Martin has had a long-time connection with Disney, selling guidebooks and working at the Main Street Magic Shop at Disneyland as his first job and learning comedy from Wally Boag over at the Golden Horseshoe Revue. He states in his autobiography that Boag was one of his earliest influences in comedy.
Years later, he would guest-star on The Muppet Show and portray the insolent waiter in The Muppet Movie and George Banks in Touchstone Pictures' Father of the Bride and its sequel. He was also one of the Interstitial Hosts for Fantasia 2000 and in 2005, alongside Donald Duck, would host the attraction Disneyland: The First 50 Magical Years to celebrate the park's 50th anniversary.
He wrote the upcoming movie Magic Camp.
- He was originally considered for the role of Dodger in Disney's 1988 movie Oliver & Company, along with Burt Reynolds.
- He has stated that his hair started to turn prematurely gray when he was in his late twenties and became completely white by his mid-forties.
- He was considered for the role of Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace.
- He was also considered to voice Genie in Aladdin.
- He was also considered for the role of Captain Jack Sparrow in Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.
- He was also considered for the role of Inspector Gadget in the film of the same name, along with Brendan Fraser, Kevin Kline, Steve Carell, and Chevy Chase.