- “You can't turn back the clock, kid, but you can wind it up again.”
- ―Smokey to Lightning McQueen
Smokey's design is based on a 1947 Hudson pickup truck. He is painted orange, with areas of rust on his fenders and flatbed, which seems to have a patch of brown. He has blue eyes and yellow rims, and also carries the Smokey's Automotive Service logo on his doors.
Role in the film
Smokey was Doc's trainer when he was learning to race. While Lightning McQueen is recovering from his crash, he remembers this and wonders if Smokey can help him train to beat Jackson Storm. He comes across Smokey, Louise Nash, River Scott, and Junior Moon. At one point, Smokey informs McQueen that while he may not become as fast as Jackson Storm, he can be smarter than him.
Smokey is confirmed as a playable character in the game.
- He is named after the late mechanic Smokey Yunick, who was known for working as a mechanic, designer and crew chief in the initial years of NASCAR, but also raced in the sport.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "New 'Cars 3' characters inspired by NASCAR legends".. ESPN (March 29, 2017). Retrieved on March 29, 2017.
- ↑ "Cars Character Profiles". Pixar Post. Retrieved on May 10, 2017.