Windwagon Smith blows into town with a strange contraption: a Conestoga wagon outfitted with a wind sail. The town fathers figure that since a small windwagon does so well, a big one must do better. They set out to build one (while Smith woos the mayor's daughter) and launch it on its maiden voyage to very unexpected results.
- Several scenes were deleted from this short before it was re-released: Indians in the crowd running out into the prairie in fright; the mayor's daughter christening the ship with white lightning; the Indian figurehead on the ship that changes color when whacked with the jug and then breaks out into a huge, silly grin; and Asian stereotypes with buck teeth.
- In the 1970s, there was a proposal to create an expansion of Frontierland at Disneyland called "Land of Legends" to connect Bear Country to the proposed Discovery Bay area that included a dark ride based on Windwagon Smith alongside Western River Expedition and a dark ride based on The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. When the Discovery Bay project was scrapped, this expansion went with it.
- Pongo, Horace & Jasper, from "One Hundred And One Dalmatians", make Cameo Appearances, as inhabitants of the town?
- There is a dog that looks like a smaller version of Scooby-Doo.
- Some of the people and animals resemble the characters in the Walt Disney World version of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.
Home video releases
- Walt Disney Treasures: Disney Rarities