The area was inhabited by Native Americans for more than 2,800 years, with historical tribes such as the Lenape along the coast. In the early 17th century, the Dutch and the Swedes made the first European settlements. The British later seized control of the region, naming it the Province of New Jersey. It was granted as a colony to Sir George Carteret and John Berkeley, 1st Baron Berkeley of Stratton. At this time, it was named after the largest of the British Channel Islands, Jersey, Carteret's birthplace. New Jersey was the site of several decisive battles during the American Revolutionary War.
Films and Shows
- American Dragon: Jake Long - "The Long Weekend"
- Jonas (Season 1 only)
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen
- Wizards of Waverly Place - "Alex's Spring Fling" (mentioned)
- So Random!
- Gravity Falls - "A Tale of Two Stans"
Cities and Locations
- Atlantic City