The logo unveiled in December 2013.
|Directed by:|| John Musker|
|Music by:||Mark Mancina|
|Studio:||Walt Disney Animation Studios|
|Distributed by:||Walt Disney Pictures|
|Release Date(s):||March 9, 2018|
|Followed by:||King of the Elves|
Moana is an upcoming computer-animated comedy film produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Pictures. John Musker and Ron Clements (Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, The Princess and the Frog) are working on a Polynesia situated computer-animated musical film, Moana. It is described as "mythic adventure set around 2000 years ago and across a series of islands in the South Pacific." . The film is expected to be released in 2018. Mark Mancina will compose the music for the film. Along side Mancina, Dave Metzger will conduct and organize an orchestra that will perform Moana's film score.
After directing The Princess and the Frog, Musker and Clements started working on an adaptation of Terry Pratchett's Mort, but rights problems prevented them to continue with the project. To avoid similar problems, they pitched three new ideas, and in 2011 started developing the film based on an original idea.
Moana will be Musker and Clement's first fully computer-animated film. Moana Waialiki will be Disney's first Polynesian princess. Although initially rumoured to be made in hand-drawn/computer-animated technique introduced with Disney's short film Paperman, Musker said that it is "far too early to apply the Paperman hybrid technique to a feature. The Meander digital in-betweening interface still has a host of production issues (including color) that need to be perfected." According to Bleeding Cool, the film will feature a new, painterly style of CG. This will be the 57th animated feature in the Walt Disney Animated Classics series.
The main character will be Moana Waialiki, a sea voyaging enthusiast, and the only daughter of a chief in a long line of navigators. When her family needs her help, she sets off on an epic journey. The film will also include demi-gods and spirits taken from real mythology.
- ↑ Connelly, Brendon (October 12, 2013). "Concept Art And Some Story Details For Disney’s Epic, Mythic Animated Adventure, Moana – UPDATED". Retrieved on October 19, 2013.
- ↑ "The Latest News" (August 1, 2013). Retrieved on August 21, 2013. "Mark has completed the score for Planes, and will score Planes 2 for release next summer! He is also working with John Lasseter on a Disney feature animation called Moana with John Musker and Ron Clements."
- ↑ "Hispanic Business" (November 27, 2013). ""I could retire," he concedes. But why? Next up are two more Disney films: "Planes 2," the sequel to "Planes" from last summer, and "Moana," scheduled for 2018. The composer for each is Mark Mancina, Metzger's frequent collaborator."
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Connelly, Brendon (April 6, 2013). "What Disney’s Film Of Terry Pratchett’s Mort Might Have Looked Like… And A Preview Of Things To Come". Retrieved on October 19, 2013.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Miller, Bruce (August 24, 2013). "Sioux City native Ron Clements preps new film for Disney studio". Retrieved on August 22, 2013.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Desowitz, Bill (September 30, 2013). "Immersed in Movies: John Musker Talks 'Little Mermaid' Going Blu and 'Moana'". Retrieved on September 30, 2013.
- ↑ "Moana". Big Cartoon DataBase, January 12, 2014