- “Remember how we always thought there wasn't a way to kill a Toon? Well, Doom found a way: turpentine, acetone, benzene. He calls it the Dip!”
- ―Lt. Santino
The Dip (a.k.a. Toon Acid) is a sickly green, ghastly chemical invention seen in Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It was created by Judge Doom and is feared by all Toons, as it can permanently dissolve Toons on contact. It is Doom's preferred method of passing punishment, whether they are deemed innocent or guilty.
According to Lieutenant Santino, it is a mixture of turpentine, acetone and benzene; the former two being paint solvents, and the latter being a natural constituent of crude oil and one of the most basic petrochemicals. While it is relatively harmless to humans (as Eddie Valiant was seen running through an ankle-deep pool of it), any Toon that comes in contact with it will melt slowly and painfully, and is apparently the only surefire way to kill a Toon.
As a well-deserved poetic justice, Judge Doom ends up being melted himself near the end of the film, after revealing himself to be actually a Toon. He also invented a vehicle machine called "The Dipmobile," which would have dissolved all of Toontown into oblivion. Fortunately, it was destroyed by an oncoming Toon bullet train.
- The Dip is the Toon equivalent of the human death penalty.
- "Thinner" from the Epic Mickey series strongly resembles the Dip.
- The three chemicals that create the Dip dissolve ink and paint, hence why it's fatal to Toons.
- The Dip would only be fatal to humans if ingested.
- In an early script, the Dip was going to be called "The Final Solution."
Characters: Roger Rabbit | Jessica Rabbit | Eddie Valiant | Dolores | Judge Doom | Toon Patrol | Smarty | Greasy | Wheezy | Psycho | Stupid | Baby Herman | Benny the Cab | R.K. Maroon | Marvin Acme | Lt. Santino | Bongo the Gorilla | Toon Bullets | Singing Sword | Toons | Lena Hyena | Toon Shoe | Lenny the Cab | C.B. Maroon | Angelo | Baby Herman's Mother | Rick Flint | Captain Cleaver (deleted) | Voltaire (deleted)
Disney Parks: Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin