Taran is the protagonist of The Black Cauldron. He was voiced by Grant Bardsley.
Taran is headstrong and courageous, though occasionally foolhardy, and harbors an intense desire to prove his worth and heroism through noble acts. Indeed, much of the movie centers on Taran's search for his own worth. Taran was a foundling discovered by Dallben, the enchanter and farmer. As Taran grew up, he became restless and longed for adventures beyond the borders of Caer Dallben. His time would eventually come when, just after being granted the position of Assistant Pig Keeper for Hen Wen, Dallben's oracular pig, the animal escapes her enclosure.
Taran follows Hen Wen and soon finds himself caught up in an epic struggle that will determine the fate of the land of Prydain. During his adventures he meets (and eventually falls in love with) the beautiful Princess Eilonwy. With her help, he frees the ancient, magical sword Dyrnwyn from King Rhitta's tomb, an event that will set in motion the war that could bring about the defeat of the Horned King. Taran is assisted in his quest by many friends, including the self-styled Bard Fflewddur Fflam, the shaggy creature Gurgi, and the stalwart dwarf warrior Doli.
A portrait of Taran appeared in the Tokyo Disneyland attraction Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour in the entry room of the walkthrough attraction. It switched to a picture of the Horned King when the Magic Mirror enters the scene and begins to establish that a hero is nothing without their villainous counterpart.
Also during the release of The Black Cauldron, Taran and Eilonwy were walk around characters at the parks.
- Taran is the first human Disney protagonist to have red hair and green eyes. Quasimodo from The Hunchback of Notre Dame is the second.
- Taran would have been more ruthless in earlier versions of the film. In some deleted scenes, he killed a lot of the Horned King's guards with the Magic Sword.
- In early development stages of the film, Taran's age varied between 12, 15, and 20. Finally, the animators settled for Taran's age to be 14.
- Taran (Like the movie itself) is an extremely underappreciated character.
- Much of Taran's personality is similar to Luke Skywalker, in that in the beginning of their adventures, they wanted something more in their life, search for their calling in life and wanted to prove themselves.
Books: Classic Storybook
Characters: Taran | Princess Eilonwy | Fflewddur Fflam | Gurgi | Dallben | Hen Wen | Cat | Dallben's farm animals | Horned King | Creeper | Cauldron Born | Horned King's guards | Gwythaints | King Eidilleg | Doli | Fair Folk | Orddu, Orwen and Orgoch | Prydainpeople | The Hunter (Deleted Character) | Moose
Other Male Protagonists: Mickey Mouse | Donald Duck | Bambi | Robin Hood | Peter Pan | Arthur | Mowgli | Jack Skellington | Simba | Quasimodo | Hercules | Tarzan | Nita | Taran | Phoebus | Milo Thatch | Sora | Prince Edward | Rei | Wreck-It Ralph | Kristoff