Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Grand Inquisitor (simply known as The Inquisitor) is the main antagonist of the first season of Star Wars Rebels. He was the leader of the Imperial Inquisitors, a group of Force-Sensitive agents tasked by Darth Vader to hunt down the remaining Jedi Knights.
The Grand Inquisitor is described as cold and analytical. His intensity is based on the assignment he is on and he tends to stay calm even in battle.
Driven in his task of hunting and eliminating the Jedi, he appears to have studied the Jedi Temple records to an advanced and thorough degree, as he correctly deduced Kanan to have trained under Jedi Master Depa Billaba after only a few traded blows in their first lightsaber duel; identifying him from the lightsaber form he used and the way he used it. It is later revealed that the Grand Inquisitor was once a Jedi himself; one of the temple guards, and as such, upon turning to the Dark Side of the Force and serving the Empire, he was able to complete his task of hunting the surviving Jedi all the more easily thanks to his former experiences as one of their ranks. It remains unknown whether the Grand Inquisitor chose to join the Empire for power's sake, out of fear, or for other reasons.
The Grand Inquisitor appears to have some interest in Ezra, as a few times during their first encounter, he tried to sway Ezra into following the Dark Side and shake the boy's faith in his master, Kanan. When they met again, the Inquisitor made it clear he desired Ezra as an apprentice. However, in their final encounter, after Ezra had repeatedly refused the Grand Inquisitor's attempts to turn him to the Dark Side, the latter struck him down apparently without a second thought.
Being tasked with hunting down and routinely killing innocent Force-sensitive beings, the Grand Inquisitor very rarely showed any mercy and didn't hesitate to kill unarmed children if his assignment called for it. With his own fellow Imperial officers, however, he took a stance unlike his master Darth Vader's; never punishing lower-ranking officers for their shortcomings and appeared to accept the burden of responsibility for his own failures. However, when ordered by Grand Moff Tarkin to execute Commandant Aresko and Taskmaster Grint, he did so, albeit with a small degree of reluctance.
The Grand Inquisitor held a deep respect for his superiors, such as his master, Darth Vader, and Grand Moff Tarkin, although with the former it was founded deeply on fear as the Inquisitor chose to commit suicide rather than face Vader's wrath.
Although the Grand Inquisitor was a devoted agent of the Empire, he was capable of showing respect to those he deemed worthy, as he saluted Kanan in their final duel.
Powers and Abilities
- The Force: The Grand Inquisitor was very powerful and had a very strong connection to the Force. Although he was not as powerful as Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader, at his peak, the Grand Inquisitor was still one of the most powerful Force-users of his time. Given his rank, he was likely the most skilled and powerful of the Inquisitors.
- Telekinesis: The Grand Inquisitor was skilled in the use of Telekinesis and utilized it either as offensive or defense.
- Mind trick: The Grand Inquisitor utilized Mind trick to control the minds of other sentient beings. However, it does not work on individuals who have very strong wills.
- Mind probe: The Grand Inquisitor utilized Mind probe to sift through the thoughts of a sentient being.
- Force sense: The Grand Inquisitor utilized Force sense, to sense another sentient being's emotions, the future, ripples in the Force caused by momentous or traumatic events, impending danger and the presence of the Light side.
- Lightsaber Skills: The Grand Inquisitor was highly skilled in lightsaber combat and a formidable duelist. Although he was not quite as skilled as Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader, the Grand Inquisitor was still one of the greatest lightsaber duelists of his time. His considerable skill and the fact that he was once a Jedi Temple Guard likely made him the most formidable and proficient duelist among the Inquisitors.
- Form I: The Grand Inquisitor had some skill in Shii-Cho.
- Form II: The Grand Inquisitor was highly skilled in Makashi.
- Form III: The Grand Inquisitor was highly skilled in Soresu.
- Form IV: The Grand Inquisitor had some skill in Ataru.
- Form IV: The Grand Inquisitor had some skill in Shien/Djem So.
- Form VI: The Grand Inquisitor was highly skilled in Niman.
- Form VII: The Grand Inquisitor had some skill in Juyo/Vaapad.
- Jar'Kai: The Grand Inquisitor was highly skilled in Jar'Kai.
- High-Level Intellect/Skilled Tactician/Leader: The Grand Inquisitor was highly intelligent. As the highest-ranking Imperial Inquisitor, the Grand Inquisitor was a skilled tactician and a capable leader. He was also very perceptive, as he correctly deduced Kanan to have trained under Jedi Master Depa Billaba after only a few traded blows in their first lightsaber duel; identifying him from the lightsaber form he used and the way he used it.
- Skilled Pilot: The Grand Inquisitor was highly skilled in piloting most types of flying crafts.
Weapons and Equipment
The Grand Inquisitor's valued weapon and possession is his yellow, later red-bladed lightsaber.
- Lightsaber pike: The Grand Inquisitor had built a yellow-bladed lightsaber pike, Sometime after he became a Jedi Temple Guard. It would remain in his possession until it his fall his to the Dark side; it is unknown what became of this weapon.
- Double-bladed spinning lightsaber: The Grand Inquisitor had built a red double-bladed spinning lightsaber. It would remain in his possession until it was destroyed in his final duel against Kanan Jarrus.
Role in the Series
In the extended cut of the television pilot, The Grand Inquisitor appeared during the opening of the film where he was being instructed by Darth Vader with a new task. Even though the Jedi Order has been crushed, the Emperor had foreseen a new threat; the Children of The Force. Darth Vader instructed him to hunt down this new enemy and either enlist them or destroy them.
The Grand Inquisitor first encountered the Jedi and Rebels in their attempt to rescue Jedi Master Luminara Unduli, only for Kanan and Ezra to discover her deceased body encased inside a coffin. Catching them off guard, he told Ezra and Kanan that Master Luminara died along with the Republic but her remains were used to lure the remaining Jedi to their end. As the Inquisitor engaged Kanan in a lightsaber duel, he recognized his fighting skills from his teachings with Jedi Master Depa Billaba and began to mock him. He even gave Ezra a choice to join the Dark Side of the Force as the Jedi were no more and Kanan lacked the ways of the Jedi. Ezra refused the offer and both master and apprentice escaped from their near execution.
When the Rebels attempted to smuggle Tseebo off Lothal, he led a TIE Fighter squadron to stop them from escaping. He piloted the Empire's new TIE Advanced and planted a tracking device on their ship moments before they jumped to hyperspace. The Inquisitor and the Imperials followed the tracking beacon, which was planted on the haul of the Phantom to the abandoned Republic Base and where Kanan and Ezra lured them away from Tseebo, delivering him into safe hands.
He led a squadron of Stormtroopers down to the base and found Kanan and Ezra in connection with the Fyrnocks that inhabited the base. While the Stormtroopers took on the Fyrnocks, the Inquisitor engaged Kanan in a lightsaber duel for the second time. He quickly overpowered him and apprehended his lightsaber. Ezra tried to protect his master by standing in his way but the Inquisitor just forced him away and began to torment him with his fears of losing everyone he cared about and everything he hoped for, at the same time encouraging him to give into the Dark Side. Ezra's growing fear turned into hatred against him that he summoned an even larger Fyrnock to attack him. The Inquisitor managed to fight off the beast, but Ezra and Kanan escaped him once again, which he knew Darth Vader would be furious to learn about.
The Inquisitor, along with Agent Kallus and Maketh Tua, were later visited by Grand Moff Tarkin who had come to take over the hunt for the Rebels on Lothal. While holding a meeting in Kallus' office, Tarkin had the Inquisitor execute Commandant Aresko and Taskmaster Grint for their failures to capture the Rebels, which also served as a grim warning to Agent Kallus, Minister Tua, as well to the Inquisitor himself that failure would have merciless consequences from now on. On the night the Rebels made an attempt to hack into the Imperial communications tower, the Inquisitor was sent in and engaged Kanan in a brief lightsaber duel which ended with Kanan's arrest.
During the Rebels rescue mission, The Inquisitor engaged in a duel between both Kanan and Ezra in the reactor room of an Imperial Star Destroyer. After successfully overpowering and nearly killing Ezra, he invoked the wrath of Kanan, who was able to use Ezra's lightsaber as well as his own to overwhelm The Inquisitor and destroy his lightsaber, which fell into the reactor core below, causing it to burst into flames. Defeated, The Inquisitor committed suicide by falling into the exploding generator, choosing death rather than face the infamous of wrath of Darth Vader for his repeated failures.
The Grand Inquisitor's only appearance in the second season was in "Shroud of Darkness", reveals that he was once a Jedi Knight and a Jedi Temple Guard.
Kanan Jarrus encountered the Jedi Temple Guard after he was called into the room he was in. The Jedi Temple Guard told Kanan that Ezra had the seeds of the Dark side in him and vows to kill him. Kanan refused to allow this and a duel erupted between them. When the Fifth Brother and the Seventh Sister arrived, the Jedi Temple Guard alerted Kanan to their arrival. Eventually, Kanan conceded defeat. Instead of striking Kanan down, the Jedi Temple Guard promoted him to the rank of Jedi Knight. The Grand Inquisitor told him he would delay the enemy while the Jedi escaped. The Grand Inquisitor faced the two Inquisitors, who were surprised to see their former superior.
The Grand Inquisitor briefly appears at the conclusion of Star Wars: Ahsoka, surveying the damage to the moon of Raada, and contemplating the damage done to the Empire's goals by a lone Jedi, including the death of his subordinate, the Sixth Brother, before leaving to hunt her and inform Darth Vader of the survival of the unknown Force-wielder.
- The Inquisitor shares some familiar characteristics to Darth Maul from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, such as his double-bladed lightsaber. However, his is contained inside a wheel.
- Despite his appearance and role, the Inquisitor is not a Sith. He is instead what is known as a Dark Side Adept.
- When Kanan and Ezra battle The Inquisitor for the last time, The fighting sequence is almost similar to the first Star Wars episode,The Phantom Menace. Where Qui Gon Jin and Obi Wan Kenobi fought Darth Maul.
- It was revealed in an interview with Dave Filoni that the Grand Inquisitor was in Star Wars: The Clone Wars; "Shroud of Darkness" clarified that he once served as a Temple Guard for the Jedi Order.
- Dave Filoni revealed in a press conference for Twilight of the Apprentice that the Grand Inquisitor was in the fifth season finale, "The Wrong Jedi" of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, as one of the Jedi Temple Guards that escorted Ahsoka Tano from the Jedi Temple and later brought Barriss Offee to trial before Chancellor Palpatine after Anakin Skywalker proved Ahsoka's innocence. According to Filoni, Barriss Offee's betrayal was also the catalyst for the Grand Inquisitor's fall to the Dark side.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from the Wookieepedia. The list of authors can be seen in the page revision history (view authors).. As with Disney Wiki, the text of Wookieepedia is available under the CC-by-SA Free Documentation License.|