- “The Preeminent Spaceline in the Galaxy.”
- ―company slogan.
Star Tours is the titular fictional travel agency found in the Star Tours and Star Tours: The Adventures Continue Disney theme park attractions. It is set in the Star Wars universe created by George Lucas.
Star Tours offers intergalactic sightseeing tours of celestial bodies throughout the galaxy, utilizing transports from the StarSpeeder family of spacecrafts among others. Droids represented a large part of Star Tours' workforce.
Star Tours was founded sometime just before the Clone Wars initially providing travel packages to only a few destinations such as Glee Anselm and Naboo. Business had greatly expanded, however, in the years within the Galactic Civil War even opening up terminals as far as the Earth system. During this time, Star Tours faced considerable scrutiny from the Empire on the grounds that the spaceline was merely a front for the Rebel Alliance.
- Main article: StarSpeeder 1000
- Main article: StarSpeeder 3000
Towards the end of the Galactic Civil War, Star Tours operated the StarSpeeder 3000, an updated or upgraded version of the 1000 model. Essentially, the StarSpeeder 3000 could only be told apart from the StarSpeeder 1000 predecessors by the paint scheme.
Star Tours' livery for the StarSpeeder 3000 consisted of an almost completely white paint scheme with two thin light blue stripes running along the sides of the fuselage, with the Star Tours logo or flight number displayed adjacent to the entry and exit doors to the front passenger seating row. Similar to its predecessor, the StarSpeeder 3000 was operated by a crew of two: one RX-series pilot droid and one astromech droid.
Though the StarSpeeder family of transports dominated the Star Tours fleet, Star Tours operated at least one other type of ship, a ship of Corellian design similar to the CR90 corvette. It is unknown how many the company operated, though one particular craft was lost in a freak accident in which its hyperdrive was activated, sending the ship crashing into Dathomir, killing nearly all of its passengers.
Incidents and accidents
- Circa 2-0 BBY - Star Tours Flight 1401 harbored a Rebel spy and was pursued by Imperial agents in various parts of the galaxy in an attempt to deliver the spy to a secret rendezvous transmitted to the StarSpeeder's astromech unit.
- 0 ABY - A Star Tours flight involving a Corellian-built yacht known as the Tzarina, a ship of similar design to the CR90 corvette, occurred during the Battle of Yavin. When the tour was diverted towards Yavin, an out-of-control Imperial TIE fighter collided with the Tzarina, inadvertently activating its hyperdrive, sending the vessel towards Dathomir, where it crash landed. The ensuing crash killed all but one passenger.
- 4.3 ABY - Star Tours Flight 45 was a flight involving a StarSpeeder 3000 en route to Endor, which found itself in a series of several dangerous incidents attributed to pilot error. The ship, piloted by inexperienced pilot droid RX-24 AKA "Rex," nearly crashed upon takeoff, suddenly making a sharp turn toward the spaceport's maintenance bay instead of the spaceport's launch corridor. With the pilot unable to stop the craft, the ship crashed through the hangar bay doors and fell precariously towards the bottom of the hangar before recovering and escaping the spaceport. This was followed by a miscalculated jump to hyperspace, in which the ship overshot the moon of Endor, instead ending up in a field of comets. Captain Rex dangerously but successfully navigated the ship through a massive comet, only to be caught in the tractor beam of an Imperial Star Destroyer during a space battle between Imperial forces and the New Republic, which involved a new Imperial Death Star battlestation. With the assistance of a Republic X-wing pilot, the StarSpeeder escaped the tractor beam and found itself accompanying an entire squadron of New Republic X-wing starfighters on its assault on the Death Star. As the squadron and StarSpeeder made their way down the Death Star's trench, Captain Rex used the StarSpeeder's forward laser cannons to fend off Imperial TIE fighters while an X-wing pilot fired proton torpedoes into the Death Star's thermal exhaust port to destroy the battlestation. The X-wing fighters and StarSpeeder immediately jumped to lightspeed as the Death Star disintegrated in a fiery explosion. Flight 45 did make its way back to spaceport, but came out of lightspeed too fast, narrowly missing a fuel truck in the spaceport before landing safely. It is unknown what became of Captain Rex following the events of Flight 45.
DestinationsStar Tours offered flights to the following destinations throughout its history:
- Etti IV
- Garos IV
- Glee Anselm
- Polis Massa
- Yavin 4
StaffThe following have been known to work for Star Tours at some point in time.
- ↑ http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Tours#History
- ↑ http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog/2010/08/13/new-disney-merchandise-revealed-at-star-wars-celebration/
- ↑ http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tzarina