The cartoon shows how the character, as the pleasant, friendly, and good-natured "Mr. Walker" who "wouldn't hurt a fly nor step on an ant", undergoes a change in personality to the violent "Mr. Wheeler" when he gets behind the wheel of his yellow car. As Mr. Walker he's polite, safe, and good-natured while as Mr. Wheeler; he is very mean, reckless, and predatory. Upon reaching his destination in town (we are not shown the character's reason for traveling) and leaving his automobile, he reverts to the mild-mannered Mr. Walker, whereupon he is the victim of other motorists' unsafe (and sometimes even predatory) driving habits. However, once he returns to his car, he becomes Mr. Wheeler again, seeking to impose his own will upon traffic, to the point of blaming the tow truck which hauls him away for his slow pace after his own auto accident, and breaks the fourth wall by telling the narrator, while educating him on safe driving habits, "Ah, shut up!"
- This is the first Goofy cartoon to have a fully-redesigned Goofy, with a lack of both floppy ears and front teeth. According to The Goofy Success Story, the in-universe explanation for the apparent disappearance Goofy's ears is that, for this film, he had his ears tied above his head and hidden under his hat.
- This cartoon reveals that road rage is not a recent phenomenon, but an issue recurring with each generation of drivers.
- Due to its subtle topicality, it and two 1965 Goofy cartoons about freeway safety, Freewayphobia #1 and Goofy's Freeway Trouble, have been shown in driving schools across the continent.
- This short was awarded the Buyer Trophy for the best film on traffic safety.
- Mr. Walker makes a cameo reading a newspaper in Toontown in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
- A few clips from this short were shown in the House of Mouse episode "Max's New Car", with re-dubbed audio.
- Disneyland, episode #2.12: "The Goofy Success Story"
- Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color, episode #9.5: "Man Is His Own Worst Enemy"
- The New Mickey Mouse Club, September 12, 1977
- Good Morning, Mickey, episode #11
- Mickey's Mouse Tracks, episode #64
- Donald's Quack Attack, episode #46
- The Wind in the Willows
- Goofy's Greatest Hits
- Walt Disney Treasures: The Complete Goofy (DVD)