- “Come meet the new girl in crown.”
Sofia the First is a 3D computer-animated television series that officially premiered with its first half-hour episode on January 11, 2013. The series pilot made its debut on Disney Channel on November 18, 2012 with a one-hour special. The series stars Modern Family actress Ariel Winter as the voice of the titular character, who is a young girl standing on the verge of becoming a proper, royal princess.
- Main article: Sofia the First episode list
The series follows the adventures of Sofia, a young girl who becomes a princess overnight after her mother marries the king. Sofia tries her best to adapt to her new life being a princess and has her stepbrother and sister James and Amber to help her along with the headmistresses of the Royal Preparatory Academy Flora, Fauna and Merryweather, the Three Good Fairies from Disney’s classic Sleeping Beauty and, when Sofia is at her darkest hours, classic Disney Princesses are there for her whenever Sofia needs help.
Sofia learns that looking like a princess isn't all that hard, but behaving like one must come from the heart. The stories focus on the idea that what makes a real princess is what's on the inside. The show highlights character qualities such as kindness, courage, generosity, loyalty, honesty, and grace. Subjects such as sincerity and forgiveness are heavily focused on. She has the magical and incredibly powerful Amulet of Avalor that allows her to talk with animals, shrink, and even turn into a mermaid. However, her amulet is coveted by the sorcerer Cedric, who desires its tremendous magical power to take over the kingdom of Enchancia.
Cast and Characters
- Main article: List of Sofia the First characters
- Ariel Winter as Princess Sofia
- Darcy Rose Byrnes as Princess Amber
- Zach Callison/Tyler Merna/Nicolas Cantu as Prince James
- Sara Ramirez as Queen Miranda
- Travis Willingham as King Roland II
- Wayne Brady as Clover
- Jess Harnell as Cedric the Sorcerer
In October 2012, Disney confirmed that Sofia is their first Hispanic princess. According to a Disney spokeswoman, "...Sofia's mother, Queen Miranda, was born in a fictitious land, Galdiz, a place with Hispanic influences. Miranda met Sofia's father, Birk Balthazar, who hailed from the Kingdom of Friezenberg, and together they moved to Enchancia where Sofia was born." As a result, some people have criticized a lack of cultural signifiers or ethnic identity in Sofia's character.
A range of Sofia the First merchandise has been produced everywhere in the world.
- The animations in Seasons Two and Three are lighter than those in Season One.
- Purple is the most common and favored color throughout the series due to it being Sofia's signature color.
- At the beginning of the series, the Royal Preparatory Academy's students learn there are one hundred and thirty-eight kingdoms. That does not count two kingdoms revealed throughout the series: Merroway Cove and Hakalo. Only the Royal Family of Enchancia (Princess Sofia and her parents and siblings) knows about these two kingdoms.
- Sofia was the only Princess at Royal Prep to ride a horse, but now Amber does. In "Substitute Cedric", Maya can be seen wearing a Derby uniform.