Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The short begins with Mater pulling pranks on the cars. These include:
- Pulling away flowers from Red as he is watering them
- Scaring Luigi and Guido by jumping out from behind their tires
- Scaring Sally by pretending to be a cone vampire
- Attempting to scare Lizzie while she is sleeping (this does not work)
- Making Fillmore replace his cans of gas by constantly adding more
Everyone is gathered at Flo's V8 gas station. Sally and Lightning McQueen notice a tow cable hiding behind some cans. Assuming it to be Mater pulling another prank, McQueen approaches the cans. Suddenly, Mater jumps out of nowhere and scares McQueen. McQueen jumps back and crashes into the cans; it turns out the cable was just from one of Mater's signs. Mater tells McQueen that he looks like he has seen "the Ghostlight". Sheriff then tells Mater not to mock the Ghostlight. He describes it as a translucent orb of glowing blue light, and proceeds to tell a story of a young couple that encountered the Ghostlight, and only "two out of state license plates" were left. Then everyone leaves in a hurry to their respected homes, leaving Mater in the dark. Mater becomes scared and slowly drives to his home. While there, he loses his only headlight. Soon, a glowing light approaches Mater, and thinking it to be the Ghostlight, pleads for mercy. But it turns out to be a lightning bug. Then, a blue light appears behind Mater, and he starts running in fear of the "Ghostlight". Then, McQueen and Guido appear and exchange successful glances. It turns out the "ghostlight" was only a lantern that McQueen and Guido hung on Mater's tow cable. After that, they say that there is nothing to fear except your imagination. "And", adds Doc Hudson, "the Screamin' Banshee. Well, G'night!" And everyone drives away, once again leaving Mater. At the end of the credits, the Screamin' Banshee appears behind Mater, but he takes no notice of the monster.
- This is the second Pixar film not to win or get nominated for an Academy Award. The first was Red's Dream.
- The song used in this short, "Behind the Clouds", is heard for a short time in Radiator Springs in the movie Cars.
- In this short, Mater loses his headlight. However, in Cars Toons: Mater's Tall Tales and Cars 2, he has it back.
- In Cars: Mater-National Championship, he still fears the Ghostlight.
- Their was a minor continuity error in the short. In Cars when the media have found Lightning McQueen in Radiator Springs, Mater says "It's the Ghostlight" when several Helicopters flash their lights on Mater after they found McQueen. But by the time the short takes place, Mater does not know what the Ghostlight is.
- This film was released after Joe Ranft, one of the cast, died in 2005.