In movie terms, a midquel is a movie that takes place during the middle of the first movie. It differs from a prequel which takes place before a movie and a sequel, which takes place after the movie. Nevertheless, midquels are often considered sequels when there is an absence of a better name.
List of Disney midquels
- Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas: Begins as a sequel, but switches to a midquel.
- Belle's Magical World: Four different stories that were most likely planned for a television show that was never aired. Each story takes place while Belle is living in the castle with the Beast.
- The Lion King 1½: Can be considered both a prequel, a sequel, and a midquel, since we are watching it in sequel tense, we start before the original movie starts, we see scenes from the middle of the movie, and the movie ends after the original movie ends. It's status as a movie is most likely "spinoff", but it may be the first movie in Disney's direct to video movies that shows alternate views of the same movie.
- Tarzan II: Time period is presumably set during the beginning of the Son of Man montage from the original movie.
- Bambi II: Set in between the period in which Bambi's mother has been killed and when he becomes a full-grown deer.
- The Fox and the Hound 2: Takes place after Tod and Copper have met each other, but before they have grown up.
- Cinderella III: A Twist in Time: Starts as a sequel, quickly jumps back to the original movie, and then goes on as a sequel.