- Donald Glover as Simba
- J.D. McCrary as Young Simba
- Beyoncé Knowles as Nala
- Shahadi Wright Joseph as Young Nala
- James Earl Jones as Mufasa
- Chiwetel Ejiofor as Scar
- Billy Eichner as Timon
- Seth Rogen as Pumbaa
- John Kani as Rafiki
- John Oliver as Zazu
- Alfre Woodard as Sarabi
- Eric Andre as Azizi
- Florence Kasumba as Shenzi
- Keegan-Michael Key as Kamari
On September 28, 2016 The Walt Disney Studios and director Jon Favreau are putting a new reimagining of The Lion King on the fast track to production. The project follows the technologically groundbreaking smash hit The Jungle Book, directed by Favreau, which debuted in April and has earned $965.8 million worldwide.
The Lion King builds on Disney's success of reimagining its classics for a contemporary audience with films like Maleficent, Cinderella, The Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast. The Lion King (1994) is one of the biggest animated films of all time with a lifetime global box office gross of $968.8 million, including $422.8 million domestically. It won Academy Awards for the original song "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" (Elton John, Tim Rice) and original score (Hans Zimmer), plus two Grammy Awards, with the soundtrack selling over 14 million copies. In 1997, the stage production The Lion King made its Broadway debut, winning six Tony Awards; 19 years later, it remains one of Broadway's biggest hits alongside several other productions running around the world, including London, Hamburg, Tokyo, Madrid, Mexico City, Shanghai, and North America. Translated into eight different languages, its 23 global productions have been seen by more than 85 million people across every continent except Antarctica. The Lion King's worldwide gross exceeds that of any film, Broadway show or other entertainment title in box office history.
- This is the third live-action adaptation of a Walt Disney Animation Studios movie that is from the Disney Renaissance, after 2017's Beauty and the Beast and 2019's Aladdin.
- This will be Jon Favreau's second live action Disney movie based on a Disney animated movie after directing The Jungle Book.
- James Earl Jones was the voice of Mufasa in the original animated film. He is the first actor to reprise his role for a Disney live-action remake.
- Banzai and Ed are the only characters from the original animated film to be renamed.
- This will be the third Disney live-action remake of a Disney classic to be scored by the same composer as the original animated film after 2017's Beauty and the Beast and 2019's upcoming Aladdin (both of which are composed and scored by Alan Menken).
- This will be the second time that Ernie Sabella does not reprise the role of Pumbaa. The first was Disney's Extreme Skate Adventure.
- Actors Donald Glover, who voices Simba, and James Earl Jones, who voices Mufasa, both had roles in the Star Wars Saga: Glover is set to portray the young Lando Calrissian in the upcoming Solo while Jones voices Darth Vader in the Star Wars films (except the sequel trilogy) that featured him.
- Chiwetel Ejiofor who voices Scar and Alfre Woodard who voices Sarabi previously collaborated in the Academy Award winning film, 12 Years a Slave.
- This is the second movie collaboration between Donald Glover and Chiwetel Ejiofor after The Martian.
- Jon Favreau, Donald Glover, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Alfre Woodard, John Kani, and Florence Kasumba all have roles in the Marvel Cinematic Universe: Favreau directed two Iron Man films and plays Harold Hogan, Glover plays Aaron Davis, Ejiofor plays Baron Mordo, Woodard portrays Miriam Sharpe in a cameo role, while Kani and Kasumba reprise their roles as T'Chaka and Ayo in the upcoming Black Panther.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Leadbeater, Alex (April 25, 2017). "The Lion King Remake Gets a Summer 2019 Release Date". (Article) Screen Rant.
- ↑ Donald Glover Twitter
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 "Full The Lion King Live Cast Announced". IGN (November 1, 2017).
- ↑ Jon Faverau Twitter
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Kroll, Justin (April 25, 2017). "Seth Rogen and Billy Eichner to Voice Timon and Pumbaa in Live-Action ‘Lion King’". (Article) Variety.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 "The Lion King casts its Sarabi and Rafiki". Entertainment Weekly (August 7, 2017).
- ↑ John Oliver as Zazu
- ↑ "The Lion King: Disney confirms a live action movie is coming". Den of Geek (September 28, 2016).