The Simple Things was the last theatrical cartoon that Mickey Mouse would star in until Mickey's Christmas Carol in 1983. It was released on April 18, 1953.
When Mickey and Pluto go to the beach for a relaxing fishing trip, they have to deal with a crabby clam and a greedy seagull.
- Disneyland, episode #3.12: "Pluto's Day"
- The New Mickey Mouse Club, October 31, 1977
- Good Morning, Mickey, episode #1
- Walt Disney's Wet and Wild
- Mickey's Mouse Tracks, episode #7
- Donald's Quack Attack, episode #7
- The Ink and Paint Club, episode #1.2: "Mickey Landmarks"
- Have a Laugh!, episode #29
- Treasures from the Disney Vault, July 2, 2015
- Walt Disney Cartoon Classics: Limited Gold Editions: Mickey
- Walt Disney Cartoon Classics - Special Edition: Happy Summer Days
- Walt Disney Cartoon Classics - Special Edition: Happy Summer Days / Fun on the Job! / The Goofy World of Sports
- Walt Disney Treasures: Mickey Mouse in Living Color, Volume 2
- Celebrating Mickey
Have a Laugh! changes
The following scenes were deleted from the short release due to time constraints:
- The opening shot is halved, cutting out the seagulls flying away as Mickey and Pluto pass by.
- Pluto's encounter with a starfish.
- The clam hiding at the sight of Pluto.
- Pluto struggling to get the clam out of his mouth.
- Pluto, in trying to explain he has a clam in his mouth, Mickey interprets that as him wanting to something to eat and giving him a sausage, which the clam eats instead, after which it spits water in Mickey's face.
- Mickey giving Pluto another sausage, only for the seagull to eat it instead.
- The seagull's first attempt at catching one of Mickey's fish used for bait, resulting in it getting hit on a rock.
- The entire scene with Mickey and Pluto's collective struggle with the seagull; it cuts from the seagull hovering over Mickey and Pluto to it diving into the bucket of bait.
- Mickey throwing a rock into the bucket of bait as the seagull flies off with it so that it weighs down the bucket.
- The seagull telling the other seagulls about the "free fresh fish".
- Pluto barking at the seagulls as they come to attack Mickey and Pluto, before Mickey decides they should beat a retreat.
- This was the last Mickey Mouse cartoon to feature Jimmy MacDonald as the voice of Mickey Mouse.
- This would be the last Mickey Mouse cartoon for 30 years, until 1983's Mickey's Christmas Carol was released.