The Lion Guard is an American animated television series that premiered with a one-hour movie, The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar, on November 22, 2015 which was followed by a television series on Disney Junior on January 15, 2016. It features Kion, the son of Simba and Nala.
On March 4, 2016, Season Two was announced by Disney Junior. According to Kevin Schon, it was expected to premiere in Fall 2017 with an hour-long special. But then, it was announced as July 7th with 2 episodes, Babysitter Bunga and Savannah Summit.
In March 2017, a third season was commissioned.
"Set in the African Savanna, The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar follows Kion as he assembles the members of the Lion Guard," a news release for the show reads. "Throughout the movie and the series, the diverse team of young animals will learn how to utilize each of their unique abilities to solve problems and accomplish tasks to maintain balance within the Circle of Life, while also introducing young viewers to the vast array of animals that populate the prodigious African landscape."
- Max Charles as Kion
- Joshua Rush as Bunga
- Diamond White as Fuli
- Dusan Brown as Beshte
- Atticus Shaffer as Ono
- Rob Lowe as Simba
- Gabrielle Union as Nala
- Eden Riegel as Kiara
- Khary Payton as Rafiki
- Jeff Bennett as Zazu
- Kevin Schon as Timon
- Ernie Sabella as Pumbaa
- Gary Anthony Williams as Mufasa (James Earl Jones in Return of the Roar)
- Greg Ellis as Mzingo
- Madison Pettis as Zuri
- Sarah Hyland as Tiifu
- Andrew Kishino as Janja
- Vargus Mason as Cheezi
- Kevin Schon as Chungu
- Blair Underwood as Makuu
- Maia Mitchell as Jasiri
- Kevin Michael Richardson as Basi
The series' announcement came after a meeting between Disney Junior general manager Nancy Kanter and Disney chief executive Robert Iger. Iger suggested to Kanter that Disney Junior should consider producing content to celebrate the 20th anniversary of The Lion King in 2014. Disney has shown early footage to young test audiences, who were able to make suggestions, such as adjusting the look of the hyenas. Disney Consumer Products is to launch a line of toys to tie into the television series.
At least five book titles based on the series were released in January 2016: Kion, Pride of the Pridelands, Can't Wait To Be Queen, Bunga's Big Adventure, Meet the New Guard and Kion's Animal Alphabet.
In January 2016, a spin-off series called It's UnBungalievable! was released and features Bunga and Ono.
- This is the second The Lion King television incarnation, as the first was the Timon & Pumbaa TV series.
- As revealed by Ford Riley in an interview for TV Daily, The Lion Guard takes place in between Kiara's first encounter with Kovu and her first hunt in The Lion King II: Simba's Pride. This statement was confirmed in the episode "Lions of the Outlands".
- Official website
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Frtiz, Ben. "Disney Junior Plans Preschool Series Based on ‘The Lion King’ (Exclusive)".. The Wall Street Journal. Accessed 10 June 2014.
- ↑ Disney Junior Renews ‘Lion Guard,’ Orders ‘Vampirina,’ ‘Puppy Dog Tails’
- ↑ "Kevin Schon Post". Twitter (March 15, 2017).
- ↑ https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://deadline.com/2017/03/disney-junior-renews-mickey-and-the-roadster-racers-the-lion-guard-1202043582/&ved=0ahUKEwiK8cWq9NnSAhXLAcAKHeJ9ACgQqQIIGigBMAA&usg=AFQjCNFkK42_NKmHhGN5g6KO9keyUz6XeA&sig2=upf3_Wjtm4S23U1vechWVQ
- ↑ 
- ↑ http://tvdaily.com/exclusive-interview-disneys-the-lion-guard-creator-ford-riley-talks-new-lion-king-sequel/