That's So Raven was an Emmy nominated show, Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards, NAACP Image Awards,and Teen Choice Award Award Winning American television sitcom. The show premiered on Disney Channel on January 17, 2003, and ended on November 10, 2007. It was the show with the most episodes on the channel until 2012, when Wizards of Waverly Place surpassed it with 105.
The plot revolves around teenager Raven Baxter, played by Raven-Symoné and how she gets herself, her friends Eddie and Chelsea as well as her family members, such as her brother Cory, out of various situations, usually by using her psychic powers and skills as a master of disguise, neither of which help. Her show is on ABC Kids. It usually comes on after movies or in the afternoon,on Disney Channel. On weekends her show is on twice on ABC Kids at 10:00 a.m and 11:00. and Canada's hit channel, Famiy.
The original name for the main character was Dawn Baxter, and the show was originally named The Future Is On Me. However, they changed the main character's name to Rose Baxter, and the show was called Absolutely Psychic. Finally, it was changed yet again to Raven Baxter when Raven-Symoné won the lead part, and the show was changed to That's So Raven. Raven-Symoné originally auditioned for the role of the best friend, Chelsea (originally called Emma), who's played by Anneliese van der Pol. Raven-Symoné is credited as Raven throughout the series. The series was the highest rated show in history on Disney Channel, before Hannah Montana. However, it is still the longest running show in Disney channel history.
The show first premiered in September 2002 in the U.K. before premiering in the United States on January 17, 2003. Seasons 1-3 were produced by Brookwell McNamara Entertainment. The fourth and final season was produced by Raven-Symoné. It became the first Disney Channel Series to create a spin-off, Cory in the House, which followed her younger brother, Cory, as his dad becomes the head chef for the President of the United States, causing the two of them to move to Washington D.C.
In the 4th season of That's So Raven and in Cory In The House, Victor states that Tanya (T'Keyah Crystal Keymáh) is in England as a lawyer. In real life, Keymáh left for creative and personal reasons.
The show's title theme song was written by John Coda, who also composed the music cues to signify scene changes and commercial breaks for this series and Even Stevens, was co-produced by Def Jef and Christopher B. Pearman (Raven-Symoné's real-life father) and was performed by Raven-Symoné, Anneliese van der Pol, and Orlando Brown.
Raven performs most of the theme, while Brown performs a rap near the end of the theme and some scattered vocals in the beginning of the theme. Van der Pol sings the shows title in the chorus. A full-length version of this theme was heard in a music video which aired a few months before the shows U.S. premiere and also can be heard on the show's first soundtrack, released in 2004. Like most Disney Channel shows, the sequence was modified each season. During the Title card at the end of each sequence in season four, Raven said "Oh, Snap! Yep, tha's me" to the camera while in the other three seasons the only thing Raven said was "Yep, That's me".
The show is the only Disney Channel Original Series to extend its contract from 65 to 100 episodes. The last episodes produced were "The Way We Were", but then the crossover called "Checkin' Out" was produced as part of That's So Suite Life of Hannah Montana. Although it was chronologically the last episode, it did not air last; instead, "When There's Smoke" aired last.
|Season||Ep #||First Airdate||Last Airdate|
|Season 1||21||January 17, 2003||March 19, 2004|
|Season 2||22||October 3, 2003||September 24, 2004|
|Season 3||35||October 1, 2004||January 16, 2006|
|Season 4||22||February 20, 2006||November 10, 2007|
- Raven-Symoné as Raven Baxter
- Orlando Brown as Eddie Thomas
- Anneliese van der Pol as Chelsea Daniels
- Kyle Massey as Cory Baxter
- T'Keyah Crystal Keymáh as Tanya Baxter (Seasons 1-3)
- Rondell Sheridan as Victor Baxter
- Bobb'e J. Thompson as Stanley
- Rose Abdoo as Senorita Rodriguez
- Lil J as Devon Carter
- Ashley Eckstein as Muffy
- Andrea Edwards as Loca
- Jordyn Coleman as Cindy
- Anne-Marie Johnson as Donna Cabonna
- Judy Shilling as Tiffany
- Haylie Duff as Katina
- Wesley Mann as Mr. Lawler
- Ernie Sabella as Mr. Petrachelli
- Amy Hill as Mrs. DePaulo
- Adrienne Bailon as Alana
- Drew Sidora as Chantel
- Dan Mott as The Juicer
- Joshua Harto as Ben Sturky
- Rhyon Nicole Brown as Madison
- Mary Jo Catlett as Mrs. Applebaum
- Sydney Park as Sydney
- Karly Rothenberg as Mrs. Valentine
- Rachel G. Fox as Buffy
- Brian George as Dr. Sleevemore
- Stuart Pankin as Mr. Grabinsky
- Michael Copon as Ricky
- Ryan Hansen as JJ
- Columbus Short as Tre
- Erica Rivera as Bianca
- Giovonnie Samuels as Cousin Betty Jane
- Kym Whitley as Aunt Vicki
- Steve Hytner as Dr. Stuckerman
- David Henrie as Larry
The That's So Raven franchise has been modeled after fellow Disney Channel hit Lizzie McGuire. Raven has a clothing line, DVD releases, novels, bedroom sets, a perfume, a GirlTalk board game, three video games and two soundtracks, That's So Raven: Songs from and inspired by the hit TV show and That's So Raven Too!.
In February 2005, That's So Raven toys were featured in the McDonald's Happy meal. In April 2005, a doll based on Raven Baxter was released and another was released the following year. Also, five That's So Raven dolls have been released.
In September 2005, the show also spawned a fragrance and an MP3 player. That same month, the clothing line was shipped to Macy's stores. As of 2006, the That's So Raven merchandise has made $400 million. The show released its fourth DVD in July 2006, entitled Raven's Makeover Madness. Sales have reached more than a half billion dollars as of late 2007.
- That's So Raven (soundtrack)
- That's So Raven Too!
- 1. What You See Is What You Get
- 2. Rescue Me
- 3. In Raven We Trust
- 4. Step Up
- 5. Family Affair
- 6. 2 Good 2 Be True
- 7. Tell It Like It Is
- 8.Dueling Divas
- 9. Showtime!
- 10. Phsyched
- 11. Boyfriend Blues
- 12. Be Mine
- 13. The Real Deal
- 14. Over The Top
- 15. Rebel Raaven
- 16. Superstar
- 17. House Party
- 18. Queen Of Hearts
- 19. Raven Rocks
That's So Raven has spawned three video games:
- That's So Raven, Game Boy Advance
- That's So Raven 2, Game Boy Advance
- That's So Raven: Psychic on the Scene, Nintendo DS
Volume 1: Supernaturally Stylish
- If I Only Had a Job
- He's Got the Power
- That's So Not Raven
- Boyz 'N Commotion
- Supernatural (music video)
- That's So Raven (music video)
Volume 2: Disguise the Limit
- Art Breaker
- Country Cousins (part 1)
- Country Cousins (part 2)
- The Grill Next Door
- Master of Disguises (featurette)
- Visual commentary by Raven on selected scenes
Disney Channel Holiday
(Released November 1, 2005)
- Escape Claus
Volume 3: Raven's House Party
- Opportunity Shocks
- Too Much Pressure
- Double Vision
- Four Aces
- Vision Impossible
- That's So Raven (Radio Trivia Game)
- Bloopers and outtakes
Volume 4: Raven's Makeover Madness
- Pin Pals
- Dues and Don'ts
- Adventures in Boss-Sitting
- Hook Up My Space
- When 6021 Met 4267
- So You Think You Know Raven? (trivia game)
- The Cheetah Girls 2 sneak peek.
That's So Suite Life of Hannah Montana
- Checkin' Out
- So You Think You Know Raven (Volume 2, trivia game)
Hannah Montana Volume 4: One In A Million
- Run Raven Run
The Chill Grill
The Chill Grill is a restaurant owned by Victor Baxter who is Raven's father and also a gourmet chef. It was introduced during the second season of That's So Raven. In the episode "If I Only Had a Job", Raven has a vision of her dad opening his own restaurant called "'Baxter's Place'." In the beginning of the second season it finally opened as "The Chill Grill." The introduction of "The Chill Grill" was during the episode "Out Of Control". The restaurant is also a popular hangout for the kids that go to Raven Baxter's school. It was revealed in the episode The Four Aces that the Chill Grill was formerly a swinging 1940's restaurant by day, and nightclub in the evening called The Four Aces. The Chill Grill almost went out of business when, in the episode The Grill Next Door, the restaurant faced stiff competition from a knock-off restaurant called "The Hill Grill", which was owned by Victor's college cooking rival Leonard Stevenson. As of now the Chill Grill is still owned by Victor Baxter, but a manager is running it until Victor and his son (Cory) come back from Washington, D.C..
- The theme song of the show is performed by Raven-Symoné (Raven), Orlando Brown (Eddie), and Anneliese van der Pol (Chelsea). Raven-Symoné sings the verses, Orlando raps, and Anneliese is one of the singers of the chorus.
- Raven's catchphrase "Oh snap!" is said in every one of the show's 100 episodes. In season 4 the catchprase is said in the opening sequence when Raven is hit by the title "That's So Raven" before she says "Yup, that's me."
- Raven, Chelsea and Eddie's school, Bayside High, shares the name and set of the high school in the show "Saved by the Bell". The creator of "That's So Raven", Michael Poryes was a writer of the show "Saved by the Bell".
- In the season 3 episode "Five Finger Discount", while Raven's mom is studying for her law exam, she mentions that she is studying the case Brookwell vs. McNamara. Brookwell McNamara Entertainment was the production company that produced season 1-3 of "That's So Raven".
- In the episode "Five Finger Discount", Kyle Massey stars alongside his real-life brother, Christopher Massey. His brother played the character Jeremy.
- In the season 3 episode "Art Breaker", the art gallery where Chelsea's 'sculpture' is being exhibited is called the Rinsler Gallery. This was named after Dennis Rinsler, a producer of "That's So Raven".
Cory in the House
- Main article: Cory in the House
Cory in the House is the first Disney Channel spin off and premiered on January 12, 2007. It was the one chosen out of the many pitched and proposed spin-offs that were to have aired after the completion of That's So Raven, including one about Raven going off to college and another centering around Donna Cabonna's ventures hiring a new intern at her office.This fact needs citing.
The storyline involves Cory and his father Victor adjusting to life in Washington D.C.; Victor has received a job as the personal chef to the President. The show takes place while Raven is attending fashion college and Cory's mom is still in London. Raven has guest-starred on the show.
The series is similar to its sister show, That's So Raven. Cory has two best friends, one a boy, Newton Livingston III (Jason Dolley), and one a girl, Meena Paroom (Maiara Walsh). Note that in "That's so Raven", the main character also have two best friends, one a boy and one a girl. Cory attends a middle school in Washington DC. Also in the series, the president's daughter, (Madison Pettis) Sophie, constantly pesters Cory, like Cory did to Raven in That's So Raven. Cory also participates in crazy situations in which he learns a moral lesson and will most likely get punished.
On one episode, Raven Symone guest starred as Raven, who came to show designs of new tour guide uniforms to President Martinez. Unfortunately, she has a vision of a clock falling on the President, and tackles him, earning the Secret Service a chance to chase her around the grounds. Cory poses as his sister to display the uniforms, modeled by Newton and Meena. Raven is discovered outside the Oval Office window, and chased, until she actually does save Mr. Martinez from the clock. The Episode ends with the credits sequence for That's So Pooshnick, a show from Meena's country about a psychic girl who can see the past.
- ↑ http://z.about.com/d/boardgames/1/0/f/G/tf06-raven_girl_talk.jpg Z.about.com
- ↑ http://www.kidzworld.com/site/p5105.htm Kidzworld.com
- ↑ http://videogames.yahoo.com/gamemain?cid=1951020519&tab=&page+0&eid=-1 Videogames.yahoo.com
- ↑ http://www.barbiecollector.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=J0872 Barbiedollcollector.co
- ↑ http://blackvoices.aol.com/black_news/black_history_month/articlecanvas/_a/bhm-star-raven-symone/20060221023209990001 Blackvoices.aol.com
- ↑ http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002YLC3I
- ↑ http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009HLBR0
- ↑ http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B8QFY6
- ↑ http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC2FXI
- ↑ http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JMK6O4
- ↑ http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Y9PC78
|It's a Laugh Productions|
|Past Shows: The Suite Life of Zack and Cody (2005–08) | Hannah Montana (2006–11) | Cory in the House (2007–08) | Wizards of Waverly Place (2007–12) | The Suite Life on Deck (2008–11) | Sonny with a Chance (2009–11) | Jonas L.A. (2009–10) | I'm in the Band (2010–11) | So Random! (2011-12) | Pair of Kings (2010-13) | Shake It Up (2010-13) ANT Farm (2011-14) |Good Luck Charlie (2010-14)||Liv & Maddie (since 2013) | Mighty Med (since 2013) | I Didn't Do It (since 2014) | Girl Meets World (since 2014) | K.C. Undercover (in 2015)}|