Leonard Helperman, Spot/Scott Leadready II, Mr. Jolly the Cat, and Pretty Boy the Parrot
|Created by:||Gary Basmeman|
|No. of seasons:||2|
|No. of episodes:||39|
|Original channel:||Toon Disney|
|First aired:||September 2000|
|Last aired:||January 2004|
Leonard Helperman is a nerdy 11 year old boy and his mother, Mary is his teacher, which he is ashamed of. All the kids are mean to him and neglect him. Meanwhile, his dog, Spot, is tired of just staying at home and wants to do things, so he dresses up as a boy named Scott Leadready II and instantly becomes the coolest. When Leonard finds out the truth, he orders Spot to stop doing this silly charade but Spot says he wants to go to school until they graduate and Leonard relucantly agrees as long as no one finds out. The show also featured Leonard's cat and bird having their own adventures.
- Leonard Helperman- The title character and protagonist. When your mom is the teacher and your dog is your arch-nemeses, forget about being normal. Leonard is a great scout and horrible at sports, he is madly in love with his next-door neighbor, Leslie Dunkling but can hardly say anything except "hi" to her. Life is a drag, Scott's gonna beat Leonard in everything. Everyday, all the other kids will beat him up, insult him, or torment him. He is hated, unloved, and mistreated because he's a nerd and his mom is the teacher.
- Spot/Scott Leadready II- Leonard's dog and the deuteragonist. Scott loves school- he loves everything when it comes to popularity, awards, contests, or school. He is able to quote every historic figure. He always comes up with amazing plans which'll get Leonard punished, sent to detention, or beat up. Spot uses his dog qualities to impress everyone and beat Leonard at everything. Their rivalry gets bigger and bigger all the time. He is very loyal to Leonard and will sometimes help him in his time of needs. However, Spot/Scott will try and/or make Leonard look like a fool in front of his peers and sometimes in front of the whole town.
- Mary Helperman- Mary is the teacher you'd love to have in your class. She's all sweet, loving, kind, and hilarious. She's coming up with all these weird ideas including, Pet Parades and Dress up as your favorite author. She has a New York accent. She's a great teacher and mom and makes you care even though you don't wanna. She treats Leonard like a baby and tends to humiliate him and sometimes enjoys it.
- Principal Strickler- Principal Strickler's is strict, bow-tied, and by-the-book. He's a neat freak and a freak in general. He's hated dogs ever since he was a fourth grader after one bit off half of his thumb. He does however, love his (secretly evil) cat Tallulah. He will not rest until he has made Fala D. Roosevelt the best school in EastWestland. He is a strict but fair administrator and runs a tight ship.
- Leslie Dunkling- Leonard's love interest and the tritagonist. Leslie and Leonard have been best friends since they were both babies, until fourth grade when she decided to stop hanging out with him because he's a guy and she is a girl, but they remained good friends. Leslie is the wealthiest girl in school. Leslie is very unafraid, friendly, and outspoken and not afraid of anything daring or challenging, she doesn't know that Leonard loves her secretly. She does however, adore Spot and is hitting on Scott like the rest of the girls. Unlike the other kids, she treats Leonard nicely and once admitted she thinks he's cute.
- Pretty Boy- Pretty Boy is a bossy big-mouthed canary and yells at everyone. He has a Napoleon complex. His arrogance is matched by his love for seedbells and soaps. He yells at everyone for everything. When he's not hollering, he has a lovely singing voice.
- Mr. Jolly- a big blobby romantic cat that smells like tuna fish and is afraid of the outside. He will never in his 9 lives, understand why Spot would wanna leave the comfort of home, go to school, and be rivals with his master, and go "out there" with crazy drivers, animal control cops, and coyotes. He has a crush on Tallulah Strickler but his cowardice and her evilness prevents romance.
- Tyler, Trevor, and Taylor: Three of the coolest kids in school and close friends of Scott Leadready. They enjoy participating in typical slacker activities like skateboarding and talk like skater dudes. Leonard wants to be as cool as them, only problem is that he is a dork, his name doesn't start with T and end with R, and they cant stand him.
- Younghee Mandlebom: Another lovely girl of the class that is from Korea and Leslie's best friend. Like all the other kids, She always beats up Leonard and/or is mean to him, but most of the time, she cares for him, and even loves him secretly.
- Chelsey and Kelsey: Pretty twins of the class and close friends of Leslie and Younghee. They are stuck-up and think they are more important than everyone else, but they always bicker with each other. They're two of the many admirers of Scott Leadready. Sometimes, Leonard tries to get their attention, but the only problem is they like Scott, he is a dweeb, they think he's ugly, and they cant stand him.
- Ian Wazselewski: The class weirdo. Just weird. But he's the smartest kid in school, at least until Scott Leadready came to town. His mom is the school nurse so he thinks he's found a kindred spirit in Leonard. He's a guy with a chronic upper-respiority infection, a guy who has a scab collection in his desk. He also wrote a speech about his head lice in kindergarten. He has a secondary role in the show, but he has a fairly large role in the movie.
- Ruth: another student of the class and Ian's crush. A running gag is that he chases after her and she runs away in disgust.
- Tallulah: Strickler's evil cat, She knows that Scott is really a dog and tries to get people to notice as well.
- Other kids appear in Leonard's class but they're used as backround characters and dont have names.
- Shaun Fleming as Leonard Helperman
- Nathan Lane as Spot Helperman/Scott Leadready II
- Debra Jo Rupp as Mary Helperman
- Wallace Shawn as Crosby Strickler
- Mae Whitman as Leslie Dunkling
- Jerry Stiller as Pretty Boy
- David Odgen Stiers as Mr. Jolly
- Rob Paulsen as Ian Wazselewski
- Pamela Adlon as Tyler, Trevor, and Taylor
- Cree Summer as Chelsey and Kelsey
- Lauren Tom as Younghee Mandlebom
- Tress MacNellie as Tallulah/Ruth
- Patrick Warburton as Officer DoggyTime
- Bernadette Peters as Fifi
- Don Lake as Mr. Naven
- John Mahoney as Tim Tim Tim
- Tim Curry as Spooky
- Ray Wise as Mr. Jolly's Father
- Kelsey Grammer as Dr. Ivan Krank
- Megan Mullally as Adele
- Paul Reubens as Dennis
- Jay Thomas as Barry Anger
- Estelle Harris as Mrs. Boogin
The first episode aired on ABC's "One Saturday Morning" on Saturday, September 9, 2000, and remained on ABC until 2002. In January 2002, the show also began airing in Toon Disney, and they used that channel to air new episodes every Friday. While still airing on ABC, it was eventually removed from ABC on September 7, 2002 due to a new Saturday morning block called "ABC Kids." As of 2006, it vanished from Toon Disney as well and is nowhere to be found. In Australia, it aired on Disney Channel from 2002 to 2005 where it was pushed back to the mornings and late night spots on Disney Channel. The show's spot was then replaced in 2006 by 101 Dalmatians and finally Recess which currently is the only One Saturday Morning cartoon now airing on Disney Australia. Recess airs on Family Channel in Canada.
- Won Emmy: Best Daytime Animated Series 2000 and 2001
- Won Emmy: Daytime Emmy Outstanding Performer in an Animated Program:Nathan Lane 2001
- British Emmy (BAFTA): Best International Children's Programming.
- Baseman also won Outstanding Individual Achievement Emmy for Production Design on this animated series.
In 2004, Walt Disney Pictures produced a full-length animated feature film of the show in theaters as the series finale. It was named "Teacher's Pet: The Movie". Unlike the show, Leonard is the co-star and Spot/Scott is the star. Spot is sick of pretending to be a boy and wants to be the real thing. When summer arrives, Spot finds out that a mad scientist can make his wish come true, and he, Leonard, Mr Jolly, Pretty Boy, and Ian are off on a cross-country trek. Spot becomes a man, but he realizes it's not what he thought after all. So he and Leonard must right this wrong. Find out in Leonard and Spot's greatest adventure ever. Nathan Lane returns as Spot and Shaun Fleming returns as Leonard. While, Debra Jo Rupp, Jerry Stiller, David Ogden Stiers, Wallace Shawn, Mae Whitman, Rob Paulsen, Cree Summer, Lauren Tom, Pamela Adlon, and Tress MacNeille also reprise their roles as Mary, Pretty Boy, Jolly, Principal Strickler, Leslie, Ian, Chelsey, Kelsey, Younghee, Tyler, Trevor, Taylor, and Tallulah.