- “You will never be a racer, because you're a glitch, and that's all you'll ever be!”
- ―Taffyta Muttonfudge to Vanellope
Taffyta Muttonfudge is a Sugar Rush racer in Disney's 2012 film Wreck-It Ralph. She is a prominent racer from the game Sugar Rush and drives a pink, hard candy kart called Pink Lightning. Her racing theme seems to be strawberry hard candy. She is voiced by Mindy Kaling.
Official Disney Bio
Taffyta Muttonfudge: Serious Competition
The lollipop-lickin' Taffyta Muttonfudge is a top-notch racer in the game Sugar Rush. She is a fierce competitor who keeps her eyes on the prize and isn't afraid to derail anyone who gets in her way. Though King Candy is Sugar Rush's reigning racing champion, Taffyta always manages to give him a run for his money with her wicked driving skills.
Taffyta Muttonfudge is a skilled racer from the game Sugar Rush, where she is known to be second only to King Candy, whom she admires and respects. Due to her accomplishments, her ego and confidence have inflated and made her arrogant and cocky. Taffyta is also quite charismatic and can put on quite a charming front; she is evidently popular and the leader of the group of Sugar Rush racers, with Candlehead and Rancis Fluggerbutter being her closest friends. She tends to be bossy and somewhat crass to her competitors, likely because she doesn't see them as her equals. Taffyta's most frequent target for bullying is Vanellope, whom she believes is a glitch capable of getting this game unplugged. Being unquestionably loyal to King Candy, Taffyta takes it upon herself to stop Vanellope from racing, and even influences the other racers to join her endeavors, bullying Vanellope in a truly cruel and abusive manner.
At the end of the movie, when Vanellope is revealed to be the rightful ruler of Sugar Rush, Taffyta is truly remorseful and immediately apologizes for her actions. She shows that despite her attitude, she is mature enough to admit her mistakes. Taffyta is also very dramatic in her emotions, especially in fear, sadness, or anger; she is prone to wailing and bursting into tears whenever she is upset. In the tie-in book, One Sweet Race, which takes place after the movie, Taffyta still apparently enjoys teasing others, which hints that she is just programmed to be arrogant.
Taffyta is a small girl with Chibi-like proportions: she has a large head in relation to a small body. Taffyta has bronze, tanned skin and bob-cut platinum blonde hair with low front bangs that cover her dark brown eyebrows. She has a small and rosy jellybean-like nose, and her deep periwinkle eyes are large and animesque. She has thick dark upper and lower lashes that are varnished in mascara, and has rosy cheeks and glossy red lips. She is almost always seen sucking on a strawberry lollipop.
Taffyta's ensemble is almost entirely comprised of shades of pink. She wears a frosted strawberry cap (resembling that of Strawberry Shortcake's, whom is possibly the inspiration for her design) or helmet on her head that doubles as a visor when she's racing. Underneath her hot pink racing jacket, she wears a lighter, frosted pink dress and white-and-pink striped leggings with matching sneakers. She tops her outfit off with white racing gloves.
After a grand day of racing, the arcade closes and the racers of Sugar Rush prepare to pay their fee (one gold coin) to race in the daily Random Roster Race. The first racers across the finish line in the race will represent Sugar Rush as the following day's avatars. Being the second most successful racer in the game, Taffyta deposits her coin after King Candy. Suddenly, Vanellope, in disguise, uses a gold medal from a game-jumping video game villain named Wreck-It Ralph to get herself into the race. King Candy orders his security team, Wynnchel and Duncan, to capture her, but Ralph's interference allows Vanellope to escape. When Taffyta notices this, she puts it into her hands to prevent the glitch from racing. The young glitch heads to the junkyard where she puts the finishing touches on her makeshift, peddle bound kart. Taffyta and the other racers arrive at the junkyard and commands Vanellope to drop out, as King Candy told her glitches can't race. Vanellope refuses and Taffyta begins to destroy her kart. The other racers join Taffyta in destroying the kart as well. In an attempt to make her stop, Vanellope pulls Taffyta away from the kart, but this angers her to the point she jabs her and pushes her into a mud puddle. Ralph comes and sees this and, even though Vanellope stole his medal but unable to stand Taffyta bullying her, chases Taffyta and the other racers away.
Taffyta is later seen at the Random Roster Race and is in second place, behind King Candy and ahead of Candlehead and Rancis Fluggerbutter. They see Vanellope with a new kart and try to run her off the track with cherry bombs. As they drive into a cannon, however, Vanellope suddenly glitches in front of them. This spooks the three into spinning out, and they miss the higher part of the course when they are shot out of the cannon, falling into a cupcake frosting below. Rancis is shocked, Candlehead freaks out over her candle being blown out, and Taffyta starts crying. When the Cy-Bugs attack, Taffyta and the other citizens of the game retreat to Game Central Station. After King Candy is revealed as Turbo and is defeated, Vanellope crosses the finish line and Taffyta's memory is restored, turning out that King Candy has messed with Vanellope's programming and she is actually the rightful ruler of Sugar Rush, a princess.
Horrified at what they have been doing, the racers apologize, blaming Taffyta for making them bully Vanellope. Taffyta apologizes as well, but Vanellope says she will have her and the other Sugar Rush racers executed for being mean to her, driving them into panic and causing Taffyta and the others to cry about their impending death. Vanellope reveals she is just joking and accepts her apology. Shortly after, Taffyta and the other racers gather around Vanellope, and Taffyta gives Vanellope a thumbs up as they reconcile and become friends. Taffyta makes a final appearance with the rest of the film's characters at the wedding of Fix-It Felix, Jr. and Sergeant Calhoun.
In the tie-in storybook, One Sweet Race, which takes place after the film, Taffyta is one of the best racers and has won cups for it, and teases Rancis because he never won a race, serving as the antagonist of the storybook. Rancis sells all of his possessions to buy the fastest kart the bakery can make, and Taffyta finds it interesting, but he ends up losing control of it and several racers are hit by it, but Taffyta avoids the kart and wins the race. Rancis and Vanellope then build a kart themselves, and Rancis drives next to Taffyta, who taunts the kart. But the kart proves to be much better than his previous one, and Rancis ends up knocking Taffyta's kart into the mud and wins the race.
- "Stay sweet!" - Taffyta's catchphrase
- "The glitch!"
- "There is NO WAY that I am racing with a glitch."
- (To Vanellope) "Oh Vanellope, it's so YOU. But you have to back out of the race. Yeah."
- "Yeah, well, King Candy says glitches can't race."
- "The rules are there for a reason, Vanellope; to protect us."
- (To Vanellope) "You're just an accident waiting to happen."
- (To Vanellope) "You'll never be a racer, because you're a glitch, and that's all you'll ever be!"
- "Light 'em up, Candlehead!"
- (To Vanellope in the race) "I told you, you're just an accident waiting to happen!"
- (When she falls into red velvets causing an accident) "WAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!"
- (About Vanellope) "Oh! NOW I remember. She's our princess!"
- "We are so sorry about the way we treated you."
- "We don't want to die!"
- (When Vanellope tells Taffyta to stop crying after she made her think she would be executed because of her bullying towards her) "I'm trying but it won't stop!"
- Though her role in the film is relatively small, Taffyta is one of the most heavily marketed characters from the film.
- During the time of the film's release, Taffyta's voice actress, Mindy Kaling, used a promotional image of Taffyta as her Twitter icon.
- Taffyta, alongside the other Sugar Rush Racers, could be considered the second (bunch of) characters that redeems after a restorage, after Foxy Loxy from Chicken Little, as well the last one was bad since the beginning of the story while the first ones were bad because a previous restorage, in this case, made by King Candy. However, Foxy was mean up until "getting her brainwaves scrambled during reconstitution"
- Taffyta wears dark brown or black mascara, and it can be seen running down her face as she sobs during Vanellope's execution joke.
- Taffyta has dark brown eyebrows, which may suggest that her platinum blonde hair is dyed, or that her eyebrows are stenciled in.
- Taffyta is the only Sugar Rush racer who wears dress beneath her racing jacket; all the other female racers wear a top and a miniskirt.
- She's also the only racer that has gloves.
- During the movie, she shows some similarity with Gene, because he is faced with Ralph, telling that he will never be a hero because he is only the villain who always will destroy the building, while she tells Vanellope will never be a racer, because she is only a glitch that will always exist.
- "Taffyta" is actually a portmenteau of "Tabitha" and "Taffy".
- Taffyta's go-kart is called the Pink Lightning.
Characters: Wreck-It Ralph | Vanellope von Schweetz | Fix-It Felix, Jr. | Sergeant Calhoun | King Candy | Sour Bill | Taffyta Muttonfudge | Wynchel and Duncan | Gene | Nicelanders | Cy-Bugs | General Hologram | Mr. Litwak | Moppet Girl | Candlehead | Rancis Fluggerbutter | Jubileena Bing-Bing | Sugar Rush Racers | Sugar Rush Citizens | Surge Protector | Hero's Duty Troops | Cameo Characters