|Sofia the First|
|Created by||Craig Gerber|
|Directed by||Jamie Mitchell|
|Opening theme||Sofia the First Theme Song|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||37 (List of episodes)|
|Running time||22 minutes|
48 minutes (Specials)
|Production company(s)||Disney Television Animation|
Disney Junior Originals
|Original channel||Disney Channel|
|First shown in||November 18, 2012 (premiere)|
|Original airing||January 11, 2013 (series)|
- Main article: Sofia the First episode list
The series follows the adventures of a young girl named Sofia who becomes a princess overnight after her mother marries the king. Sofia tries her best to adapt to her new life being a princess and has her stepbrother and sister James and Amber to help her along with the headmistresses of the Royal Preparitory Academy Flora, Fauna and Merryweather, the Three Good Fairies from Disney’s classic Sleeping Beauty and, when Sofia is at her darkest hours, classic Disney Princesses Cinderella, Jasmine, Belle, Ariel, Aurora, Snow White, Mulan, Tiana and Rapunzel are there for her.
Sofia learns that looking like a princess isn't all that hard, but behaving like one must come from the heart. The stories focus on the idea that what makes a real princess is what's on the inside. The show highlights character qualities such as kindness, courage, generosity, loyalty, honesty and grace. Subjects such as sincerity and forgiveness are heavily focused on. She has the magical and incredibly powerful Amulet of Avalor that allows her to talk with animals and turn into a mermaid. However her amulet is coveted by the sorcerer Cedric, who desires its tremendous magical power to take over the kingdom of Enchancia.
Cast and Characters
- Main article: Sofia the First Characters
- Princess Sofia (Ariel Winter) - A little girl who once lived in the village until her mother married the King and suddenly became royalty. She learns that looking like a princess isn't all that hard, but behaving like one must come from the heart.
- Princess Amber (Darcy Rose Byrnes) - Sofia's stepsister and the twin sister of Prince James. Although she cares for family and friends, she can be a little vain and prissy in certain regards to what she thinks being a princess is all about.
- Prince James (Zach Callison) - The twin brother of Princess Amber and Sofia's stepbrother. Unlike his sister, James is not at all vain and is very helpful towards Sofia. He is rather easygoing for a prince, sometimes displaying behavior not normally seen in royalty.
- Queen Miranda (Sara Ramirez) - Sofia's mother who was once a shoemaker until she married the king and became the queen of Enchancia. Unlike the wicked type stepmothers, Miranda is kind and loving to both her daughter and stepchildren.
- King Roland II (Travis Willingham) - The King of Enchancia who fell in love and married Miranda, becoming Sofia's stepfather.
- Clover (Wayne Brady) - Sofia's pet rabbit and best animal friend who enjoys snacks but not cuddles.
- Cedric the Sorcerer (Jess Harnell) - The bumbling Royal Sorcerer of Enchancia who desires to steal Sofia's magic amulet and take over the kingdom.
- Cinderella (Jennifer Hale) - From Cinderella she helps Sofia make amends with Amber and become true sisters.
- Jasmine (Linda Larkin) - From Aladdin she teaches Sofia and Amber how to tame a wild carpet and not to be afraid of trying something new. Her singing voice was performed by Lea Salonga.
- Belle (Julie Nathanson) - From Beauty and the Beast she shows Sofia that actions speak louder than words when apologising for bragging.
- Ariel (Jodi Benson) - From The Little Mermaid she encourages Sofia to enlist Cora to help rescue Oona from the sea monster, saying that the love of family is held by all. She is the first Disney Princess not to be shown in her re-design.
- Aurora (Kate Higgins) - From Sleeping Beauty she teaches Sofia that in a crisis she can always count on her animal friends. She is the first Disney Princess who doesn't sing in the series.
- Snow White (Katherine Von Till) - From Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs she teaches Sofia to learn the importance of trusting one’s instincts after Sofia suspects that a visiting sorceress is not who she says she is. She is the second Disney Princess who doesn't sing in the series.
- Fa Mulan (Ming-Na Wen) - From Mulan she teaches Sofia and her friends that they are stronger than they know. Her singing voice was performed by Lea Salonga and is the second Disney Princess not to be shown in her re-design, with Ariel being the first.
On January 24, 2013, Disney announced via their new music blog about a soundtrack containing songs from the show that would be released on February 12, 2013. The track listing is as follows:
First Album Listing
- Sofia the First Theme Song
- Princess Things
- Make Some Noise
- Cedric The Great
- Royal Fun
- Perfect Slumber Party
- All You Need
- Blue Ribbon Bunny (Song)
- I Belong
- The Goldenwing Circus
- True Sisters (Bonus track)
- Rise and Shine (Bonus track)
Second Album Listing
- Sisters and Brothers
- Merroway Cove (song)
- The Love We Share
- Bigger Is Better
- (You Can Always) Count On Baileywick
- Make It Right
- Good Little Witch (Ballad)
- Good Little Witch
- The Ride of Your Lives
- A Recipe for Adventure
- Bring My Best Friend Back
- The Simple Life
- Make Way for Miss Nettle (song)
- Enchancia Anthem
- Be Who You Wanna Be (Bonus Track)
In October 2012, Disney confirmed that Sofia is their first Latina princess. According to a Disney spokeswoman, "...Sofia's mother, Queen Miranda, was born in a fictitious land, Galdiz, a place with Latin influences. Miranda met Sofia's father, Birk Balthazar, who hailed from the kingdom of Friezenberg, and together they moved to Enchancia where Sofia was born." As a result, some people have criticized a lack of cultural signifiers or ethnic identity in Sofia's character.
A range of Sofia the First merchandise has been launched by the Disney Store in the US, including costumes, books, toy figures, and homeware. Products have also been launched in the UK and France.