A large, dysfunctional family is brought together for a surprise birthday party for patriarch Jack Scanlan and for the funeral that follows, Jack dying from a heart attack from the surprise.
Everybody's assorted issues are brought to light. There is eldest son Johnny, a tree surgeon who wants more adventure in his life. There is his brother Frank, a labor leader who wants to live up to his father's expectations. There is sister Tracy, a dancer, her gay ex-husband Boyd and the embalmer Peter who is in love with her. There is a literal sister, Nora, a nun based in Latin America.
And there are unfamiliar faces, too, like a woman named Cassie who turns up at the funeral and may or may not have been their late father's mistress. It's a chance for everyone to get acquainted or reacquainted and it's all in the family.
- Bob Hoskins - Johnny Scanlan
- Jack Warden - Jack Scanlan
- William Petersen - Frank Scanlan
- Diana Bellamy - BJ
- Don Brockett - Froggie
- Helen Lloyd Breed - Aunt Maureen
- Patricia O'Connell - Mrs. Finch
- Sally Gracie - Mrs. Cassidy
- Ruth Jaroslow - Mrs. Richfield
- Alice Eisner - Aunt Sissy
- Maureen Stapleton - Mary Scanlan
- Pamela Reed - Terry Scanlan Pinter
- Tim Curry - Boyd Pinter
- Louis Mustillo - Carmine Syracusa
- Ann Shea - Louise
- Peter Riegert - Peter Syracusa
- Tristan Tait - Sam Scanlan
- Blair Brown - Amy Scanlan
- Sara Rue - Megan Scanlan
- Deborah Rush - Denise Scanlan
- Patrick Breen - Father Hallahan
- Nancy Travis - Cassie Slocombe
- Teri Polo - Rachel Scanlan
- Jayce Bartok - Tony Scanlan
- Frances McDormand - Nora Scanlan
- Anthony Dileo Jr. - Enrique
- Helena Ruoti - Sheila Fujoti
- Dylan Baker - Unsworth
- Jim Corr - Daniel
- Dan Futterman - Tom
The movie gained mixed reviews.
The film was not a success.
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The article or pieces of the original article was at Passed Away. The list of authors can be seen in the . As with Disney Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|