Unofficial reports claimed in November 2012 that Lawrence Kasdan, who originally wrote the screenplays for both The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, and co-writer Simon Kinberg would divide writing responsibilities for The Last Jedi and IX, and both would co-produce all three films of the upcoming sequel trilogy, alongside Kathleen Kennedy.
However, in February 2013, Disney confirmed that Kasdan and Kinberg were working on standalone films, not sequel trilogy episodes.
During a concert with the Young Musician's Foundation Debut Orchestra on February 9, composer John Williams stated that he was hoping to get the chance to write the musical scores for the entire new trilogy. His involvement was made official when Star Wars Insider 144 stated he would score the "new Star Wars trilogy".
In August 2015, it was announced that Colin Trevorrow would write and direct the film. However, in September 2017 it was announced that Trevorrow will no longer work as a director on the film.
Lead actors Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, and Oscar Isaac are all signed on to return in the film, as well as actors Adam Driver and Andy Serkis, who portray the trilogy's main antagonists.
On September 12, 2017, it was announced that J. J. Abrams will return to direct the film, replacing Colin Trevorrow, with Chris Terrio announced to be writing the script with Abrams. It was further announced later in the day that the film had been delayed to December 20, 2019.
- Daisy Ridley as Rey
- John Boyega as Finn
- Adam Driver as Ben Solo/Kylo Ren
- Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker
- Oscar Isaac as Poe Dameron
- Andy Serkis as Supreme Leader Snoke
- Anthony Daniels as C-3PO
- Peter Mayhew as Chewbacca
- Gugu Mbatha-Raw as TBA
- Greg Grunberg as Snap Wexley
- Jimmy Vee as R2-D2
- ↑ "Star Wars: Episode IX and Next Indiana Jones Get Release Dates". StarWars.com (April 25, 2017).
- ↑ J. J. Abrams returning to Star Wars Episode IX
- ↑ "Star Wars: Episode IX Moves To Dec. 2019, Disney’s Christopher Robin Project Opens Next August". Deadline (September 12, 2017).
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from the Wookieepedia. The list of authors can be seen in the page revision history (view authors).. As with Disney Wiki, the text of Wookieepedia is available under the CC-by-SA Free Documentation License.|