Iracebeth of Crims, also know as The Red Queen, is a character of the 2010 film Alice in Wonderland and its sequel Alice Through the Looking Glass. She is the tyrannical queen of Underland and possesses a bloodthirsty personality, commonly sentencing people and animals to beheading for the most ordinary of the situations. She maintains a difficult relationship with her younger sister, Mirana the White Queen.
Screenwriter Linda Woolverton created Iracebeth by fusing two different characters from Lewis Carroll's stories, the Queen of Hearts from the original Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and the Red Queen from its sequel Through the Looking-Glass. When asked about the decision of fusing the characters to create just one, Woolverton explained:
Cos we need one villain. I learnt that from Howard Ashman, the late, great, who I wrote Beauty and the Beast with. He wrote the lyrics. He taught me a lot. And he said why have two average characters when you can have one great character? Put these two together and make one great character, and she does an amazing job.
Ever since Alice Kingsleigh left Underland, the Red Queen had overthrown her sister, the White Queen & took control of Underland. Her right hand man is the Knave of Hearts. She has an army of Armoured Cards, Frog Servants, Monkey Servants and a very bad temper. The Red Queen was so paranoid, she even had her husband executed, believing he would leave her for the White Queen. She was often referred to as Bloody Big Head, possible because all her power, which she stole, literally went into her head.
Her rule was harsh for all of Underland. Those that apposed her rule were hunted down and executed. Even her most loyal advisers feared her so greatly that they would deform themselves with fake noses and ears just so she would not punish them for being more attractive than she. However, she does show affection for Knave of Hearts (this romance, however, is one-sided).
Helena Bonham Carter's portrayal of the Red Queen was nominated for Best Villain at the 2010 MTV Movie Awards, which is chosen by fans.
- Main article: Anastasia Tremaine#Once Upon a Time in Wonderland
In this show, the Red Queen is named Anastasia. Like in all adaptations this version of the Red Queen is the villain and is cruel towards her people & she also is confused of being the Queen of Hearts like most adaptations by fans of the show. (In this show however the Queen of Hearts is a separate character named Cora and she is the Evil Queen's mother) Unlike the other versions of herself she is later redeemed from a villain into the good White Queen who is the good persona of the ex-Red Queen.
Donald In Mathmagic Land
While not named, the Red Queen appeared as a chess piece in Donald in Mathmagic Land. Here, she wonders whatever Donald Duck is an Alice, or a lost pawn. After her husband confirms it's a lost pawn, she orders the red chess pieces to stop Donald. Luckily, he got away before the Queen did something bad.
It was seen during the demonstration on the chess game, she was kicked by the White King.
- "Oh, Racie. We don't have to fight."
- —Mirana trying to discourage Iracebeth from fight by calling her by her childhood nick-name.
Growing up with her younger sister Mirana, later know as the White Queen, Iracebeth seemed to do not show her future evil personality to her family. It is possible that she wasn't evil while a child (Mirana once said that Iracebeth "wasn’t always that way"), but she left small clues of her greedy to rule over all of Underland still while growing up. For example, while her sister chose to study how to produce medicinal cures and potions, Iracebeth preferred to study Dominion Over Living Things.
- Despite being called the Red Queen in the movie she more accurately represents the Queen of Hearts who is another queen in Wonderland. From the heart based clothes to her personality she has all of the aspects of the Queen of Hearts. This is not uncommon in the Wonderland universe as many adaptations of the books often combine the two queens to save time or just completely confuse the two queens due to their similarities.
- Some similarities they share are their color schemes which are both red, however the Queen of Hearts has white along with her red.Their personalities are also similar as they are both describe as being mean, however the Queen of Hearts appears to have been more cruel as she often hold executions and enjoys them.
- Once Upon a Time in Wonderland is one of the rare times all three queens were shown accurately despite the White Queen being the same person as the former Red Queen.