Professor Z, short for Zündapp, is the secondary antagonist in Cars 2. He is voiced by German actor Thomas Kretschmann.
"Professor Z, aka “The Professor,” is an internationally wanted weapons designer in a small, sophisticated German package. He is a brilliant, but mad monocle-wearing scientist who is plotting to sabotage the World Grand Prix. Though his true motive is unclear, Professor Z is willing to do whatever it takes to eliminate all obstacles and keep the “project” on schedule."
During the film, it is learned that the Professor is not the main villain (as believed at first) nor is he the leader of the lemon cars. As it turns out, he is actually working for Miles Axlerod. Since Professor Z is a scientist, Miles has him invent an electro magnetic pulse device which is disguised as a World Grand Prix camera, to use on the racers that use the gas Allinol. This was all part of a plan to turn the world against alternative energy and have all cars rely on gasoline, bringing profits to the lemon cars and himself due to the fact that they own the largest untapped oil reserves in the world.
- Top Speed: 50 mph
- 0 - 50 mph: 12 seconds
- Engine Type: 2-stroke single cylinder 250 cc
- Horsepower: 14
- He is modeled as a Zündapp Janus, a micro-car in which back passengers sit facing backward.
- His license plate is BAD GA 58, which appears to be a pun on "bad guy". The 58 is one of the years the Zündapp Janus was made (1957-1958).
- This model is nicknamed 'Kabinenroller' that is German for cabin roller.
- Professor Z is the second secondary antagonist of a Pixar film and sequel to be believed to be the main antagonist, the first being Al McWhiggin in Toy Story 2.
- ↑ ‘Cars 2′ Character Stats, New Tokyo Party Clip and New Still as Sophia Loren Joins International Cast