So Random! (stylized as SO R@n:D0ᴟ!) was an American Disney Channel sketch comedy series that premiered on June 5, 2011. It was announced as an independent series after Demi Lovato left the parent series, Sonny with a Chance. The series features the actors who acted in Sonny with a Chance, besides Demi Lovato: Tiffany Thornton, Sterling Knight, Brandon Mychal Smith, Doug Brochu and Allisyn Ashley Arm and other featured actors who recur in the series. The series premiere was watched by 4.1 million viewers.
Concept, production and premise
In Sonny with a Chance, Demi Lovato plays the title character, Sonny Monroe, a new member of the cast of the sketch comedy show So Random!, which is presented as a show-within-a-show. The series follows the experiences of Sonny and the rest of the So Random cast. The full-length sketch comedy episode format was played within Sonny with a Chance during season 2 of the series for the Christmas and Halloween episodes. In October 2010, Lovato underwent treatment for "physical and emotional issues," and in April 2011 she confirmed that she would not be returning to Sonny with a Chance for its third season. She stated that returning to acting immediately wouldn't be healthy for her recovery.
Following Lovato's departure from the series, So Random! was introduced as its own series that will focus more on comedy skits than Sonny with a Chance. Filming for the season began on January 30, 2011. Each episode will feature sketch comedy skits with the So Random! cast, as well as a musical performance by a guest star. Originally intended to be a third season of Sonny with a Chance, Disney began to describe the show as a separate series following Lovato's confirmed departure.
Each episode typically consists of five or six sketches. Though it is formatted as a sketch comedy series, So Random! retains the fictional universe style of the sitcom it spun off from, with the main cast members playing both the characters they originated on Sonny with a Chance, in addition to playing the characters appearing in each of the sketches; in addition, each episode is typically written by two writers (whereas opening segments and sketches in a traditional sketch comedy series are written by a team of up to twelve writers).
- Angus: Supermodel from Down Under - An Australian Shin Model who gets into peoples personal spaces.
- Anime Brothers - Scott and Elliot Kravitz (both dressed as parodies of Goku and Naruto Uzumaki) and are obsessed with Anime cartoons, and act as if they are in the cartoons.
- Braggy Benson - A segment about a kid who doesn't mean to brag.
- Cheerleader Tryouts - A female Coach is stuck with exotic characters trying our for cheerleading. They usually never make it.
- Chilly Slab Ice Cream Shop - Chilly Slab Ice-Cream Shop is the ice cream shop that is thankful to everything.
- Dr. Goldstein - A segment about a dentist.
- Harry Potter in the Real World - After saving the world many times, Harry Potter takes on the challenges of the Real World.
- M.C. Grammar - A rapper, who rhymes grammatically, corrects people while he raps.
- Nolan - A French-speaking hand who gives advice.
- Puppy Playdate - Victoria and Lyla go on a playdate with their dogs with conversations between them end up insulting other people.
- Rufus: Kid with Excuses - A boy named Rufus tends to come up with different excuses to evade getting into trouble.
- Raised by Beavers - A buck-toothed girl named Becky was raised by Beavers and tries to hide the fact from anyone she meets.
- Sally Jensen Kid Lawyer - Sally Jensen helps a different child when it comes to whatever wrongful act someone has done to them.
- Simple Country Boy - A country boy with no background story happens to know how to handle any type of situation.
- So Random's Inappropriate Places for a Flash Mob - This segment shows the inappropriate places for people to start a Flash Mob.
- Tantrum Girl - A girl named Tantrum Girl tends to lose her temper at specific things when talking about something else.
- Teachers, Don't Try to Be Cool - A teacher named Mr. Goodman tries to fit in with his students and acts as if he doesn't play by the rules. This usually gets him hurt though.
- Teen Rage - Three Teenagers created a band called Teen Rage against Parents and Teachers.
- The Back Up Singers - A nerdy girl named Janice has two back up singers who help her get dates.
- The Platowski Brothers - Dwayne and Calvin Platowski sing about sibling rivalry and how much they hate each other.
- The Real Princesses of New Jersey - Three princesses who are stuck-up and from New Jersey re-live fairy tales in modern day.
- The Coolest Kid In School - The Coolest Kid In School spoofs The Most Interesting Man in the World commercials.
- The Sparrow Family - This sketch details with a family of sparrows with one of them being a sparrow version of Jack Sparrow.
- Volde-Mart - This segment deals with a store that is owned by Lord Voldemot.
- Wheel of Fortune - Pat Sajak tries to host special edition versions of Wheel of Fortune, but the guests never get through the round because they are too distracted.
- Zombie Man - Andy is friends with a zombie named Zombie Man who tends to eat those close to him.
Except for Lovato, the main cast of So Random! is identical to that of its parent series, Sonny with a Chance.
- Tiffany Thornton as Tawni Hart, who likes to be the center of attention.
- Sterling Knight as Chad Dylan Cooper. In Sonny with a Chance he is an egotistical and self-centered cast member of Mackenzie Falls but has now joined the cast of So Random!.
- Brandon Mychal Smith as Nico Harris, the slick fast-talker of the group. He and Grady are best friends.
- Doug Brochu as Grady Mitchell, a gullible goof. He and Nico are best friends.
- Allisyn Ashley Arm as Zora Lancaster, the cool one.
- Matthew Scott Montgomery as Matthew Bailey
- Shayne Topp as Shayne Zabo
- Damien Haas as Damien Johanssen
- Bridget Shergalis as Bridget Cook
- Audrey Whitby as Audrey Vale
Guest stars and artists
- Cody Simpson, performing "All Day"
- Greyson Chance, performing "Waiting Outside the Lines"
- Selena Gomez & the Scene, performing "Who Says"
- Jacob Latimore, performing "Like 'Em All"
- Mindless Behavior, performing "My Girl"
- Colbie Caillat, performing "Brighter Than the Sun"
- Kicking Daisies, performing "Keeping Secrets"
- Dave Days, performing "What Does it Take"
- Hot Chelle Rae, performing "Tonight Tonight"
- Iyaz and Mann, performing "Pretty Girls"
- Lemonade Mouth, performing "Determinate"
- Justin Bieber, performing "Mistletoe"
- Christina Grimmie, performing "Advice"
- Andy Grammer, performing "Keep Your Head Up"
- The Ready Set, performing "Young Forever"
- New Boyz, performing "Meet My Mom"
Participators (in a sketch/sketches)
- Tony Hawk, performing in Lunch Lady Selects
- Eric Jacobson as Miss Piggy participating in sketches
- Chelsea Kane, participating in the Nolan Knows It Best, Dance Fever, and Super-Sized Sunglass Sass-Off sketches
- Bridgit Mendler and Adam Hicks, participating in Talking to Girls with Chester McFowler, Manny McPhee, and Harry Potter in the Real World sketches.
- Leigh-Allyn Baker and Mia Talerico, participating in sketches.
- Dylan Sprouse and Cole Sprouse and Debby Ryan, participating in sketches
Performers and participators
- Mitchel Musso, performing "Get Away", and participating in a sketch
- Coco Jones, performing "Stand Up", and participating in sketches (namely "Puppy Playdate")
- Far East Movement and Miguel, performing "Rocketeer", and participating in a sketch
- China Anne McClain performing "Unstoppable", and participating in sketches.
The series' premiere earned mixed reviews. it has a rating of 6.6/10 on TV.com, 4.5/5 on TV Guide and 4.4/10 on IMDb. Emily Ashby of Common Sense Media gave the series four out of five stars, writing, "Sonny spin-off offers family-friendly sketch comedy, an excellent choice for families".
- "So Random!" – Brandon Mychal Smith
- "Socks with Sandals" by Footy Scent featuring Hush Puppy – Doug Brochu featuring Brandon Mychal Smith
- "Schooled by Grammar" by MC Grammar – Brandon Mychal Smith featuring Tiffany Thornton, Shayne Topp, and Sterling Knight
- "Bracey Girrlz Rap" by Bracey Girrlz – Allisyn Ashley Arm and Grace Bannon featuring Brandon Mychal Smith and Damien Haas with a voice by Audrey Whitby
- "Ketchup on Everything" by Tomatow Sue and the Posse – Allisyn Ashley Arm featuring Brandon Mychal Smith and Doug Brochu
- "Candy Pants" by Footy Scent featuring Hush Puppy – Doug Brochu featuring Brandon Mychal Smith
- "The Gift of Grammar" by MC Grammar feat. Typo and Dr. Dreidel - Brandon Mychal Smith feat. Shayne Topp, Sterling Knight, Tiffany Thornton and Allisyn Ashley Arm
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The article or pieces of the original article was at So Random!. The list of authors can be seen in the . As with Disney Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|