The film is set in 2016 BC in the ancient city of Mohenjo-daro in the era of the Indus Valley civilisation. The film is about a man who falls in love with his enemy's daughter who is a dancer. Centred on romance through the cultures and ancient civilisations of Mohenjo-daro, Gowariker took over three years to develop the film with the help of archaeologists who documented the discovery of Indus Valley civilisation. The film was shot in Bhuj and Mumbai with short schedules in Jabalpur and Thane.
- Hrithik Roshan as Sarman
- Pooja Hegde as Chaani
- Kabir Bedi as Maham
- Arunoday Singh
- Suhasini Mulay
- Nitish Bharadwaj as Durjan
- Kishori Shahane
- Sharad Kelkar
- Manish Choudhary
- Narendra Jha
- Piyush Mishra
- Casey Frank
- Diganta Hazarika
Ashutosh Gowariker announced the film officially in February 2014 with A. R. Rahman composing the film score. In August 2014, Hrithik Roshan was confirmed to play the male lead and was paid ₹50 crore (US$7.4 million). Actress Pooja Hegde was signed as the female lead. On taking up the project, in an interview, Gowariker stated that there was meagre and superficial information available about the people in that civilisation, particularly about their lifestyle, food and feelings. The lack of information about the period troubled Gowariker and he decided that whenever he would get a story to tell, it will be depicted in the 2500 BC-Mohenjo Daro. On the film's plot, he was quoted as saying, "While the plot will follow the discovery of Mohenjo-daro and the culture and the vibe of the ancient civilisation, it will largely centre on a love story." It took Gowariker three years to piece together a plot of the entire civilisation through various cities and weave a love story into it. During his reconnaissance, he met as many as seven archaeologists who had been closely involved in documenting the discovery of the Indus Valley Civilisation. He had also visited the archaeological site of Dholavira. Further, with the film being set in a certain period, the whole site had to be recreated in a film studio. He was involved in working out the logistics during June 2014. The film's stunts would be choreographed by Glenn Boswell and the costumes will be designed by April Ferry and Neeta Lulla. U.K. based trainer Joshua Kyle Baker was roped in to train Roshan for his character in the film. He described the three-month training so as to allow Roshan to appear 'lithe' and 'agile' rather than muscular. Relating the natural environment required for Mohenjo Daro, Gowariker was impressed with the calamitous VFX seen in the films The Day After Tomorrow and 10,000 BC that were designed by Karen Goulekas. In September 2014, as a visual effects supervisor, Goulekas was brought on board for the film. Gowariker revisited Bhuj in December 2014 to begin pre-production.
The principal photography commenced in Bhuj on 27 January 2015. The first schedule of 101 days was wrapped up in the same city by 23 May 2015. In June 2015, Hrithik started training to fight with tigers in one of the sequences of the film. Filming resumed in Bhuj and was completed by October 2015. The second schedule of filming began in Jabalpur on November 2, 2015, where a fight sequence with Crocodiles was completed. In December 2015, the third schedule began at Film City in Mumbai. On April 4, 2016, the crew filmed the climax of the film at China Creek in Thane.
Director Akashaditya Lama alleged the makers with film script copyright infringement. According to Lama, in 2003, he shared the script with his friend, editor Ballu Saluja, an associate of Ashutosh Gowariker. Lama stated: "I sent him a handwritten script through Saluja which he returned after four days saying that he had just directed a period movie Lagaan (2001) and didn't wish to make another one immediately." Lama had registered his script titled "Saamrajya" under the Copyrights Act with Ministry of Human Resources Development in 2007. He went on to re-register the same script online in February 2010 with the title "Mohenjodaro" with the Ministry of Human Resources Development and the Department of Higher Education, India, under the Copyright Act. Two days later, he also registered the same script with the same title with the Film Writers' Association in Mumbai. However, in March 2015, lawyers on Gowariker's side responded: "Our client states that they had received a script from Mr. Ballu Saluja in 2003. However, our client returned the script to Mr. Ballu Saluja immediately without reading the same and they were not intending to make a historical film."
In mid-September 2014, owing to non-payment of their regular expenses and remuneration, the workers belonging to Allied Mazdoor Union and Film Studio Setting refused to complete the pre-production work in Bhuj, Gujarat. To this stalled situation, Gowariker took a legal route and lodged a complaint with the 'Indian Film and Television Producers Council' accusing the members of stalling work that would result in losses to the company. Lawrence D'Souza, executive producer of the film, maintained that though their payments were ready, the remote filming locations of Bhuj delayed the reception of the same.
Ayananka Bose had originally been signed as the cinematographer but when the film was delayed, he took up other projects as he was paid on a project-to-project basis. Bose failed to join the discussions prior to filming and requested Gowariker to be allowed to join the set directly after he was done with his other commitments. A displeased Gowariker replaced Bose with C.K. Muraleedharan.
The music for the film has been composed by A. R. Rahman while the lyrics have been penned by Javed Akhtar. The music rights are acquired by T-Series. The full music album of the film was released on 6 July 2016.
|Mohenjo Daro (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)|
|1.||"Mohenjo Mohenjo"||A. R. Rahman, Arijit Singh, Bela Shende, Sanah Moidutty||6:22|
|2.||"Sindhu Ma"||A. R. Rahman, Sanah Moidutty, Megh Shah||5:47|
|3.||"Sarsariya"||Shashwat Singh, Shashaa Tirupati||6:10|
|4.||"Tu Hai"||A. R. Rahman, Sanah Moidutty||3:59|
|5.||"Whispers of the Mind"||Arjun Chandy||4:16|
|6.||"Whispers of the Heart"||Arjun Chandy||3:51|
|7.||"The Shimmer of Sindhu"||Keba Jeremiah, Kareem Kamalakar||3:21|
|8.||"Lakh Lakh Thora"||Tapas Roy, Naveen Kumar||3:01|
- ↑ "Ashutosh Gowariker's Mohenjo Daro to have a run-time of 150 minutes". (May 16, 2016). Retrieved on May 18, 2016.
- ↑ "When Hrithik Roshan made headlines".. Retrieved on May 9, 2016.
- ↑ Sen, Sushmita (23 September 2015). "Hrithik Roshan's fee for 'Mohenjo Daro' is half of film's budget?".. Retrieved on 9 June 2016.
- ↑ "Ashutosh Gowariker: The tallest structure in Mohenjo Daro was two-storey high"..
- ↑ "the Indus Valley civilisation dates back to 8000 BC, making it one of the most ancient civilisations, Gowariker noted"..
- ↑ "Ashutosh Gowariker’s 'Mohenjo Daro' To Be Released On August 12". (May 18, 2016). Retrieved on May 18, 2016.
- ↑ http://www.tingoos.com/bollywood/mohenjo-daro%e2%80%ac-sneak-peak-teaser-released
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 8.5 8.6 Núria Bonals Hidalgo (9 June 2014). "Ashutosh Gowariker and Hrithik Roshan team up for Mohenjo Daro".. Retrieved on 27 September 2014.
- ↑ "From horses to headgear, everything the ‘Mohenjo Daro’ trailer has got wrong"..
- ↑ "Ashutosh Gowariker’s ‘Mohenjo Daro’ Falls Prey to Hindutva Horseplay"..
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4 11.5 11.6 11.7 Lohana, Avinash (December 16, 2015). "‘Ashutosh stole my Mohenjodaro story'". Mumbai Mirror.
- ↑ "Rahman to compose for Ashutosh Gowariker's Mohenjo Daro".. Mumbai Mirror (27 September 2014). Retrieved on 13 February 2014.
- ↑ "Javed Akhtar turns lyricist for Mohenjo-Daro". Bollywood Hungama.
- ↑ "Release Date Of Hrithik Roshan’s Mohenjo Daro Announced".. Koimoi. Retrieved on 15 January 2015.
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 "Pooja Hegde paired opposite Hrithik Roshan in Mohenjo Daro".. Hindustan Times (12 July 2014). Retrieved on 27 September 2014.
- ↑ "Kabir Bedi to play villain in Hrithik Roshan starrer Mohenjo Daro".. Bollywood Hungama (10 January 2015). Retrieved on 10 January 2015.
- ↑ "Arunoday Singh turns villain".. DNA India (29 January 2015). Retrieved on 29 January 2015.
- ↑ "BJP wilfully ignored my potential: Nitish Bharadwaj". (en-US) DNA India (2016-02-28).
- ↑ "Hrithik Roshan's co-star Kishori Shahane in 'Lakhon Hain Yahan Dilwale' - The Times of India".. Retrieved on 2015-08-10.
- ↑ "Bollywood actor Manish Chaudhari shoots in Gujarat - The Times of India".. Retrieved on 2015-08-10.
- ↑ "Narendra Jha Bags Ashutosh Gowriker’s Mohenjo Daro"..
- ↑ "Hrithik Roshan's co-star Casey Frank". stuff.co.nz (31 March 2015). Retrieved on 31 March 2015.
- ↑ "Diganta Hazarika Appearing in Hritik Roshan Starrer Film Mahenjo Daro"..
- ↑ "Diganta Hazarika in Hritik Roshan Starrer Film Mohenjo Daro"..
- ↑ "Hrithik Roshan demands Rs 50 crore for Ashutosh Gowariker's 'Mohenjo Daro'?".. DNA India (29 September 2014). Retrieved on 15 September 2014.
- ↑ Naman Ramachandran (13 August 2014). "Hrithik Roshan to star in ‘Mohenjo Daro’ for Disney India".. Variety. Retrieved on 27 September 2014.
- ↑ "Ashutosh Gowariker hires 'The Hobbit' stunt coordinator for Mohenjo Daro".. The Times of India (3 September 2014). Retrieved on 3 September 2014.
- ↑ "Emmy Award winning costume designer roped in for Mohenjo Daro".. Hindustan Times (26 August 2014). Retrieved on 26 August 2014.
- ↑ "Neeta Lulla to style Hrithik Roshan for Ashutosh Gowariker’s 'Mohenjo Daro'".. DNA India (18 January 2015). Retrieved on 18 January 2015.
- ↑ "Hrithik Roshan wants UK trainer Joshua Kyle Baker for Mohenjo Daro. Agility needed, not muscles of Krrish 3!".. Stardust (27 September 2014). Retrieved on 27 July 2014.
- ↑ "Ashutosh Gowariker hires 'The Hobbit' stunt coordinator for Mohenjo Daro".. The Times of India (27 September 2014). Retrieved on 12 September 2014.
- ↑ "Ashutosh Gowariker revisits Bhuj to begin pre-production of 'Mohenjo Daro'".. Deccan Chronicle (1 December 2014). Retrieved on 2 December 2014.
- ↑ "Hrithik Roshan in Bhuj to shoot for ‘Mohenjo Daro’", Entertainment Feature Service, The Indian Express (27 January 2015). Retrieved on 27 January 2015.
- ↑ "It's a wrap! Hrithik Roshan completes shooting for 'Mohenjo Daro'".. Deccan Chronicle (23 May 2015). Retrieved on 2015-09-23.
- ↑ "Hrithik Roshan to train to fight with tigers for ‘Mohenjo Daro’". The Indian Express.
- ↑ "Hrithik Roshan Will Fight Tigers in Mohenjo Daro". NDTV.
- ↑ "Hrithik Roshan Resumes Shoot For ‘Mohenjo Daro’ Post Back Injury". koimoi.
- ↑ "Hrithik Roshan in Bhuj during the Mohenjo Daro shoot". Bollywoodlife.
- ↑ "Mohenjo Daro: Leaked Pictures show Hrithik Roshan with 20 feet-long crocodile on movie set". IBTimes.
- ↑ "Hrithik asks fans to maintain decorum in Jabalpur". Business Standard (2015-11-03). Retrieved on 2015-11-04.
- ↑ "Revealed: Hrithik's first look from 'Mohenjo Daro'". The Times of India.
- ↑ "When Hrithik lost his cool over a pic". Mumbai Mirror.
- ↑ "Journeys that test strength of character are ones ubshould be most PROUD OF! Its a WRAP!—Hrithik Roshan on Twitter". Twitter (2016-04-08).
- ↑ "‘Mohenjo Daro’ to hit screens on August 12 - The Express Tribune". (en-US) The Express Tribune (2016-04-10).
- ↑ "Ashutosh Gowariker files complaint against union members for disrupting shoot".. Bollywood Hungama (23 September 2014). Retrieved on 27 September 2014.
- ↑ "'Mohenhjo Daro' DOP fired for taking up other projects during film's delay".. Deccan Chronicle (2 February 2015). Retrieved on 2 February 2015.
- ↑ "Mohenjo Daro (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) by A. R. Rahman on iTunes".. Retrieved on 6 July 2016.
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The article or pieces of the original article was at Mohenjo Daro (film). The list of authors can be seen in the . As with Disney Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|