Miraculous Ladybug (also known as Ladybug, Miraculous, Lady Bug, or Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir depending on the airing country) is a French/Korean/Japanese CGI animated action/adventure/comedy television show created by Thomas Astruc. Miraculous Ladybug is co-produced by Zagtoon, Method Animation, Toei Animation, SamG Animation, SK Broadband, Curl Stone Entertainment, AB International Distribution, and The Walt Disney Company, with Bandai and PGS Entertainment functioning as distributors of merchandise. The show first premiered on September 1, 2015 in Korea, then October 19, 2015 in France. In the United States, the series debuted on Nickelodeon on December 6, 2015. In the United Kingdom, the series debuted on Disney Channel on January 30, 2016.
Each episode runs at approximately 22 minutes for a half-hour block; there have been 26 episodes in the first season so far.
Marinette Dupain-Cheng is a young student living in the fabulous Paris, France with the power to transform into superhero, Ladybug using her Kwami (sprite-like creature with magical powers attached to a persons' miraculous, or magic jewel worn in their jewelry). She along with her fellow superhero classmate, Adrien Agreste, who becomes Cat Noir, fight the forces of evil in the city almost always brought on by a mysterious villain named Hawkmoth and his equally evil akumas. The two main characters, Adrien and Marinette have a complicated relationship caused by their lack of knowledge over each other's true identity; Marinette has a huge crush on Adrien, who does not return the feelings because of his obsession over his partner, Ladybug, who, ironically, does not return the feelings towards Cat Noir.
- Marinette Dupain-Cheng (voiced by Cristina Vee in English) is the protagonist of the show. She has a double identity as the clumsy, goofy, and cheerful student attending school, then transforms into the graceful and serious superhero, Ladybug, when danger is afoot. Marinette lives with her Chinese mother and French father in their Paris bakery, and has a love for creating her own fashion. She has an obsessive crush over her classmate Adrien, but can never find herself to bring up the courage to talk to him. She transforms into Ladybug using the miraculous in her earrings and the power of her kwami, Tikki; Ladybug is everything that Marinette is normally not: graceful, confident, and serious. Her weapon is a yo-yo that has the power of providing her with a "lucky charm" or a seemingly random lady-bug patterned item that will eventually come in handy in the situation she finds herself in. Ladybug often finds herself in awkward situations with her partner, Cat Noir, because he is open about her feelings towards her and wishes to be with her, but she sometimes finds him rather annoying and overall, is not interested in him.
- Adrien Agreste (voiced by Bryce Papenbrook in English) is the deuteragonist of the show. Despite his fame as a fashion model and being son to a rich and rather neglectful father, Adrien is more of a reserved, quiet, and obedient young teen, with way more fangirls than friends. Adrien transforms into Cat Noir using the miraculous found in his ring and his kwami, Plagg; he fights using a metal bo staff and his special power is Cataclysm. Similar to Ladybug, Cat Noir is the exact opposite of his alter-ego, as Cat Noir is loud, obnoxious, and a bit too confident, especially when it comes to his crush, Ladybug.
- Tikki is Marinette's kwami who acts almost as a conscious figure to her in her moments of doubt. Tikki transforms Marinette into Ladybug by flying into her earrings, however her power is limited, requiring that she rest and eat to recharge and provide Marinette with Ladybug's power once again.
- Plagg is Adrien's cheese-loving kwami who is not nearly as wise as Tikki, but does act like a friend figure towards Adrien.
- Alya Césaire is Marinette's best friend, and is always supportive of her, although she does not know of her secret of being Ladybug.
- Chloé Bourgeois is Marinette's biggest rival at school and will do anything to make Marinette look like a fool; ironically, she is the biggest Ladybug fanatic. As the mayor's daughter, she is very privileged and rich, and believes that she and Adrien should be together because of the one thing they have in common, their wealthy lives of luxury.
- Hawk Moth is the main antagonist of the series with many strange powers. He possesses a horde of butterfly-like creatures which he turns into evil akumas who posses the power to turn people into supervillains with their own unique powers. His character is very similar to that of The Sorcerer from Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja, turning people into monsters in their times of weakness in search of escape; in Hawk Moth's case, he must capture Ladybug's and Cat Noir's miraculouses.
- The original idea for the show was a Marvel-inspired comic book simply titled Ladybug.
- Later in development, the show was to become an anime, but it was changed into a CGI cartoon.
- In the original anime, Adrien's name was Felix, an isolated and cold young man, but the animators found him too stereotypical to other anime males, and decided to change his personality along with his name.