Toaster is the titular protagonist of the movie The Brave Little Toaster and its sequels. He (or she, if female) is voiced by Deanna Oliver in the English version of all three films, and is the leader of his gang.
The Toaster was a good friend of Rob, the Master, who took pleasure in having him see his reflection in his silver faceplate and making faces as he waited for his toast to cook. After the Master left several years ago, the Toaster was one of the few appliances in the house who never lost faith in the Master's eventual return.
Role in the film
One day, while the Toaster and his four friends, Kirby, Lampy, Radio, and Blanky are cleaning the cottage, they see a man outside their window putting up a "For Sale" sign, meaning that the Master wasn't returning. Fed up and refusing to believe that the Master would actually abandon them deliberately, the Toaster declared that he and his troupe would go out to find him. Despite initial reluctance, they all agree and set out into the wilderness. They come across many dangers along the way, but the Toaster manages to maintain hope, even when all seemed lost. Eventually, they are found by an appliance repair man after nearly drowning in a swamp. The repair man tries to dismantle the group but they escape. Finally, they reach the Master's city and go to his apartment. There, they are derided and thrown out by the Master's new appliances, who all believe themselves to be far more modern than the Toaster's group. They are hauled off to the junkyard to await disposal.
Unknown to the Toaster, the Master actually returned to the cottage, hoping to collect his favorite appliances for use in college. When he didn't find them, he and his girlfriend Chris journeyed to the junkyard to dig up some spare appliances, since the Master didn't love the modern appliances as he did his old ones. While there, he finds most of his appliances, who have been dodging an evil magnet crane determined to destroy them. The Giant Magnet nearly causes the Master to get crushed by the Crusher, but the Toaster sacrifices himself by throwing himself into the gears, saving his Master's life. Upon returning home with all of his appliances, the Master fully repairs Toaster and makes faces in his faceplate like he did as a kid. The Toaster and his friends accompany their friend to college, happy to serve him once again.
- In the Timon & Pumbaa series, during Timon and Pumbaa's music video of "Stand by Me", a toaster that resembles the Toaster is seen.
- There is a cameo of Toaster and friends in the series The Oz Kids, in the episode "Christmas in Oz".
- The Toaster has a gender confusion controversy, as many fans think the Toaster is either male or female. Ironically, while the Toaster is referred to as "he" in the movies, "his" voice actress Deanna Oliver calls the Toaster "she" and "her."
- Toaster is one of very few male characters to be voiced by females, including Stanley from the television series of the same name, Lester from the same show, Huey, Dewy, and Louie (though they are sometimes voiced by actual males), Binky Bevel from Rolie Polie Olie, and Robbie in The Brave Little Toaster Goes to Mars.
- Also, the Toaster is voiced by a man in the German, Latin Spanish, Finnish, Russian, and Serbian dubs, which means that the men who voiced him have the same gender as his.
|The Brave Little Toaster|
Characters: Toaster | Blanky | Lampy | Radio | Kirby | Air Conditioner | T.V. | Cutting-Edge Appliances | Hanging Lamp | Junkshop Appliances | Blender | The Giant Magnet | The Crusher | Junkyard Cars | Computer and Mouse | Modem | Viruses | Rob McGroarty | Chris McGroarty | Robbie McGroarty | Elmo St. Peters | Evil Clown | Zeke | Charlie | Mack McCro | Jim Bob | Quadruped | Ratso | Maisie | Alberto | Murgatroid | Sebastian | Microwave | Fanny | Hearing Aid | Calculator | Wittgenstein | Supreme Commander | Wonder Luxe Appliances | Viking 1 | Tinselina
Songs: Tutti Frutti | City of Light | It's a 'B' Movie | Cutting Edge | Worthless | Bread and Butter | I See a New You | Floating | Humans | Fight, Right | Home Again | I'm Into Something Good | Remember That Day | Super Highway | Chomp and Munch | Hang In There, Kid