The show was created by Daron Nefcy, who served as a storyboard revisionist for Wander Over Yonder. She is the first woman to create an animated series for Disney XD. Dave Wasson serves as director and Jordana Arkin as story editor, while both co-executive produce the series.
The series' sneak preview premiered on January 18, 2015 on Disney Channel before premiering on its original network Disney XD which premiered on March 30, 2015. The series officially premiered on May 29, 2015 on the "Disney XD on Disney Channel" block.
- Main article: Star vs. the Forces of Evil episode list
Star Butterfly is a magical princess from the dimension of Mewni. On her fourteenth birthday, she receives the family heirloom wand. However, after she accidentally sets fire to her castle, her parents decide that a safer option is to send her to Earth as a foreign exchange student. She befriends Marco Diaz and lives with his family while attending Echo Creek Academy. Star and Marco must deal with everyday school life while protecting Star's wand from falling into the hands of Ludo, a villain from Mewni who commands an army of monsters. Star and the folks from Mewni are able to travel across dimensions using "Dimensional Scissors" that can open portals.
Cast and characters
- Star Butterfly (Eden Sher), a magic teenage princess who is sent to Earth to live with the Diaz family by her parents.
- Marco Diaz (Adam McArthur), the teenage son of the Diaz family. When Star arrives on Earth, she takes him on adventures to fight evil villains.
- Pony Head (Jenny Slate) - a floating unicorn head who is Star's best friend from her home dimension.
- Mr. Diaz (voiced by Artt Butler) - Marco's father who likes puppies.
- Mrs. Diaz (voiced by Nia Vardalos) - Marco's mother. Like her husband, Mrs. Diaz likes puppies.
- Principal Skeeves (voiced by Jeff Bennett) - The principal at Echo Creek Academy.
- Miss Skullnick (voiced by Dee Dee Rescher) - The teacher at Echo Creek Academy who doesn't take her job seriously.
- Jackie-Lynn Thomas (voiced by Grey DeLisle) - A skateboarding girl whom Marco has a crush on.
- Brittney Wong (voiced by Minae Noji) - A student at Echo Creek Academy who is the resident cheerleader.
- Ferguson O'durguson and Alfonzo Dolittle (voiced by Nate Torrence and Matt Chapman) - Friends of Marco and students at Echo Creek Academy who befriend Star.
- Lars - The school bully at Echo Creek Academy who enjoys harming others for his amusement. He doesn't like it when others fight back against him.
- Jeremy Birnbaum (voiced by Joshua Rush) - A spoiled rich brat who is Marco's rival in karate.
- River Butterfly (voiced by Alan Tudyk) - Star Butterfly's father and the ruler of Mewni. He and his wife have Star sent to Earth.
- Moon Butterfly (voiced by Grey DeLisle) - Star Butterfly's mother. She and her husband have Star sent to Earth. Queen Butterfly previously owned the Royal Magic Wand before it was handed down to Star.
- King Pony Head (voiced by Maurice LaMarche) - The ruler of the Uni dimension and Pony Head's father.
- Ludo (voiced by Alan Tudyk) - The primary antagonist of the series. Ludo is a short, dark grayish-green monster with a beak-like mouth. He plans to obtain Star's wand so that he can take over the universe.
- Buff Frog (voiced by Fred Tatasciore) - Buff Frog is a humanoid frog-like creature that is a member of Ludo's army. He acts as Ludo's spy.
- Tom Lucitor (voiced by Rider Strong) - A three-eyed horned demon who is Star's ex-boyfriend.
- Toffee (voiced by Michael C. Hall) - An evil efficiency expert who is hired by Ludo and later overthrows him as leader of his army
- Main article: Star vs. the Forces of Evil (Joe Books)
Joe Books is releasing an 8-issue comic mini-series called Star vs. the Forces the Evil: Deep Trouble.The series is being written by one of the show's board artists, Zach Marcus, and illustrated by character designer Devin Taylor.
Star vs. the Forces of Evil was very well received with both critics and audiences, with some calling it the best Disney TV animated show since Gravity Falls. As of April 22, 2017 the show currently holds a 8.1 rating from 3513 users on IMDb.com. Many critics have praised the show for its originality, unique art style and memorable characters. The first few episodes of the show were a little criticised for its lack of focus but many agreed that the show got better as it went on.
One of the most discussed and praised elements from show among fans is the relashionship between Star and Marco with many fans considering it the main focus of the show and pairing them romantically in a similar way to how Kim Possible fans paired Kim Possible and Ron Stoppable while the show was airing.
- The show was originally under the title name Star and the Forces of Evil.
- The show was originally scheduled to premiere in the Fall of 2014 before it was pushed back to January 2015.
- The show was originally going to be a Disney Channel original series, but it was announced in Fall 2014 that the show would be a Disney XD series. However, the series began airing in re-runs on Disney Channel in September 2016. It currently airs on that network as part of the Disney Channel Weekend Mornings programming block.
- Daron Nefcy's influences for Star vs. the Forces of Evil are primarily Japanese TV shows, such as Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, Magic Knight Rayearth, Revolutionary Girl Utena, and Unico (which features a pink unicorn). Her Japanese influences mainly come from widely intense shows with female leads.
- Originally, Star Butterfly was going to be a fourth grader but the executives wanted the character to be a little bit older. While it was different than what Daron Nefcy wanted, it did allow the show to play around with concepts that fall more in line with the teenage audience of Disney XD.
|Disney Television Animation series|