Mama Odie is a kindly visually-challenged old voodoo priestess who lives deep in the swamps of Louisiana. She is one of the minor protagonists in Disney's 2009 film The Princess and the Frog, where she acts as the film's Fairy Godmother. She is voiced by Jenifer Lewis.
An eccentric, sunny, wise woman who has great power and doesn't use it to grant wishes. She challenges Tiana and Naveen to 'dig deeper' in themselves. Naveen wanted to be human and become wealthy - Mama Odie knew that wouldn't make him happy. He then realizes he can't marry Charlotte (for her money) because he's in love with Tiana.
Role in the film
Mama Odie first appears in the film rescuing Tiana and friends from Shadow Demons sent by Doctor Facilier. Mama Odie knows where the demons came from and asks whos been messing with the shadow man. Mama Odie takes them to her tree where they meet Juju and gets a lesson from Mama Odie by telling them to dig a little deeper for their dreams. Tiana misunderstands and thinks she should just work harder for her restaurant, which disappoints Mama Odie and her spoonbills. Mama Odie then informs them Naveen must kiss a princess (Charlotte La Bouff) before midnight for him and Tiana to become human once again. Mama Odie reappears at the end of the film presiding over Tiana and Naveen's marriage.
On board the Disney Dream cruise ship, Mama Odie is one of the last "Magic Makers" that the practical father meets on his journey. She performs Dig a Little Deeper and transports him back home as he has finally learned to believe in magic for once.
Disney On Ice: Dare to Dream
Mama Odie is seen after Tiana and Naveen's frog transformations and performs Dig a Little Deeper.
Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom
In Frontierland and Liberty Square, Mama Odie receives a message from Merlin the Wizard that an evil is arising in her area. She checks her gumbo in the pot to find that Doctor Facilier has returned from his death via Hades and plots to take over New Orleans. Mama Odie guides the park guests in a quest to defeat the villain. Mama also has her own spell card known as "Mama Odie's Magic Charm".
Kinect Disneyland Adventures
Mama Odie is briefly mentioned by Tiana in the game.
Tiana: "Mama Odie taught me how important it is to figure out what you need, and it's not always the same as what you thought you wanted."
- She is the polar opposite of Doctor Facilier, in both appearance and approach. Doctor Facilier is tall, young and thin while Mama Odie is short, old and fat. Facilier gives people what they (think) they want while Mama gives people what they (whether they know it or not) need. In addition, Doctor Facilier is implied to have "made a deal with the Devil" for his powers while Mama is implied to have gained her powers over the course of her long life.
- When first greeted, she mentioned that she is 197 years old.
- In an earlier script, Dr. Facilier would have been Mama Odie's son, who followed the path of the dark arts, unlike his mother. In this same script, there was to be a showdown between the two of them, which would have converged into a major battle during the Mardi Gras festivities.
- Jennifer Lewis, Mama Odie's voice actress, also voiced Flo from Cars.
- Mama Odie is the second elderly female to be shown barefoot, after Madame Bonfamille (although in Madame's case, she was seen barefoot for a split second when she realizes that her cats have been kidnapped).
- For more pictures and screenshots of Mama Odie, click here.