Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This weapon, which some say was forged in lost Atlantis, had the power to control ships and bring dead matter, such as the ship's rigging, to life. Brandishing the Sword of Triton, Blackbeard commands unearthly power. As long as its captain wields the Sword, then the vessel will do his will.
The first mention of the "Sword of Triton" is in several Grog Blogs found in the Pirates of the Caribbean Online official website. In "The Sword of Triton Has Been Unearthed" post on April 18, 2011:
- After several days of intense battle to find the rumored item first, the Marceline Guild has unearthed the mighty Sword of Triton!
In the "Sword of Triton Compels Pirates Toward Flagships" post on May 02, 2011:
- Mysteries still surround this infamous blade ... How did it come to the Caribbean? Is its appearance an omen of something deadlier yet to come?
A riddle scrawled on parchment and found buried alongside the sword remains our only clue:
- "This sword holds far more power than meets the eye, for when a royal bow breaks water, ye shall know her name and that of her enslaved crew."
In the "Did You Know? …On Stranger Tides edition" post on May 25, 2011:
- Did You Know? Blackbeard's sword is called the Sword of Triton because...
- It's rumored to have been forged by the legendary sea deity Triton himself in the lost city of Atlantis. The Sword of Triton has passed from one ancient mariner to another, until most recently falling into Blackbeard’s possession.
- Did You Know? The Sword of Triton’s special ability is...
- "Triton's Vengeance!" Three sapphires of Triton are embedded in the blade, granting it "more power than meets the eye" as hinted at in the mysterious poem the Marceline GMs found with the sword. Pirates battling with the Sword of Triton do extra damage against the vile crew aboard the Queen Anne's Revenge.
According to pages from Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides: The Visual Guide:
- Brandishing the Sword of Triton, Blackbeard commands unearthly power. This weapon, which some say was forged in lost Atlantis, channels mythical power that brings dead matter to life.
- Like a monstrous creature, the Queen Anne's Revenge comes to life - as long as its captain wields the Sword of Triton. Then the vessel will do his will, and spread terror in its bloody wake.
When Blackbeard first appears in the film, it was at the end of Jack Sparrow's mutiny aboard the Queen Anne's Revenge. The revolt was quickly stopped in its tracks when Blackbeard himself appeared on deck and used the Sword of Triton to spring the sinister ship to life, in which Jack and his crew of mutineers got caught in its rigging.
During the battle at Whitecap Bay, in which mermaids were attacking his pirate crew, Blackbeard used the sword against the mermaids. The Queen Anne's Revenge sailed and fired its Greek fire cannons to draw the mermaids to the nets held by his crewmen. Through the rest of the quest for the Fountain of Youth, Blackbeard kept the sword in his belt.
In the film's climax, Blackbeard and Hector Barbossa engage in a battle at the Fountain of Youth. Barbossa, now a privateer, wanted revenge for Blackbeard's attack which cost him his right leg. During the duel, Blackbeard was initially able to bring Barbossa down, he was then distracted by the arrival of the Spanish, with Barbossa ultimately stabbing Blackbeard with a poison-laced sword and Angelica accidentally cutting herself on the sword when trying to remove it from her father. Meanwhile, Barbossa claims Blackbeard's sword, and leaves with Blackbeard's crew.
Barbossa had the sword sheathed as he arrived aboard the Queen Anne's Revenge, as its new captain. Using the power of the sword, Barbossa returned to piracy and ordered the Revenge to set sail to Tortuga.
Video Game Appearances
On April 2011, the Sword of Triton was added to the Pirates of the Caribbean Online game. It was an available weapon for all players to wield until the game closed.
The Sword appears as Blackbeard's weapon in the game.
During the Pirates of the Caribbean segment, Blackbeard appears, saying "And what fate befalls mutineers? Now we know the answer to that, do we not?" Blackbeard raises the sword while saying "Mutineers...Hang!" before the next part of the segment.
Behind the scenes
- The name "Sword of Triton", despite not appearing in On Stranger Tides, would be used in several promotional material, such as the film's visual guide and art book.
- Sword of Triton on Pirates of the Caribbean Wiki
- Sword of Triton at Pirates of the Caribbean Online Wiki
Notes and references
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from the Pirates of the Caribbean Wiki. The list of authors can be seen in the page revision history (view authors). As with Disney Wiki, the text of PotC Wiki is available under the CC-by-SA Free Documentation License.|