Ride with the tide!
Deep beneath the waves, King Triton's powerful trident has passed through the magical barrier that surrounds the Isle of the Lost-keeping villains in and magic out. And when Mal's longtime rival Uma, daughter of Ursula, gets wind of this, she can't believe her luck. The tide has dragged in something good for a change, and Uma is determined to get her wicked hands on it. But first, she needs a pirate crew.
A storm is brewing back in Auradon, and when Mal, Evie, Carlos, and Jay hear that the trident has been washed away, they realize they'll have to find it before anyone from the Isle does. Luckily, they seem to have a talent for locating missing magical objects.
As Uma readies for the high seas alongside Harry, son of Captain Hook, Gil, son of Gaston, and the toughest rogues on the Isle of the Lost, the reformed villains of Auradon devise their own master plan. And with King Ben away on royal business, they won't have to play by all the rules. Using bad for good can't be totally evil, right?
The thrilling, perilous race to the trident pits old friends-and current enemies-against each other with the future of Auradon on the line. Both teams might like to make waves, but only one will come out on top of this one.
Years ago, on the Isle of the Lost, Mal wasn't just friends with Mad Maddy; she also teamed up with the daughter of the Sea Witch, Uma for all kinds of mischief. However, an attempt to prank the especially mean Cruella De Vil leads Mal to seemingly falling off the docks and into the water. Uma tries to save her, only for Mal to surprise her and dump a bucket of shrimp on Uma. No mater how much Uma tried to wash her hair, the disgusting smell never left her locks.
Fast-forward to Descendants, Uma watches Carlos, Jay and Evie board the royal limousine to be taken to Auradon for a chance at a better life. Uma seethes with envy when she finds out that Mal was also chosen. From that day foward, she vowed to get off the island and into Auradon.
And now, the present day.
All of Auradon's kingdoms hold celebrations, which lead up to the cotillion. Watching Sebastian lead a wonderful musical performance are none other than the VKs, having been invited by King Ben. Evie has also gained a new friend in Arabella, niece to Ariel; Arabella copies Evie's outfits, although in shades of purple and lilac. The celebration suddenly comes to an end when an unexpected storm strikes. Fearing it may be the disabled talismans of evil, the VKs decide to have Fairy Godmother destroy them before anything else happens. However, this releases a burst of wild magic, which briefly causes the isle of the lost's dome to disappear.
The next day, Ben is called away on royal business because Agrabah and Nothern Wei are having a dispute that could end in violence. The Auradon Knights win against the merman team, elsewhere. Carlos convinces Jane to attend the cheerleader tryouts as she's better suited for it than being a mascot. At the same time, Jay joins the R.O.A.R. team, being coached by Lonnie's older brother Shang Jr. Evie finds Mal using her spell book to avoid detention for being late to class, scolding her. They later find Arabella upset, and learn that she caused the storm yesterday by trying to use her grandfather's trident. However, she lost control of it and it flew away.
To be continued
- Agrabah is next to Northen Wei, which is the equivalent of China from Mulan.
- A new Auradon sport is introduced: R.O.A.R.
- Audrey dumps Chad Charming.
- Evie hands over the magic mirror to the museum.
- Beast and Belle are still out on their cruise.
- Evie names her clothing designs as Evie 4 Hearts.
- A third school exists on the Isle of the Lost: Serpent Prep.
- New characters are introduced
- Going by Arabella's comments, it seems mermaids gained the ability to turn into humans once on land. Or possibly, Triton changes his family members back for their annual undersea party.
- It's confirmed that while Carlos and Jane shared a dance in the last story, they weren't actually a an official couple at that point.
- It's shown how deeply they care for each other as Carlos encourages Jane to become a cheerleader, and Jane helps prevent him from getting expelled.
- At the end of the story, Mal asks to keep her mother's prison in her room, effectively keeping her as a pet.