The show was created by Daron Nefcy, who served as a storyboard revisionist for Wander Over Yonder. She is the first woman to create an animated series for Disney XD. Dave Wasson serves as director and Jordana Arkin as story editor, while both co-executive produce the series.
The series' sneak preview premiered on January 18, 2015 on Disney Channel before premiering on its original network Disney XD which premiered on March 30, 2015. The series officially premiered on May 29, 2015 on the "Disney XD on Disney Channel" block.
- Main article: Star vs. the Forces of Evil episode list
Star Butterfly is a magical princess from the dimension of Mewni. On her fourteenth birthday, she receives the family heirloom wand. However, after she accidentally sets fire to her castle, her parents decide that a safer option is to send her to Earth as a foreign exchange student. She befriends Marco Diaz and lives with his family while attending Echo Creek Academy. Star and Marco must deal with everyday school life while protecting Star's wand from falling into the hands of Ludo, a villain from Mewni who commands an army of monsters. Star and the folks from Mewni are able to travel across dimensions using "Dimensional Scissors" that can open portals.
Cast and characters
- Eden Sher as Star Butterfly
- Adam McArthur as Marco Diaz
- Jenny Slate as Pony Head
- Artt Butler as Rafael Diaz
- Nia Vardalos as Angie Diaz
- Alan Tudyk as River Butterfly/Ludo
- Grey DeLisle as Moon Butterfly/Jackie-Lynn Thomas
- Fred Tatasciore as Buff Frog
- Michael C. Hall as Toffee
- Jeffrey Tambor as Glossaryck
- Main article: Star vs. the Forces of Evil (Joe Books)
Joe Books is releasing an 8-issue comic mini-series called Star vs. the Forces the Evil: Deep Trouble.The series is being written by one of the show's board artists, Zach Marcus, and illustrated by character designer Devin Taylor.
Star vs. the Forces of Evil was very well received with both critics and audiences, with some calling it the best Disney TV animated show since Gravity Falls. As of April 22, 2017 the show currently holds a 8.1 rating from 3513 users on IMDb.com. Many critics have praised the show for its originality, unique art style and memorable characters. The first few episodes of the show were a little criticised for its lack of focus but many agreed that the show got better as it went on.
One of the most discussed and praised elements from show among fans is the relashionship between Star and Marco with many fans considering it the main focus of the show and pairing them romantically in a similar way to how Kim Possible fans paired Kim Possible and Ron Stoppable while the show was airing.
- The show was originally under the title name Star and the Forces of Evil.
- The show was originally scheduled to premiere in the Fall of 2014 before it was pushed back to January 2015.
- The show was originally going to be a Disney Channel original series, but it was announced in Fall 2014 that the show would be a Disney XD series. However, the series began airing in re-runs on Disney Channel in September 2016. It currently airs on that network as part of the Disney Channel Weekend Mornings programming block.
- Daron Nefcy's influences for Star vs. the Forces of Evil are primarily Japanese TV shows, such as Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, Magic Knight Rayearth, Revolutionary Girl Utena, and Unico (which features a pink unicorn). Her Japanese influences mainly come from widely intense shows with female leads.
- Originally, Star Butterfly was going to be a fourth grader but the executives wanted the character to be a little bit older. While it was different than what Daron Nefcy wanted, it did allow the show to play around with concepts that fall more in line with the teenage audience of Disney XD.
|Disney Television Animation series|