"Otis is no stranger to the tow hook in Radiator Springs. He's broken down more times than Mater's cousin Betsy after she got left at the altar. He's an old jalopy who wasn't quite up to snuff even when he left the factory, and life's been a challenge ever since. New parts are not available, and he's reached the limit on his roadside service card. In fact, Ramone has repaired him almost weekly for the past few months. Poor Otis just wants to spend some time on the open road...trouble free."
In the movie, he was first seen broken down on the side of the road on his way to Radiator Springs. Then Mater comes by and gives him a tow. He apologizes to Mater that he couldn't make it. He really thought he could make it. When Mater sees that Lightning McQueen is back home, he rushes to go see him, forgetting he was towing Otis, and Otis was getting dragged causing some sparks. When Mater finally got to McQueen, he accidentally let go of Otis, sending him spinning out into Ramone's House of Body Art. Sally and Flo got out of the way so he wouldn't crash into them. In the shop, Ramone asks how far he made it, and Otis says he made it halfway across the county line.
He appears a final time at the end of the movie. When Mater uses his spy rockets that Shiftwell and McMissile let him keep, he speeds right by Otis (who is broken down yet again), picking him up immediately and towing him again, but this time he's going so fast, Otis is actually having a nice time.
- Otis' design is similar to Fred's in Cars.
- His license plate is 06 05 62, the birthday of his performer Jeff Garlin.
- Otis is the third Pixar character to be voiced by Jeff Garlin, after Captain B. McCrea from WALL-E and Buttercup from Toy Story 3.
- Otis arrived in Radiator Springs sometime before the events of Cars 2, similar to how Wheezy arrived in Andy's room sometime before the events of Toy Story 2.
- He is the only lemon who is not an antagonist.