FANDOM


  • I heard that Steamboat Willie has the U.S. copyright through 2023. Does this mean that in 2023, does this mean Steamboat WIllie will be gone forever? I hope not.

      Loading editor
    • No, instead, it will enter the public domain.

        Loading editor
    • Miru96 wrote:
      No, instead, it will enter the public domain.

      And what does public domain mean?

        Loading editor
    • TsWade2 wrote:
      Miru96 wrote:
      No, instead, it will enter the public domain.
      And what does public domain mean?

      It means the public will be able to see it from 2023 and onwards

        Loading editor
    • Periwinkle123 wrote:
      TsWade2 wrote:
      Miru96 wrote:
      No, instead, it will enter the public domain.
      And what does public domain mean?
      It means the public will be able to see it from 2023 and onwards

      Ah! I see. Well, that makes sense. Thank you.

        Loading editor
    • More accurately, being in the public domain means that it would be able to be used by anyone (upload parodies without getting in trouble, use it in advertisements, sell fanart based off of it, etc.). Literally, it just loses its copyright.

      However, it becomes a little complicated because Mickey Mouse may still be copyrighted by Disney. So the biggest question is whether or not Mickey Mouse himself will be in public domain. Which nobody is sure of yet.

        Loading editor
    • Reimeille wrote:
      More accurately, being in the public domain means that it would be able to be used by anyone (upload parodies without getting in trouble, use it in advertisements, sell fanart based off of it, etc.). Literally, it just loses its copyright.

      However, it becomes a little complicated because Mickey Mouse may still be copyrighted by Disney. So the biggest question is whether or not Mickey Mouse himself will be in public domain. Which nobody is sure of yet.

      Why are they doing this in the first place? This just confuses me

        Loading editor
    • Periwinkle123 wrote:
      Reimeille wrote:
      More accurately, being in the public domain means that it would be able to be used by anyone (upload parodies without getting in trouble, use it in advertisements, sell fanart based off of it, etc.). Literally, it just loses its copyright.

      However, it becomes a little complicated because Mickey Mouse may still be copyrighted by Disney. So the biggest question is whether or not Mickey Mouse himself will be in public domain. Which nobody is sure of yet.

      Why are they doing this in the first place? This just confuses me

      Copyrights naturally disappear over time under different circumstances, such as a certain amount of years after the owner's death, or certain number of years after the copyright is created.

      Steamboat Willie has been close to the deadline for many years (it was supposed to be way back in 1956), but Disney always succeeded in extending the time repeatedly. The last extension moved it to 2023. They could try to get the deadline extended again, but no one knows if they'll succeed again.

      Some law researchers and Disney studiers believe that it may already be in the public domain based on a technicality from Walt's time, but I'm sure no one dares to find out for fear of Disney trying to sue.

        Loading editor
    • Timon:Steamboat Willie, among with all other the Pre-1950 Disney cartoon shorts, goes in the publin domain by the time Disney reaches 100th Aniversarry in 2013.

      Pumba:U.S. public domain said "Disney's pre-1950 cartoons may enter public domain". the public domain distributor will be "Disney-TriStar-Dolby Green-Ray Disc."

      Mickey:I am going to die. My son will control my company without me.

      Mickey Mouse Jr.:Public Domain. Public domain!? that will be a good place.

      public domain: in 2028, Steamboat Willie shall celibrate it's 100th Aniversarry.

        Loading editor
    • Steamboat Willie is one of the first Mickey Mouse cartoons. I'm sure they keep in the vault very safe.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message