Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Sunflower is one of the minor protagonists from The Pastoral Symphony animated segment of the 1940 concert film Fantasia. Though she appeared in the film while it was in theaters she has been removed from all releases of the film since 1968 due to perpetuating a racist stereotype.
Sunflower appears to be a very young Centaurette because she is smaller than the other Centaurettes. She is kind but can get mad if the other Centaurettes are not groomed properly.
Sunflower is first seen shining the hooves of one the Centaurettes and then scrubbing it with a cattail. Next, she is seen putting flowers on another Centaurette's tail, which whacks her in the face and the flowers fall off. She starts putting the flowers back on after the other Centaurettes look through a tree at the Centaurs. She is next seen following another Centaurette while holding a flower bridle that the other Centaurette is wearing. When Bacchus arrives, another African Centaurette known as Otika (who resembles Sunflower), rolls the red carpet for Bacchus. When he falls off the chair she runs off and is not seen again in the rest of the segment.
- Despite being a character from Fantasia, Sunflower does not appear in future re-releases of the film.
- The scenes showing her are considered racist and as a result were removed from the film in 1969, in order to minimize controversy.
- Because of her removal from Fantasia, Sunflower is not seen or heard of at the Disney theme parks.
- Despite this, publicity stills showing her from the film are seen in museums and can be purchased.
- Also because of her removal from Fantasia, Sunflower is neither seen in House of Mouse or any other Disney TV shows.
- Her quote is what film critic Roger Ebert imagined her saying.
- In the scenes that she is in, Sunflower has three different hair styles.
- In her first appearance she has four braids with four ribbons, in her second appearance she has two braids with two ribbons as well as a large sunflower on her head, and in her third and final appearance she has two braids with two small sunflowers on them.
- In the scene with Bacchus, it is believed that the African Centaurette who rolls the red carpet is Sunflower.
- However, according to an official source it is another African Centaurette named Otika.