Songbird (AKA Melissa Gold) is a Marvel Comics character who appears in Avengers Assemble. She was formerly the supervillain Screaming Mimi, and was a member of the Masters of Evil. However, as Songbird, she posed as, and later genuinely became, a superhero, and was a member of the Thunderbolts (the Masters all posing as a hero team, but became one in earnest).
She later temporarily became a member of the government-allied Mighty Avengers.
Melissa Gold was given a device by the corrupt corporate executives at Roxxon that allows her to use devastating sonic screams, a power that she uses to commit crimes as the supervillain Screaming Mimi. She joined the Masters of Evil in order to defeat the Avengers.
She later resurfaces as the superheroine Songbird, helping the Avengers defeat Growing Man. Afterwards, she and the rest of the Thunderbolts turned against Baron Zemo and gave up their villainous ways. After Truman Marsh persuaded the National Secruity Council to approve the Inhuman Registration Act, the Avengers quit, and Songbird joined the government-sanctioned Mighty Avengers. When the original Avengers attempted to save 3 Inhumans from being apprehended, Songbird defected to the old Avengers when she decided what Marsh was doing was wrong. After she and the renegade Avengers were arrested, they escaped and fought a mind-controlled Black Bolt and Medusa.
Power and Abilities
- Acoustikinesis: After burning out her original vocal sound-based abilities, Melissa was given a set of vocal cord implants and an external harness that allowed her to produce a number of effects. She can generate powerful sonic blasts, sonic force-fields, and can even create solid objects created from sound including battering rams, pincers and platforms. Melissa can also generate high pitched sonic vibrations that are subtle enough to avoid her being consciously detected by others and, thereby, allowing her to influence the actions of others.
- Flight: By creating wings out of pure sound energy, Gold can propel herself through the air at great speeds; most likely supersonic at the speeds of sound.
- Superhuman Strength: After undergoing the treatment, Melissa's musculature, skeletal structure, and connective tissues were drastically strengthened and augmented. As a result, she was granted superhuman strength. At her highest peak of strength and power, Melissa possesses sufficient strength to lift about 2 tons.
- Superhuman Speed: The superior energy output and force of her muscles enables Melissa to run and move at speeds that are beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Stamina: Melissa's muscles are more efficient than those of an ordinary human. As a result, they produce less fatigue toxins during physical activity than those of normal humans. At her peak, she can exert herself for several hours before the build up of fatigue toxins in her bloodstream begins to impair her.
- Superhuman Durability: Melissa's bodily tissues are tougher and more resistant to some forms of physical injury than those of a normal human. Melissa's body is able to withstand great impact and blunt force trauma. She can withstand impacts, such as falling from several stories or being repeatedly struck with superhuman force, that would severely injure or kill a normal human with little or no injury to herself.
- Superhuman Agility: Melissa's agility, balance and bodily coordination are enhanced to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Melissa's reflexes are similarly enhanced and are superior to those of the finest human athlete.