los Angeles Times, Lasseter has stated the film is a love story, and picks up where Toy Story 3 left off. Further details of the movie plot were exposed during D23 2015 when John Lasseter announced to ABC News that "Toy Story 4 will be a love story between Woody and Bo Peep". John Lasseter provided further details by revealing that Woody and Buzz are on an epic journey to find Bo Peep.
The movie is to take place eight years after Toy Story 3.
In March 2015, Pixar president Jim Morris stated that he does not think the film will be a continuation of the third film, but will instead be a stand-alone sequel. The news is validated by Lasseter confirming that it will be a "brand new chapter in the Toy Story's world".
Lee Unkrich has said in many interviews that Pixar currently does not have any plans to make a Toy Story 4, and that the purpose of Toy Story 3 was to bring the story of the toys and their relationship with Andy to a phenomenal end. He thinks it's great that people want to see another Toy Story film, but Pixar will for now focus on other stories. He has said however that Pixar will try to find various ways to keep the characters alive, as seen in the Toy Story Toons series and Toy Story of Terror! and Toy Story That Time Forgot that there may be a Toy Story 4 in the future, but they don't have any plans for it right now. In July 2010, Tim Allen has signed on to reprise his role for a fourth feature-length film, but this does not necessarily mean that a Toy Story 4 is in development. It can easily be just in case they ever thought of a good idea for a fourth film that they would have the voice of Buzz on board. It does show, however, that Disney and Pixar were toying with the idea of another Toy Story film. Tom Hanks who will supposed to turn 62 when Toy Story 4 releases has also signed on to reprise his role in case they make Toy Story 4. In June 2011, Tom Hanks said in an interview that "I think they're working on it right now." However, John Lasseter says, "We haven't announced anything, so I can't really talk about it." In February 2013, several sites reported that a Toy Story 4 was in production with a release date in 2015. Some sites claimed that Disney and Pixar had confirmed Toy Story 4, but Disney has since denied these rumors saying "Nothing is official". In the most recent Muppet movie, Muppets Most Wanted, Gonzo mentions (during the "We're Doing a Sequel" number) that Disney is waiting for Tom Hanks to be available so they can make a Toy Story 4.
The film was originally to be co-directed by John Lasseter, who directed the first two Toy Story films, and Josh Cooley, but at the 2017 D23 Expo, it was announced that Cooley will be the sole director. The basic story is written by John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton, Pete Docter, and Lee Unkrich, with Rashida Jones and Will McCormack turning out the screenplay. The new film will be produced by Galyn Susman.
The previous cast is anticipated to return for this fourth film. The original date of release for Toy Story 4 was June 15, 2018Lasseter said regarding this film:
- “We love these characters so much; they are like family to us. We don't want to do anything with them unless it lives up to or surpasses what's gone before. Toy Story 3 ended Woody and Buzz’s story with Andy so perfectly that for a long time, we never even talked about doing another Toy Story movie. But when Andrew, Pete, Lee and I came up with this new idea, I just could not stop thinking about it. It was so exciting to me, I knew we had to make this movie—and I wanted to direct it myself.”
- ―John Lasseter
The Los Angeles Times stated that Lasseter and Stanton have worked on writing a treatment during the last two years.
In March 2015, it is revealed that Josh Cooley, the head of story on Pixar's Inside Out, had been named the co-director of Toy Story 4.
In October 2015, the original release date was taken by Cars 3, pushing Toy Story 4 by a year to 2018. The film was planned for release on June 15, 2018 but was pushed back to June 21, 2019, replacing The Incredibles 2.
- Toy Story 4 was originally to be released the year John Lasseter will turn 60. However, it will now be released to mark the 20th anniversary of A Bug's Life, the Pixar movie Lasseter directed after the release of the first Toy Story and before the release of Toy Story 2.
- This officially ends Bo Peep's multiple year absence from the franchise.
- Lotso was seen on stage at the 2015 D23 expo to promote Toy Story 4. Whether or not he will appear in the fourth film currently remains a mystery.
- When Toy Story 4 releases, the original Toy Story will turn 23 years old.
- Toy Story 4 is the first time a Pixar franchise has become a quadrilogy.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Toy Story Four A Go". blog.bcdb.com, November 7, 2014
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Pixar to make 'Toy Story 4': Why Lasseter is returning to direct". www.latimes.com, November 6, 2014
- ↑ "Toy Story 4". www.bcdb.com, November 7, 2014
- ↑ Disney Announces Release Dates for 'Incredibles 2,' 'Cars 3'
- ↑ "Pixar’s Toy Story 4 Gets Pushed Back to 2019, Incredibles 2 Moves Up to 2018". Stitch Kingdom (October 26, 2016).